X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musiccity
    • Feb 2006

Integra DTR 9.1 Problem -- need help

Sorry, posted on the general receiver forum also because I didn't realize this board existed. I think my installer has been feeding me BS about my receiver. I complained that it produces almost inaudible sound until it is cranked 1/3 of max, and doesn't reach the type of volume you'd normally use for DVD or CD until it is 2/3 to 3/4 of max. Installer said it might have to do with my room. The speakers are relatively efficient JM Lab Chorus. I finally a/b tested it with the same speakers driven by my old Luxman 70wpc receiver. Literally twice the sound at each volume setting. The 9.1 receiver has multiple volume controls for each speaker and I've tinkered with those and reset to factory defaults just in case something was haywire deep in the setup menu. The sound is still muffled. I've doubled checked connections, you name it. Anybody got any ideas as to what may be going on here? Any reason why a state-of-the-art 130 wpc receiver would produce far less sound from the same speakers than a 70 wpc receiver from the 1980's?
  • musiccity
    • Feb 2006

Solved!!

Reset (for some reason) is not resetting everything to defaults. Found the culprit setting and fixed it. Still wondering how to get even with my installer....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

It is always disappointing to find that a trusted resource has led you astray. I know one fellow here in Houston who easily spent over $75,000 on hardware alone for his custom built HT, and the installer hooked up his $10,000 universal player to his $24,000 projector with a COMPOSITE cable since they had already used the component connection for the satellite box. Didn't even step him up to S-Video!

Best thing to do is let the installer know that you are unhappy with the way things turned out and see if they will make an adjustment on their fee. If they are interested in maintaining good customer relations -- and getting a positive referral -- they'll at least try to do something to make it right. Hopefully they've been open and honest in describing what they were doing or planning to do and preferably put it in writing so you have some basis for measuring the variance between expectations and reality.

Of course, if they don't budge, or try to make you feel like YOU did something wrong (which is wrong for them to even try, assuming you were open and honest in communicating with them up front what your goals and expectations were for the project), the other obvious thing is to let everyone you know who is interested in having similar work being done what your "recommendation" is regarding the installer who "dun U wrong".

Hope it all works out,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"