RDC-7 audible "POP" when selecting inputs with attached source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ton1313
    • Mar 2002

RDC-7 audible "POP" when selecting inputs with attached source?

I just hooked up a new amp for center,suround, & sub duty. A Citation 5.1 4 channel @ 100w. Now I am noticing a slight "POP" from these speakers when selecting a different input, & also when selecting a chanel from dish network. It seems to happen momentarily when the RDC-7 locks onto an audio signal.

The Citation is a better amp than my previous Carver AV-505, it is much better at resolving low level detail. Maybe this "POP" was there all along, but the Carver was not revealing it.

Anyone else experience this? or have an idea how to fix?

Thanks
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I've noticed a faintly audible "pop" intermittently when selecting an external source (IOW, not the built in tuner). It seems to happen most frequently if the program material is already in play in the new source being selected, although not always even then, but not if the source is "at rest", although it has done it then, too, once or twice while I've really been concentrating to listen for it.

Also I notice it happens more frequently when I select an audio source if I am switching from a video source or vice versa. (IOW it rarely happens going video to video or audio to audio. In fact I've never noticed it with that kind of switch.) If the act of switching cuts off a song mid-note and switches to a silent source, the abrupt change from music to silence can sound sort of like a "pop", too.

I've observed the faint popping noise only since the upgrade to THX Ultra 2 -- I never noticed it before the upgrade. Since I have been using the same amplifiers before and after the upgrade, it isn't a function of using different amplifiers. Also, although it is occasionally noticeable, it has never been alarming. (That is, I've never felt that my equipment was in any danger from it.)

So I don't think you are "imagining" it, but I cannot completely explain the phenomenon, either. However, in practice, I've found that if I whistle loudly while changing sources, I do not hear a "pop" in the speakers (just kidding -- I've never tried that). :>)

Burke
    Grammar and spelling checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ton1313
      • Mar 2002

The thing that really bothers me is that it happens every time I change channels on the satellite. As my better half can tell you, I am a "channel jocky". So this is quite annoying. The pop isn't loud enough to damage speakers, just loud enough to drive me nuts!!!

I can replace the new Citation amp with a brand new adcom 7605, but I feel that the citation is a better amp. any opinions?

Thanks,

Todd

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Todd -

Seems to me that the audible performance during the entire program would be more important than the switching pops. If the Citation is really a better amp, go with it, unless the continued "popping" will put you in the "nut house". :>) (Sanity is still more important than sound quality.)

Since the switching pops are a source of annoyance to you, although it is an extra step, I've noticed that pressing "Muting" before switching sources eliminates the popping entirely. I have never detected any popping when going from Muting "On" to Muting "Off". If you are using a Pronto, it would be a fairly easy to program in the Muting On/Off steps into the source selection command sequence.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ton1313
          • Mar 2002

Burke,

Thanks for the help, but the mute does not do the trick. This sound happens at exactly the same volume. It doesn't matter if the voulme is at reference, 0, or muted. It comes from the center, sub & surounds, even if I am only listening to 2 ch, music on a different amp. I run my gear 24 hours a day, cause the amp power switches are on the back. It is not loud, just annoying.

The sound quality of the Citation is great! Very detailed & great Bass Punch. The dealer told me I would sacrifice this slightly by going with the Adcom, but gain a sweeter midrange.

Any opinion on this?

I have to let them know soon.

Thanks Again

Todd

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"