X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minge
    • Feb 2004

Low level but audible buzz.....

My HT system which is has and RDC-7 a Paraosound 2205A amp and Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi and a family of Dynaudio speaker has developed a low level yet audible buzz out all the speakers. It does not get louder with volume it is mostly notice it when my system is at idle if you will. My question to this forum is what is the cause or causes of this and what steps can I take to make it go away.

I am thinking about changing my user name to "momoneythanbrains" or "braindamage"

Thanks in advance for your help
  • pepar
    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Minge
    My HT system which is has and RDC-7 a Paraosound 2205A amp and Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi and a family of Dynaudio speaker has developed a low level yet audible buzz out all the speakers. It does not get louder with volume it is mostly notice it when my system is at idle if you will. My question to this forum is what is the cause or causes of this and what steps can I take to make it go away.
    Is it there with your source turned off or when an unused input is selected?

-
    "The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater
    -
    Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

Comment

• Minge
      • Feb 2004

It is there regardless of the source be it used or unused. I hope this answered your question Pepar.

Comment

• pepar
        • Dec 2002

It is there regardless of the source be it used or unused. I hope this answered your question Pepar.
        OK, is it there if EVERYTHING is turned off EXCEPT your amplifier? (We're doing a "process of elimination" here.)

-

-

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Do you have a cable TV or TV antenna cable connected to ANY equipment that is connected to any of the components you have listed? One of the most common sources of a ground loop hum (which sounds like what you've got in your system) is a difference in the grounds for the cable feed and the rest of the system. A quick way to check if this is the culprit is to disconnect all cable TV or TV antenna leads from the equipment in the system exPeriencing the hum (low level buzz). If the hum goes away with the cable/antenna lead(s) disconnected, then that's the source of the problem. If not, it is something else, and we can go from there.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Minge
            • Feb 2004

Pepar & Burke thanks for the responses. The aswerers are my amp "wakes up" with the RDC-7 and yes, that is when I hear the "buzz" and Burke I have direct TV and I do not have any other antenna source on my system.

Comment

• ton1313
              • Mar 2002

I had a similar problem with using a Carver AV-505 5. ch amp & an Odyssey Stratos 2 ch amp. No matter what I tried, the hum was there. The only thing that got rid of it was my upgrade to the IR RDA-7 amp. I don't know if the other amps had ground loop problems or something else.

Are you running balanced interconnects or single ended?

Comment

• pepar
                • Dec 2002

Pepar & Burke thanks for the responses. The aswerers are my amp "wakes up" with the RDC-7 and yes, that is when I hear the "buzz" and Burke I have direct TV and I do not have any other antenna source on my system.
                Try "waking up" your amp with the power switch. And have everything else turned OFF. The fact that it does not get louder as you increase the volume may indicate that it is entering the circuit somewhere after the RDC-7.

-

-

Comment

• Minge
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks to all for walking me through this. First I am not using balanced interconnects as the Parasound does not have a balanced connection. Pepar when I "wake" the amp up with the pre-amp off the "buzz" is there! Does that mean I have found the source? If so, what now?

Comment

• Minge
                    • Feb 2004

I want to appoligize to all of you, I did not see RickP's thread on the very same issue in the forum back in October. This morning I unplugged my Power conditioner that is on the same circut and plugged the amp directly into the wall with no other sources on that circuit and the "buzz" is still there. It should also be pointed out, I do have my amp plugged into a good qulity surge protector before the wall socket in normal set-up. My HT room is full of can lights if that helps at all. At the end of the day, is this small but irratating problem something I just live with?

Comment

• pepar
                      • Dec 2002

I want to appoligize to all of you, I did not see RickP's thread on the very same issue in the forum back in October. This morning I unplugged my Power conditioner that is on the same circut and plugged the amp directly into the wall with no other sources on that circuit and the "buzz" is still there. It should also be pointed out, I do have my amp plugged into a good qulity surge protector before the wall socket in normal set-up. My HT room is full of can lights if that helps at all. At the end of the day, is this small but irratating problem something I just live with?
                      Are you using dimmers on your lights? I remember my days as a sound man for a band; when we went into clubs with dimmers - usually located behind the stage - we almost always had problems with buzzes.

-

-

Comment

• Minge
                        • Feb 2004

You got it!!! Dimmers EVERYWERE about 12 of them!!

Comment

• pepar
                          • Dec 2002

You got it!!! Dimmers EVERYWERE about 12 of them!!
                          Try turning ALL the lights completely off. If the buzz is gone, then the dimmers are most likely the problem.

-

-

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"