X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smalone
    • Aug 2003

Some C2 questions...

The Halo Setup software does not seem to work correctly? I uploaded the settings but it does not show the correct information for inputs, or speaker levels etc...

I made all the changes to unit in the software and saved it and downloaded but nothing on the system changes?

What is the best way to calibrate the programmable out ports? I have 4 bass shakers and also I have a rear sub.

I set the bass shakers to "low pass" 45Hz and used 25% left front, 25% right front and 50% LFE, and that seems to work well but how to I set the level and also the delay?

For the rear sub I used 25% LS, 25% RS, and 50% back speakers and set low pass to 80Hz. Again how do I know what the level and delay should be?

All these settings also did not transfer using the Halo software??? :?: :?: :?:
  • starford
    • Aug 2003

When using HaloControl on my C1, I found that some settings took hold immediatly, and some required a power cycle. Try turning the C2 off and on again after uploading changes.

If that doesn't work, try doing a Full Upload and restarting.

Comment

• smalone
      • Aug 2003

Thanks Starford.. I got the software working... operator error there... got upload and download reversed...

Comment

• smalone
        • Aug 2003

So anyone want to give a go on this one:

What is the best way to calibrate the programmable out ports? I have 4 bass shakers and also I have a rear sub.

I set the bass shakers to "low pass" 45Hz and used 25% left front, 25% right front and 50% LFE, and that seems to work well but how to I set the level and also the delay?

For the rear sub I used 25% LS, 25% RS, and 50% back speakers and set low pass to 80Hz. Again how do I know what the level and delay should be?

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Smalone: Glad to hear you got the software working. As is always the good answer to these questions, it depends on your taste and setup. As you may likely know, the programmable out ports work in different ways. Output 2 is a duplicate of the main subwoofer, so to keep things easy, if you like you can just connect your rear sub to #2. Pro output 4 is the same thing, with a 20Hz low pass filter, specifically designed for "bass shakers" like yours. So again, the easy way is just to connect them straight to output #4. The C1/2 manual says that programmable outputs 2 and 4 have the same level and delay as the main sub.

If this doesn't work for you, and you want more customization, you can use pro outputs 1 and 3. For the sub, you seem to be wanting it to only reproduce the bass in the rear channels, and not be an additional main sub simply located in the rear of the room for bass sound amplification augmentation. Is this the case? If so, you seem to be on the right track for mixing and a filter. Either set the level with the HALO auto calibration, or with an SPL meter to match the bass output from the front channels, whether you have set the bass to come from the sub only (speakers set to "small") or from the front speakers themselves. ("Large") For delay, again use the auto calibration or a tape measure from your listening position and the HALO software.

What type of "bass shakers" do you have? If they're Butt Kickers or Aura, which are designed more for tactile bass only, then your filter is a good start. If they're Clark Synthesis, designed for much more audio frequency tactile reproduction, set the filter much higher or remove it altogether. Either way, for the mix, I would include all channels, including LFE, to make sure you're not missing anything that may be in one channel but not another. You should be able to set the mix to add to more than 100%, meaning that the percentage number is how much of the mixed channel is included, NOT how much of the programmable channel is dedicated to the mixed channel. For example, the C1/2 manual suggests for a tactile transducer using 100% LFE, 0-50% center, and 50-100% of each other channel. Set the level according to your own personal "feel", since transducers are not audible sound that can be balanced with a SPL meter. Some people like more tactile feedback than others. For delay, start with little or no delay. Again, this is not an audible signal that needs time to travel a distance to your ears. It is immediately connected to your body.

The C1/2 manual has a few "recipies" in it for mixing channels for pro outputs, which you may also find helpful.

Hope this helps!

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• smalone
            • Aug 2003

Very good stuff Chris, thank you.

