X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Goff
    • Feb 2002

Integra Research RDA-7 amp

As promised, here are my thoughts on my Integra Reseach RDA-7, which I use with my RDC-7 processor. In my current setup, I'm using the balanced connections between the processor and the amp, having purchased 7 balanced Silvercats from Doug and a balanced Coppercat for the sub (actually, two Coppercats, since I've got a Rane PE-17 parametric equalizer for the sub). I use one of the RDC-7s triggers to turn on the amp, and have both connected to a new 20-amp circuit, using a Monster 5000 conditioner.

The RDA-7 is very well built for the money, and nicely designed inside and out. It has two large toroidal transformers for power, with individual windings for each channel. Behind the toroids are seven identical circuit boards attached to individual heatsinks, which run front to back. Each assembly is connected to the back of the chassis. Singe-ended and balanced input connectors are provided. The five-way binding posts are not the best I've used, but they are fairly rigged and seem quite effective.

The amp was designed by Victor Khomenko of Balanced Audio Technologies. Reportedly, the design is quite similar to that of the BAT VK-6200, but with the addition of a little negative feedback to satisfy THX specs for distortion and output impedance. I am not a fan of global feedback, but I can't say that the sound of the RDA-7 is affected adversely by its use. In the past, Khomenko's solid state amps have been very simple two-stage, single-ended bridged/balanced designs using MOSFETS. The VK-6200 and RDA-7 represent quite a departure, employing a more conventional three-stage circuit using bipolars. The older amps always sounded a bit too lush and MOSFET misty to me, smoothing over a little too much of the life and detail in music.

The RDA-7 is quite a departure from the old BAT sound. To me, it is quite dynamic, detailed, and lively, and perhaps a bit light sounding, but still very smooth. (For analog fans, its more Clearaudio than Koetsu.) It produces much more low level detail than most amps, and comes close in quality to my favorite amps, such as the newest Ayres, the VK-6200, and my friend Stan Klyne's wonderful prototype. I might well have gone with a couple of Ayre V-6s, but they would have cost a great deal more. I'm very happy with the RDA-7, which has performed flawlessly so far. I'm glad I bought it.

Steve Goff
    Steve Goff
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Nice post Steve, thanks for sharing your sentiments on the amp.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Steve -

Thanks for the detailed account of the RDA-7. That's the first review I've read of this amp that actually says more about it than the press release! It is good to know some of the technical background, in addition to reading how great it sounds.

I wish now I had bought the amp at the same time I got my RDC-7 (since I'll never see another deal on it like the one one that was available then). Not that I'd contemplate using anything else besides my BEL 1001 Mk V for the front two main channels for music, but for all the rest of the channnels, it would be nice to have evenly matched, reliable power (plus a couple of extra channels for Zone 2). :>)

Burke

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"