X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psychdoc
    • May 2005

Time for buying

My wife just gave me the green light to purchase some high-end separates. So here comes the hard part….deciding.
    I have been a Halo fan for almost 3 years (C2 and A51). I guess that is part of the problem. The hardware I love to look at is not what I would call new or cutting-edge. I would hate to buy something only to see in a few months the next, more powerful, generation of Halo come out that does not have the software bugs that seem to still exist with some operations in the C1 and C2 (see other messages in this forum).
    So here are my questions to the well-informed and helpful members of this forum:
    1) Is there anything new coming out that people know about? (a better C2?).
    2) Has anyone actually done a comparison test between the Classic Parasound and the Halo (I am of the opinion that the Halo looks stunning while the Classic looks boring, but are the two units even close sonically? If not, is the huge price difference justified?
    3) And lastly, the question that I am sure will be biased to some extent, how close is Anthem, Rotel, Lexicon and others to Halo???
    Admittedly, I have been unable to find locations here in Hawaii to do the auditions myself so I have done a lot of research from the literature but it is hard to compare when all you read are great reviews on all the different units out there.
    For those truly interested in giving me a hand, here is my situation that will factor into my choice. Although I love to upgrade, my wife hates it, or should I say, hates the amount of money spent on this stuff. That means whatever I purchase I will need to hold onto for 4-5 yrs (at least). Although I am an Army doc, I am not rolling in money and see value in a bargain (a 2% gain is not worth an extra 2500.00 to me). After using this matrix is Halo still the winner??????? If so, does anyone know of a great dealer out there who can help and has reasonable prices??? (I hope that was allowed in this forum, my apologies if it isn’t). Well, I look forward to some responses. Thanks again all, Matt.
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I sent you a PM.....

By the way, the Classic is stunning in performance.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Brian
      • May 2004

Matt,
      I'd definitly wait for Cedia, just so you can see what's coming. Like you said, the Halo stuff isn't exactly current, although still excellent performers. But if you are going to not upgrade for around 5 years, then I'd opt for something more current. JMHO

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

Brian, good point. From what I have read in this forum, I think the new Halo products will be the dvd player and p2 multichannel pre/pro.

psycdoc, what exactly are you on the market for? You mentioned separates. So are you looking for a pre/pro, amp, cdp player, dvd player? In terms of amps it may be worth looking into the new digital amps. IMO I think it is still too early to jump on the digital amp bandwagon. I am going to wait a few years. Aside from that, I think amp technology has reached a point where you will only see incremental gains. And as you pointed out, you are not willing to pay a lot more for only a small gain. So, by purchasing equipment that may be considered "old" in terms of product life cycle, you should be able to get a great deal either new or used from people who wnat to upgrade. Another idea is to really upgrade your amp and start looking at Krell, Classe, etc. These audiophile grade amps will be an improvement over the Halo but at what price. You will easily pay double to get marginal improvement. For me, the A21 at $2000 is probably the best balance between price and performance. It is not worth it to me to pay more the the next class of amps and equipment (perhaps I am mid-fi).

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Doc, all very good questions. Big picture, I'm also a military officer (AF Captain) and on my budget, I too chose a complete Halo setup. At that price point, I couldn't be any happier and I know I made the right choice. I could have saved money and gone with equipment that still performed well, but at a noticeably lower level than Halo. (i.e. Rotel, IMHO, or even another step lower, Denon) Similarly, I know I could have bought better performing stuff, but it would have cost me a lot more and I'm not at that level with my income.

So for me, Halo was a perfect solution, being a HUGE step up from my previous Yamaha receiver, but not out of the reach. More than enough of an improvement to justify the cost of a new system, but still within my reach.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• psychdoc
            • May 2005

Hi Chris,
            I actually went with the Parasound Classic setup. I now have the 7100 and 5250 running with the 2250 on order. I LOVE THEM. I am so happy with the sound and the simplicity of function even with complex modifications. The two reviews I have read are spot on, Parasound Classic is that good. It was a HUGE step up from my Yamaha reciever as well.
            Where are you stationed? I am currently in Hawaii now. I believe you mentioned that you fly C-17's, right? I got to ride on one out of Iraq a couple years ago. That thing is quite the ride! The only thing missing was packet of peanuts and a hot flight attendant but the load master (or whatever his title is) was pretty cool. Take care, Matt.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Heheheee... yeah, it's a crap shoot... sometimes you guys get us ugly boys for a flight crew, sometimes there's a cute pilot or loadmaster as part of the crew.

I'm at McChord in Tacoma, Seattle. We're starting a C-17 unit at Hickam right now, and I considered trying for that assignment, but decided to pass it up. I'm trying for another one that will be REAL nice if I get it. Stay tuned for more info in a couple months.

As for the Parasound, congrats! If I haven't already given you a banana for it, :banana: I have no doubt that you'll be completely satisfied with no buyer's regreat. That's the way I've been!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"