X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dschamis
    • Sep 2001

Zone 2 Question

OK - here's my situation. I am about to move into a new apartment, and one of the things I plan on doing is having all my HT equipment in my bedroom, with wires running into the living room (which is the main listening room).

But I also want the bedroom to be the 2nd zone, so that I can watch TV, through the RDC-7 as a switcher, in the bedroom.

I am using a Pronto Pro w/ RF capability for the remote.

So I think what I need to do is run an Onkyo remote extender(not sure of the name - the thing that receives IR signals, and sends them directly into the RDC-7 via the port in the back) in the living room. This is the easy part - the next part gets trickier!

When I'm in the bedroom, I want to use the RDC-7 as my Zone 2, but since the RDC-7 is actually in the bedroom, any IR signals I send it via the Zone 2 port, will also be picked up by the main sensor. So one option I have is to cover up the main sensor, but this is not a very clean idea.

Does anyone know of any way to make the main sensor Zone 2, or to disable the sensor?

I know this post probably isn't very clear, but hopefully you guys will get the picture, and maybe have some creative ideas for me.

Thanks,

David
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

David --

This weekend, before I send off my RDC-7 for the upgrade, I'll see if I can figure out some better advice than "put electrician's tape over the sensor". :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dschamis
      • Sep 2001

Burke,

Thanks - one idea I had, which is not perfect, is to buy a second Pronto RF receiver, set it to a different code, and then use my Pronto Pro from the bedroom, on RF mode. This way, no IR signals will be sent.

The problem with this is that if two people want to watch in separate rooms, it won't work unless I buy another Pronto Pro (which is now starting to get expensive versus some electrical tape).

David

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

David -

If you were using the HKT-700 Multiroom Kit with the RDC-7 in the primary room and the remote sensor in the second room (Zone 2), you would aim the Pronto at the RDC-7 for primary zone use and when you were in zone 2, you would aim at the remote sensor in that other room, whose signal would then be "repeated" to the RDC-7.

Since you will be setting up the RDC-7 in the Zone 2 room, but will typically be operating it as if it were in the primary room, and other times as if you really were in Zone 2, why not set up the remote sensor across the room from the RDC-7 instead of right next to it? (The signal repeater still would be at the RDC-7 as if the remote sensor were in another room instead of the same room.) Then aim the Pronto at the remote sensor for Zone 2 operation, but aim directly at the RDC-7 for primary operation.

Does that make sense?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"