X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

why is the A21 so big?

Dont get me wrong, I love my A21. But compared to my old Rotel 1080, it is huge. Is the size difference due to the 50W per channel increase in power? Is it because the A21 uses the same chasis as the more powerful A51 and JC1 amps? Just curious why its so big.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
    Dont get me wrong, I love my A21. But compared to my old Rotel 1080, it is huge. Is the size difference due to the 50W per channel increase in power? Is it because the A21 uses the same chasis as the more powerful A51 and JC1 amps? Just curious why its so big.
    One reason is because the max power is rated as MAX CONTINUOUS power. If you really punish your A21 and drive it at near full power with a steady sine wave, then those big heat sinks will actually be used.

Maybe Rotel does not promise continuous delivery of the max power in their specs?!

That's also the big difference between Halo and Classic. The classic amps don't promise continuous power at the max rating.

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Uuuuuuh.... The specs only say 2x200 watts?!?!?! WHAT?!

The A21 is 2x450W in 4 ohms. That's almost (but only almost) twice the power as in 8 ohms.

As they all say, the quality of an amp's power supply can be verified by the fact that the power should double in 4 ohms. Does the RB-1080 output 2x400 watts in 4 ohms? The on-line specs don't reveal that, which makes me believe that the power supply gives up a lot sooner. Not a biggie if you have highly resistive 8 ohm speakers, but for all us owners of 4 ohm speakers it is a matter of go or no-go.

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

Pete, your passion and confidence in the A21 makes me smile.

Comment

• tboooe
          • Jun 2005

peter, so are you saying that it is unclear whether or not the Rotel 1080 puts out 200 x 2 continuous?

Comment

• ProStereo
            • Nov 2004

There have been several reviews/test done on the Rotel RB-1080, here are a couple:

Australian Hi-Fi test Laboratories:

Rotel RB-1080

282 watts @ 8ohms
            479 watts @ 4ohms
            800 watts @ 2ohms
            ----------------------------------

Stereophile:

291 watt @ 8ohms
            558 watt @ 4ohms
            800 watt @ 2ohms

Remember, Rotel is well known for "underrating" their products and not pushing the specs like some manufacturers. :T

Comment

• bhuskins
              • Aug 2003

continuous or peak ratings?

Brent Huskins
              Media Design
              HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ProStereo
                Remember, Rotel is well known for "underrating" their products and not pushing the specs like some manufacturers. :T
                The same goes for Parasound. (Look at the Stereophile JC-1 review, for instance).

However, as with their JC-1 review, those figures are peak powers. (The amp was not run 24/7 with those loads).

The original question was why the A21 is so big. It is because it can deliver 2x450W continuously, 24/7/365, in 4 ohms.

Peter

Comment

• ProStereo
                  • Nov 2004

Those are "continuous" ratings.

Stereophile said: The Rotel RB-1080 - Considering it's modest price, this is one powerhouse of an amplifier.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

I think that the A21 is the size it is just to be on the same chasis as the A51. I've been inside both the 1080 and the A21 and while less densly packed, doesn't have anything that would require the extra space. Theoretically at least it should run cooler than the 1080, with all the extra heat syncs, which it does. The 1080 runs quite warm.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ProStereo
                      Those are "continuous" ratings.
                      The quotes you use around continuous is exactly what makes the difference.

I don't doubt that they did push out that power out of the RB-1080 for 24 hours continuously. However, if they did, then they must have had a big fan blowing cool air on the RB-1080, or alternatively, they had a low ambient temperature testing room (say 50 degrees).

I'm NOT questioning Rotels ability to push out that power! I'm questioning the amps ability to dissipate the generated heat at max power without forced cooling in high ambient environments (75-80 degrees).

The advantage of the big heatsinks of the A21 is that it should be capable of pushing out full power, continuously, WITHOUT needing fans or additional cooling in a 75 degree room.

Peter

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                        The quotes you use around continuous is exactly what makes the difference.

The advantage of the big heatsinks of the A21 is that it should be capable of pushing out full power, continuously, WITHOUT needing fans or additional cooling in a 75 degree room.

Peter
                        Peter

How often do you think that may happen in the average home theater? I'm sure Babe Ruth could hit home runs with a diamond studded bat as well as he could with a plain wood one.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mpeak
                          • Jan 2005

Strange, the Rotel RB-1090 runs darn cool, even when pushing it hard.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                            How often do you think that may happen in the average home theater? I'm sure Babe Ruth could hit home runs with a diamond studded bat as well as he could with a plain wood one.
                            You're right. In real life, the max power will very seldomly be used, and especially not for longer periods of time...

Still, the big heat sinks are needed on the A21 to sustain the high idle bias current. I guess this is a much more valid reason.

Peter

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Strange, I run my RB-1080 hard for quite long periods and it barely gets warm. I have an AC fan mounted in my amp's cabinet (installed for a previous amp) but I never need to turn it on.

Comment

• r100gs
                                • May 2005

I think what is installed inside make sense for its size. What really caught me off guard is what is inside a MF A5 intergraded amp. Check it out. http://www.walrus.co.uk/musfid/musfid.htm
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"