X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

audio dropouts on the Atlantis DVD

Some Outlaw and Onkyo receiver owners are reporting audio dropouts on Disney's Atlantis DVD when played in Dolby Digital. It's the same problem that has affected the Pearl Harbor and the Jurassic Park 3 DVD's. The Atlantis DVD was released yesterday, January 29. Apparently Dolby hasn't taken care of the problem ( or maybe it's Outlaw's and Onkyo's problem?). I suspect that the RDC-7, an Onkyo product, also has this problem. I wonder if Integra Research or Dolby will eventually come up with a fix for this...

Razvan
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Although we have only been able to verify the problem with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor, we have been informed by Dolby Laboratories that other soon to be released DVDs may exhibit a similar problem. Unfortunately we do not know of any specific titles at this time. However we will update our web site as more information becomes available.
    The above quote is from what is currently posted on Integra Research's site. Sounds like the Atlantis DVD is one that slipped through before Dolby forced the production houses to "clean up their act" (or whatever they were going to do about the problem). Unfortunately, AFAIK, this title does NOT have a DTS soundtrack to listen to instead of the reportedly problematic DD 6.1 EX track. But since the title was only released yesterday, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen any further "official" word from Dolby or Onkyo and Integra Research on the issue. But I hope they let consumers know soon what we can really expect regarding resolution of this issue.

Burke

PS -- Since I had no plans to purchase this title, I will probably not be able to confirm a problem with this disc on my own system.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Razvan
      • Jan 2002

Burke,

I'm curious if Onkyo has already found a fix for the problem and if the new units that they're making now are bug free. Next week I will receive my RDC-7 - it's been on backorder for 1 month and they recently shipped it from Japan - and I'll check if it has any problems with these 3 DVD's. From what I've read the Outlaw 950 beta units also had dropouts but the problem has been fixed. If Outlaw could take care of the problem then it means that the bug can be fixed. I don't see why Onkyo couldn't fix it too.

Razvan

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Onkyo seem to be sticking to their findings that is it a software problem and that dolby labs are the ones responsible. Now, Hmmm, what am I suppose to do in the meantime again? Wait for whom to do what? :evil:

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

Comment

• Razvan
          • Jan 2002

The Outlaw 1050 receivers also have this problem. Outlaw, just like Onkyo, claims that it's a software problem and that there's nothing they can do about it and that it's basically Dolby's problem. What is weird is that their 950 preamp beta units also had this problem but they claimed that they fixed it and the 950 production units will be bug free. Now, how come they could fix the 950 bug but not the 1050 bug when they're the same bug? There's something fishy about all this. I hope that Onkyo comes up with a fix and includes it in a software upgrade. Now, what about the Onkyo products that aren't software upgradeable?

Razvan

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Now what about the Onkyo products that are not upgradable?

Good Question Razvan, seeing that my Unit is not upgradable. I am now a bit annoyed that everybody is pointing the finger at everybody else. Do I consider a new unit? I have written to Onkyo and I would urge others to do the same to Outlaw and Onkyo. :evil:

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Razvan
              • Jan 2002

CH,

I have a feeling that both Onkyo and Outlaw won't do anything about it. Maybe Onkyo will come up with a firmware fix for its upgradeable units but I wouldn't bet on it. I called Onkyo a few days ago and talked to a technician who basically told me that he's not aware of any fix and that it's Dolby's problem although from what I've read so far it appears that at fault is a chip that both Onkyo and Outlaw use. I think that the only thing that could force Onkyo to take action would be a lot of complaints from its customers and/or a sharp decline in sales.

Razvan

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"