For the sub, you seem to be wanting it to only reproduce the bass in the rear channels, and not be an additional main sub simply located in the rear of the room for bass sound amplification augmentation. Is this the case?
            Yes, you are correct. I have a dedicated sub in the back of the theater I want to use just for the surround speakers and I take it from this statement:
            You should be able to set the mix to add to more than 100%, meaning that the percentage number is how much of the mixed channel is included, NOT how much of the programmable channel is dedicated to the mixed channel.
            That I could set it at 100% for LS, RS and 100% rear speakers and any information that is 80Hz and below will then be directed from the surround speakers to the rear sub?

Also you mention:
            Either set the level with the HALO auto calibration, or with an SPL meter to match the bass output from the front channels, whether you have set the bass to come from the sub only (speakers set to "small") or from the front speakers themselves. ("Large") For delay, again use the auto calibration or a tape measure from your listening position and the HALO software.
            Do you mean temporarily hook the sub up as the main subwoofer and let the Halo calibrate it for both level and distance and then copy that information to the 10 channel setting? The Halo does not send out test signals to either channel 10 and channel 9 correct?

What type of "bass shakers" do you have? If they're Butt Kickers or Aura, which are designed more for tactile bass only, then your filter is a good start.
            I have the Aura (50watt). 4 of them. That is why I can not use the output 4 as the Aura’s work best at 40Hz. Wish I could afford the "bass shakers" or the "Clark Synthesis" :-)

So for the Aura channel your saying I should set the mix for 100% for everything and leave the 45Hz filter as is and this should give me the "feel" from anything 45Hz that may be coming out of any one of the speakers?

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by smalone
              Very good stuff Chris, thank you.

I have a dedicated sub in the back of the theater I want to use just for the surround speakers and I take it that I could set it at 100% for LS, RS and 100% rear speakers and any information that is 80Hz and below will then be directed from the surround speakers to the rear sub?
              That's my understanding, but it should be that the signal sent to the programmable out subwoofer channel you use will be a DUPLICATE of the
              signal in the surround channels, just cut off by the filter you impose on it. You'll still get the sound below 80Hz sent to your surround speakers unless you constrain them as well, i.e. set the speakers to "small". As for the sub mix, 100% from each channel might be a good place to start, and then you can fine tune it to your taste with experience. For example, if you use two rear speakers, you may want to go 100% rear and bump down the LS and RS to 50-75% or so.

Do you mean temporarily hook the sub up as the main subwoofer and let the Halo calibrate it for both level and distance and then copy that information to the 10 channel setting? The Halo does not send out test signals to either channel 10 and channel 9 correct?
              ooh... I'll have to get back to you on this one. Perhaps someone else could answer this one better. I don't know--if test signals are sent to a channel that is also mixed into a programmable channel, does the test signal also show up in part in the pro channel?

So for the Aura channel your saying I should set the mix for 100% for everything and leave the 45Hz filter as is and this should give me the "feel" from anything 45Hz that may be coming out of any one of the speakers?
              That seems like a good start to me. You may want to experiment with raising the filter 45-80Hz to see how the Auras react and how you like it. Also, you may want to try leaving the LFE at 100% and turn down the other channels to a little less to emphasize the LFE punch. I'll be curious how your tweaking goes.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• smalone
                • Aug 2003

Upload / Download inconsistent with their software.

It is fine if they want to use download to mean "move information from the C2 to the computer" and upload to mean "move information from computer to the C2" however the MX Editor also should have been made that way. With the MX editor software you “download” from the PC to the remote and “upload” from the remote to the PC. Of course every other piece of software I have used always makes the PC the "upload too" device so I think they should made their C2 configuration software so that it matches everyone else.

Wonder if Parasound is aware of this discrepancy in there own software?

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

MXEditor is not Parasound software, but from the company that made the remote.

Parasound regards the C1/C2 as the server and the PC as the client. This seems logical.

But its something you need to be aware off, because the first time I used the Halo Control software, I made the same mistake and just replaced all on the C2 with the default settings (even though I already changed settings directly on the C2).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"