X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

Onkyo Integra

I purchased my 1st Onkyo Integra from (fretters) anyone from michigan remember them and highland appliance? well, that gives away the age. I forgot the model number, my friend is actually still using it as his main amp. has to be 15 years old and ZERO problems. amazing. anyways he would like to purchase a new onkyo. He wants an all in one amp. Im into seperates... he has B&W CDM7 signature series, CDM center and SM1 rears. m&K 2 12" subs what are his options for between $200.00 - $800.00? he mainly watches movies 90% , 10% music, but he may run a second room for dedicated sound. I'll let you experts guide me. He does have an all in one 5 disc carousel cd/dvd upscale player. no blu ray yet. and not sure if he will. I think he will. lol

model number is txsv909pro. any suggestions to a newer model?
    Last edited by crytklmass; 10 January 2009, 13:35 Saturday.
    BOB
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

He may be able to get by with a regular Onkyo purchased from BB or CC. However with speakers of that caliber I'd recomend going with an Integra. He may be able to purchase a left over .8 series from a dealer, if not he'll have to shell out a few more bucks for a .9 series. I have a DTR 7.8 and love it. List was $1300 though.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• crytklmass
      • Dec 2008

Ill let him know. I told him he may need to spend closer to $1500-$2000. He has better speakers, time to match the amp to the speakers.
      BOB

Comment

• crytklmass
        • Dec 2008

he wants to know what would be a good order from best to worst to look through. ie.
        1. onkyo integra
        2. denon
        3. yamaha
        4. marantz
        5. pioneer
        6. sony

I know there are no model numbers listed and alot has to do with wattage, number of channels, processor formats, etc. I advised him to create a username and start reading some threads and then ask his own questions, that way he learns as well. My opinions may differ from someone elses and mine. budget requirements need to be considered as well. Ill let him read this thread and encourage him to get involved. There is tons of knowledge on this website, I dont have all the answers. I still consider myself a beginner to moderate audiophile. Im not real advanced, I just have a larger budget and i have sold and purchased my way up the chain. replacing my old equipment with new. approx. every 2-3 years I doubled my purchases and learned as I guess you could say spent my way up the chain. reading reviews asking questions along the way. I know this will be a great place for him to start. I have already learned alot. thanks to forums like this we can all share our knowledge.
        BOB

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by crytklmass
          he wants to know what would be a good order from best to worst to look through. ie.
          1. onkyo integra
          2. denon
          3. yamaha
          4. marantz
          5. pioneer
          6. sony
          Hard without model numbers but I will take the top model for each and only judge sound quality.

1. Marantz
          2. Yamaha
          3. Denon
          4. Sony ES
          5. Onkyo/Integra

For the most amount of feature, Audyssey Multi EQ, Silcon HQV Realta, DTS MS, DD True HD, ISF Calibration, THX Ultra 2 plus, SRS surround sound, .......

1. Denon has it all followed closely by
          2. Onkyo
          3. Marantz
          4. Sony ES
          5. Yamaha
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• crytklmass
            • Dec 2008

with circuit closing maybe he can get a good deal there.
            BOB

Comment

• Nuthed
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by wettou
              Hard without model numbers but I will take the top model for each and only judge sound quality.

1. Marantz
              2. Yamaha
              3. Denon
              4. Sony ES
              5. Onkyo/Integra

For the most amount of feature, Audyssey Multi EQ, Silcon HQV Realta, DTS MS, DD True HD, ISF Calibration, THX Ultra 2 plus, SRS surround sound, .......

1. Denon has it all followed closely by
              2. Onkyo
              3. Marantz
              4. Sony ES
              5. Yamaha
              Are you seriously putting Integra and it's sister Onkyo at the bottom of the SQ list? :roll:

On the feature list, it's even more of a travesty. The Integras and Onkyos are constistantly believed to have many more features at EVERY price point.
              Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
              Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
              SVS PB-12

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Nuthed
                Are you seriously putting Integra and it's sister Onkyo at the bottom of the SQ list? :roll:

On the feature list, it's even more of a travesty. The Integras and Onkyos are constistantly believed to have many more features at EVERY price point.
                In terms of features yes Onkyo has it all but so does denon Silicon Optix HQV Realta any one!!

