X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor_J
    • Oct 2002

DTC-9.4

Has anyone seen/heard one of these units? I'm a current Rotel owner but the feature list and MSRP of this unit has piqued my interest.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Trevor, haven't seen or heard it, but this unit DOES sound interesting. Here's the press release on it and its companion amp, the DTA-9.4:
    THX Ultra2 Preamp/Processor/Tuner and 7-Channel Digital Amp

Upper Saddle River, NJ (5/9/03) -- Integra has introduced its first separate audio video components, the Integra DTC-9.4 Preamplifier/Processor/Tuner and DTA-9.4 "Pure Digital" Power Amplifier.

“The introduction of these separate components creates a new opportunity for Integra dealers and custom installers,” said Eric Harper, Integra and Custom Installation Product Manager. “With the DTC-9.4, they can package systems incorporating performance levels and features previously found only on high-end controllers at many times the price. Thanks to the digital amplifier technology we've developed for the DTA-9.4, they can now provide high power and exceptional sound in a chassis that will run at full power day after day with no hesitation.”

Integra DTC-9.4 Preamplifier/Processor/Tuner

The Integra THX Ultra2-certified DTC-9.4 is a high performance 7.1-channel preamplifier/processor/tuner that provides optimum performance and control flexibility that is on par with the most advanced audio and video components on the market today. It features decoding of every major surround sound format currently in use, excellent connectivity with balanced XLR outputs for all channels, a CHAD touch-screen LCD remote, and Net-Tune Ethernet client capability which gives it the ability to playback digital music files over a home computer network. The DTC-9.4 is the first multichannel preamplifier/processor to carry the Integra name, and carries an audio and video feature set worthy of a flagship A/V controller. An original design low-jitter clock circuit, dual 32-bit DSPs, and linear PCM 192 kHz/24-bit DACs deliver crystal clear audio performance. The Integra DTC-9.4 will be available in May at a suggested retail price of $2,000

Integra DTA-9.4 "Pure Digital" Power Amplifier

The Integra DTA-9.4 seven-channel power amplifier is the company’s first digital and first multichannel home theater power amplifier. The DTA-9.4 “Pure Digital” amplifier provides exceptional sound quality both through Integra's exclusive digital technology, and by maintaining optimal power linearity across the full impedance range of modern loudspeakers. It is capable of delivering 120 Watts into seven channels at 8 Ohms, and perfectly doubles that power for 4 Ohm loads, delivering 240 Watts per channel. Designed specifically for multichannel home theater, the DTA-9.4's unique digital design gives it an operating efficiency of 90%, more than twice that of conventional class AB amplifiers, while at the same time having a smaller “footprint.” It also marks the first implementation of Integra's Vector Linear PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) technology, which combines an advanced digital switching topology with sophisticated shaping circuitry for remarkably detailed and efficient audio amplification. The Integra DTA-9.4 will be available in May at a suggested retail price of $3,000.

Integra designs and manufactures premium Home Theater receivers, processors, amplifiers, and DVD players that are specifically designed to meet the needs of custom audio/video systems installers. Systems integration and convergence technology protocols include RS-232, A–BUS, IR and on-board Ethernet for network connectivity and TCP/IP control. Integra has access to vast technical resources, and bears a proud heritage of over 50 years of audio engineering excellence. For more information about Integra and its many fine products, visit www.integrahometheater.com or call 800 225-1946.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• george king
      • Dec 2000

I am interested also, and am right now looking at the manual. Very interesting. I have a Rotel 1075 amp (which I love) and am looking to replace a Yamaha 995 which I am using as a pre-amp. This and the RSP 1066 are attractive.

The press release says May, and it is now July, anyone seen anything.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

The good news (in Houston, anyway): My local dealer says that, unlike the Integra Research RDC-7 which they only special order, they will actually stock the Integra DTC-9.4.

The bad new : They won't have any until early to mid August (IOW another 2 - 3 weeks). So no hands-on review of this new unit until then.

However, if a dealer somewhere else already has them and you have a chance to get a look before then, feel free to jump in right away with your evaluation.

