X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matador
    • Oct 2009

Should I Contact Joh Curl And How? re:A21

Dear Comrades,

I few months ago I acquired A21 amp. It really is a very nice amp, and I am absolutely satisfied. However, a while back, I found out a few differences between the amp pictured at Audio Advisor's web cite and mine. In the AA's photo of the amp's inside I clearly see that it uses four Elna 80v 25000uf capacitors, while mine has four Rubycon 100v 22000uf caps. Now is this something I should be concerned about and ask Mr. Curl, or you, guys, can give me simple explanation for my peace of mind. I just want to know if these two amps sound different.

Thank you very much!
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

Richard will be able to answer your questions. richard@parasound.com
    Jay

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

John Curl posts on Audio Asylum fairly regularly. Manufacturers often make parts changes and minor improvements during an amplifier's run. The differences you point out are not major.

Audio recommendations from audiophiles and free forums. Ask questions and get advice on stereos, speakers, hi-end amplifiers, pre-amps, home theater, tube hi-fi, turntables, vinyl, tweaks, music, films, video, DVDs and more. A personal Audio Advisor with tons of stereo equipment reviews. A special place for music lovers.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

That's where I've found him before in the past, can talk to him there.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Matador
          • Oct 2009

Thanks, guys. I called Parasound long before I posted here, and was told that they ran out of the Elna 25000uf caps in 2005, and since then they've been using the other caps. That makes sense, but I don't know how my previous two A21's (they turned out to be defective) had that damned 25000uf Elnas... Anyway, now it doesn't matter since I've been assured here and somewhere else as well that the difference is really very small, and won't affect the sound in a negative way. Of course, it would be nice to hear the man's (Curl) opinion on this, but I guess it is not a matter of great importance now.
          Nice thing, though, is that both Parasound and AudioAdvisor stand behind their product, and they replaced the defective units without any hassles, great service. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

There are so many things that have more effect overall. Temperature and time kills capacitors.

The lifetime of a capacitor is usually classified as the time when the capacitors value has decreased by 20%

Did you know that the lifetime of electrolytical capacitors is typically 3000 hours @ 85 degrees Celsius? For every 10 degrees less, the lifetime is doubled. So at 75C you get 6000 hours, 65C 12000h, 55C 24000h, 45C 48000h and 35C 96000h...

At 85C you would kill your capacitors in only two months(!). At 45C you get 5 years out of them...

Stocking lifetime of capacitors is often as low as 1000h @ 85C, so even if you got hold of 5 year Elnas, you would not want to use them. What you want is factory fresh capacitors that were manufactured recently....

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

John Curl is posting on his blowtorch thread at diyaudio.com most everyday as also:

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"