How good is the internal DAC on the B&K Reference 50?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColoKurt
    • Mar 2005

How good is the internal DAC on the B&K Reference 50?

I’m about to buy an Apple Mac Mini for use as a music server. I’ll use the optical connection from Airport Express to send the digital signal to my B&K Ref. 50. I was wondering if anybody has compared the internal DAC on the Ref.50 to a high quality external DAC like the Musical Fidelity X-DACV3?

With an external DAC you can use the two-channel analog direct mode on the Ref.50. My amp is a B&K 7250 and speakers are B&W 802N. All responses are appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Hoopofficial
    • Dec 2004

I have not compared the DAC to the Musical Fidelity but I will tell you this, for two channel playback, I choose Analog direct for all my source component playback unless I want to manipulate bass/treble of the recording. Obviously you are getting a cleaner sound because the B&K is not manipulating and reconverting the signal. My old Adcom GCD 600 with a Burr/Brown DAC sounds great. So does my new Denon DVD-3910. I will omit, the difference is subtle but I definetly notice it and prefer direct mode. That being said, is it worth spending the extra $ on an external DAC. You will need to be the judge of that. Good luck

Comment

• ColoKurt
      • Mar 2005

Thanks HoopOfficial. I'll definitely try to borrow an external DAC from my dealer and listen for myself before buying.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"