X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AudioGuy
    • Aug 2003

C2 - Component Video Switching

I just recieved a new C2 yesterday and have been busy making all of the back panel connections. I am using the Component Video Switching but can not figure out the best connection for the Analog Audio out to the TV Monitor. I assume I should use the "Zone" or "Record" outputs on the "Analog Audio Output" section for this connection?

Thanks for the support!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

AudioGuy- As I understand it, you want to pass audio (analog, not digital) from the C2 to your television. How to do that would depend on your system setup, I would say. Are you using independant speakers, either 2-channel or in a surround sound setup? And if so, are you planning on using the television as your center channel? Or is the television going to be the only speaker(s) you have in your system?

What inputs does your TV have for audio? Standard stereo audio? (Left and right, red and white, RCA plugs)

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• AudioGuy
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for the reply Chris. You are correct in most of you assumptions on what I am trying to accomplish. Due to space limitations, I am using a 2-channel setup (with sub). My first intent was to cable the C2 such that I could use the C2 for video switching and choose whether to use my main speakers or the television speakers (keeps my spouse happy during late night use ). When using the 2-channel stereo speakers, I would also like to use the TV speakers for my center channel. Fortunately, my TV, a Philips 34PW984, has the ability designate all built in speakers as Center Channel but I am unsure the best way to cable/route this.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

AudioGuy- I think you're on the right track. I prefer to use televisions, monitors, projectors, etc as video displays only. So I would recommend in your situation that you do this:

1. Use your C2 for audio and video switching as you described. Run all audio and video sources into the C2 as your central hub. (CD player, DVD, VCR, satellite, TV tuner, XBox, etc)

2. Run the video output from the C2 to your television, so that your television will automatically display whatever video source is selected by the C2. You may ask, "what about normal antenna TV reception"? You probably have a VCR with a TV tuner built into it. I would recommend you use this to view and change TV channels. That way you never have to control or adjust your television in any way--only turn it on and watch what you have selected.

3. In your case, sure, use your TV speakers as a center channel. To do this, run audio from the green colored center channel RCA plug on the C2's "Main Audio Analog output" panel directly to your audio input on your television. If the TV has stereo audio input plugs, you can use a Y-adapter to split the signal into stereo. Then your TV will act as an amplifier and center channel speaker. Note that since this output on the C2 is a variable output, the center channel signal volume will vary according to the C2 system volume. This means that if you set your television volume level to a constant level that matches your main left and right speakers, you will never have to adjust the TV volume. Just like the video portion I talked about above, you will just turn on your TV and watch. When you change the volume on your C2, it will adjust the volume for your main speakers AND "center" television speakers all together.

You're also setting yourself up for future upgrades. The next step after that would be to buy a separate dedicated center channel speaker and surround speakers that match your front mains. Then just switch over the center channel from the television to the center speaker and turn off the television volume entirely.

Hope this helps!

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"