For best sound quality:

1. Best recording on SACD, CD or Blu Ray music
                2. Best Speakers one can afford (70% gear budget)
                3. Room, (size and dimension and treated properly)

If those three are met the rest just need to be of quality without having to break the bank

4. Amplifers
                5. Pre-Pro
                6. Source, CD players
                7. Cables are a commodity not a neckless
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nuthed
                  • Jan 2007

Are you replying to what I said or did you get mixed up? What you posted has no bearing on what I posted.

I thought we were discussing the vitues of certain brands of receivers as far as SQ and features.

The room and speaker will be constants, so will the recordings. They have nothing to do with this. IOWs if they affect one brand they affect all brands.

The fact is that Onkyos are widely believed to offer more features than other brands at any given price point. The Integras a little less so because they cost more than the comparable Onkyo models, probably more in line with the likes of Denon.

As far as SQ I think my Integra rates fairly close to the Rotel it replaced. Can I tell a difference? Sure. But it is acceptable. I had a Denon once, I didn't like it, I thought about a Marantz, but then my dealer quit selling them due to some quality issues he had with them.
                  Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                  Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                  SVS PB-12

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Nuthed
                    As far as SQ I think my Integra rates fairly close to the Rotel it replaced. Can I tell a difference? Sure. But it is acceptable. I had a Denon once, I didn't like it, I thought about a Marantz, but then my dealer quit selling them due to some quality issues he had with them.
                    I had an Integra Research for seven years so get off my back :lol:

Comment

• nikos
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by crytklmass
                      .......what are his options for between $200.00 - $800.00? he mainly watches movies 90% , 10% music, but he may run a second room for dedicated sound. I'll let you experts guide me. He does have an all in one 5 disc carousel cd/dvd upscale player. no blu ray yet. and not sure if he will. I think he will. lol

model number is txsv909pro. any suggestions to a newer model?
                      lets keep it perspective guys. He's looking for 90% movies... and a ceiling of $800.

I think the Onkyo/Integra or Denon will be the best bang for the buck based on his interests.

However, Wettou's comments raised my curiosity...

I sold my Rotel 1057 (used strictly as a pre and powered by 1077) and was heavily considering the Integra 9.9. From my readings the issue with it is analog sourced sound is sub par, however anything digitally sourced (optical/HDMI) is possibly the best for under $2k... (if it works )

Am I mistaken?

If anyone has experience (I've never owned an onkyo or integra) what will be the comparison to the 1057's sound for both music and HT (still powered by Rotel 1077, speakers possibly 802D bi-amped)?

thanks

Nikos

PS: should I just start another thread?
                      Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• crytklmass
                        • Dec 2008

My friend just gave me the model number. He has a 909 integra pro. I told him to either buy a new onkyo integra or a denon. He likes rotel but it's out of his price range at the moment unless he buy amps and slowly replaces his integra. maybe a rotel 1095 or 1575 lastly buying his new pre-pro. A 1068 or similar processor. He has enough to buy a 5ch amp now, then he can save for a pre-amp. after all it is tax time.
                        BOB

Comment

• Nuthed
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                          I had an Integra Research for seven years so get off my back :lol:
                          Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. Or were you just kidding? I hope so. :W

It's just that your post didn't make ANY sense in the context of the discussion. With the last post I am even more in the dark. Are you confusing my posts with someone elses?

Please go back and re-read the thread and see if by some chance you got your wires crossed.
                          Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                          SVS PB-12

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by nikos
                            If anyone has experience (I've never owned an onkyo or integra) what will be the comparison to the 1057's sound for both music and HT (still powered by Rotel 1077, speakers possibly 802D bi-amped)?

I've owned a RSP1098 ( Rotel's previous top end pre-pro) and a RMB 1077. For awhile I owned an Anthem Statement D2 which I ran with an Aragon 3005 and Rotel RB1080 for the rears. I then sold the D2 for an Integra DTC 9.8 I believe that the digital sq and 2 channel analog of the 9.8 is definitly on par with the best Rotel. The 2 channel analog of the 9.8 is only sub par when comparing it to the likes of the $6700 Statement D2, and then, not by very much.

I haven't been foolish enough to try to compare the built in MM analog phono preamp in the 9.8. Just about any economy grade phono pre should beat it.

If you are going to do a pair of 802Ds then you should seriously consider better front end gear.
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• GregLett
                              • May 2005

Just hooked an Onkyo TX-SR706 to my HT setup. I haven't compared it to any of the other receivers, but it's fine for me in this application.
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"