X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bonzo
    • Oct 2001

RDC-7 on screen display question

Someone suggested that in addition to the component feed for my screen to hook up a seperate monitor from the RDC-7 via s-video or composite so that I could see the on screen display. (My unit is not currently visabable from the seating position) Can the RDC-7 feed both componant and S or composit at the same time from the same source? If not is there any other workaround?

Thanx for the help.

Warren
    Warren
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Warren -

I'm glad you are asking this at Club Integra (in addition to "other places" we both hang out.) :>)

Assuming you are interested in getting access to the On Screen Display (OSD) for the RDC-7 itself, rather than the OSD of a CD mega-changer or your DVD player, then a small TV connected to Monitor Out 1 (either composite or S-Video) will do the job quite handily. For the RDC-7's OSD, it doesn't matter what input device is selected or how your main monitor is connected -- if your smaller TV is connected to Monitor Out 1 and turned on, you will see the OSD overlayed on the Monitor Out 1 display. (If CD, tuner, etcetera is selected, you'll see a blank screen overlayed by the OSD, unless they also have an OSD "up" at the same time, in which case, have fun decifering.) :>)

Note that the RDC-7's OSD does NOT get output to Monitor Out 2, so that is the one you'd probably want to use for your projector, since there is NO chance of interference with the program's video signal. Some video purists are certain that OSD "taints" the video even when it is not on display; others scoff at that notion for a well implemented OSD. Integra Research lets us have it whichever way we want it.

I'm using a 14" flat screen Toshiba which I bought just for this function. This setup seems a lot more practical (and is a heck of a lot less expensive) than the "built-in" mini-monitors that some very pricey pre/pros are starting to include. In your situation, a "built-in" mini-monitor would be useless anyway, since your pre/pro is out of sight from where you sit.

I like having the RDC-7's OSD always available without having to crane my neck to see the unit itself (although I have to TV positioned so it doesn't hog my field of vision either). And it comes in handy as the tube-of-choice for watching TV news or Jay Leno's Tonight Show monologue -- saves wear and tear on the projector bulb. Or I can use it for a virtual "picture in picture", watching a movie on the big screen and catching the can't-live-without-'em headlines on the little set. :>)

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bonzo
      • Oct 2001

Thank you for the reply. I was going to hook my 13" monitor to monitor out 2 and of it hadn't been for your post I would be a frustrated detective.

Thanx again.

Warren
      Warren

Comment

• Bonzo
        • Oct 2001

Is there anyway to hook up a monitor that will only come on when it gets a signal and will go off after a set amount of time?

Warren
        Warren

Comment

• Bonzo
          • Oct 2001

woops!

Warren
          Warren

Comment

• Bonzo
            • Oct 2001

woops!

Warren
            Warren

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Geez, Warren - you got me all excited when I saw the big jump in message count for this thread. :>)

I have seen TV sets advertised that shut themselves off after a specified time, or in the absence of a signal, such as a station going off the air at the end of the day, (Sharp has made them), but I haven't run across one that turns itself ON with the presence of a signal. And I haven't seen any kind of "in-between" device that would do either one for an existing TV. That doesn't necessarily mean units with these features don't exist, it just means I haven't seen them.

Since I have replaced a lot of remotes with a Pronto TSU-2000 (although I am still using the RDC-7's remote), it is really easy to switch my small TV on and off with it when I want to view the OSD -- in fact, simply pressing the TV "button" that brings up my Pronto's TV control page turns the Toshiba on and off without even having to use the on and off "buttons" on the template. So while it would be way cool for the TV to turn itself on and off with the presence or absence of the OSD signal, I don't feel too inconvenienced having to do it "manually".

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"