I'm also interested in impressions of the companion power amp which was announced at the same time. Copy of press releases previously posted at: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1 If anyone has a chance to check it out, that would be good to know about, too.

Burke
        Spelling and grammar of this post checked by MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Burke, All Star is stocking them? That's interesting - you think they are trying to expand their "field of play" a bit? We could certainly use another high(er)-end retailer.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Aeromos
            • Jun 2003

Trevor_J,

I've seen these Integra separates. Unfortunately I haven't heard them yet. They are beautiful though. If you're interested since you live in Toronto, you can check it out at Brenview Electronics. They're located on Mt. Pleasant Rd. (between Yonge & Bayview), just south of Eglinton.

Just curious, where'd you pick up your Rotel gear?

Aeromos
            Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
            My Collection
            Aeromos
            Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
            My Collection

Comment

• ton1313
              • Mar 2002

anyone hear the 9.4 amp yet?

I am considering it, & wondering where it stands against the RDA-7

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Our local dealer finally has the Integra DTC-9.4 pre/pro and the DTA-9.4 power amp set up for auditioning. (They will not be stocking them but can have them in your hands in about 5 days after you place an order.) They are set up in the same room where I checked out the Anthem AVM-20 a few months ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do a head to head comparison, since they have moved all the Anthem gear to another demo room.

But I did get to listen to the Integra pieces for about two hours, using a variety of CDs with music I am very familiar with (most of my "standard suite" of selections that I've used for a number of years, plus a couple of others I've recently added, including some DVD-based music as well as movie soundtracks). On the whole, the units acquitted themselves very well. I was glad to get home to my Maggies, but the Paradigm speakers that the Integra units were driving were acceptable (and one couple who was there specifically to buy speakers bought a pair of the floor standing towers, along with a Paradigm sub, while my demo was going on, so some people really like them). :>)

I'm not going to go down the list feature by feature, but the pre/pro does have a few tricks up its sleeve I'd like to see added to the RDC-7, such as up conversion of all video to component and composite to S-Video so you only need one set of connections to your projector or TV. It handles two channel music acceptably well, although I didn't have a chance to check out its analog direct mode to see if it is as good as the audiophile-quality performance of the RDC-7.

Frankly, on most soundtracks, most processors above a certain level all do a good job with the sound. The DTC-9.4 is no exception. It handled Dolby Digital EX and DTS with aplomb. Which unit you choose comes down to other things, like performance on music, operating features and ease of use. Although the DTC-9.4 is NOT expandable/updateable (a major selling point for the RDC-7, IMO) it does come equipped with nearly all the latest b&w (bells and whistles), lacking only Dolby Prologic IIx (but it does have Dolby Prologic II, of course).

Its controls are very easy to master even without the manual nearby for reference. Of course, some of the same design logic went into its big brother, the RDC-7, and I’ve always liked its ease-of-use. It plays the performance game of the big boys priced a lot higher but competes dollar wise with the budget tier. It also looks very attractive in the rack.

The DTA-9.4 amp showed no signs of strain driving the Paradigms, even though we played some section of the music and most of the movie soundtrack material pretty darned LOUD... no sign of strain or clipping. Any harshness in the sound during the demo was either in the recorded material (I know these recording well enough to know when a system is "glossing over" the weak spots or accurately reproducing them) or a limitation of having a room crowded with a lot of stuff (there were times various wall hangings and the coffee table rattled, especially during a couple of scenes in Attack of the Clones).

I think the choice between the DTA-9.4 power amp or the RDA-7 would be a matter of speaker load to be driven, size of room to fill with sound and budget. The RDA-7 is a refined powerhouse, but the DTA-9.4 does a nice job too. Honestly, though, I wouldn't use either one for the front two channels in my system, at least not for music -- I have been spoiled forever by the incomparable BEL 1001 Mk V in my system and cannot envision replacing it with a "multichannel" amp any time soon, not even ones as good as the RDA-7 or the DTA-9.4.

If you are in the Houston area, the dealer would be happy to give you a run at the Integra separates, too. (Alas, they no longer have any of the Integra Research equipment on display, although they can still order it for you.) I'd be interested in reading others' opinions after you have a chance to audition them, wherever you are located.

Burke

Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"