X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Savannah
    • Dec 2004

Upgrade Parasound equipment

I currently have an AVC 2500 preamp and 2205 amp. I want to upgade. what would you suggest?
    Thanks
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I would upgrade the controller to the new 7100 and stay with the 2205. Your 2205 is a very good amp and you really need to go with the Halo A51 if you want a better Parasound amp.

If you go with the A51 you will probably want a C2 (or C1) so that you can use the enhanced features like the balanced inputs. However, note that the new 7100 is currently the most full featured controller (latest software and component OSD). Hopefully the C1/C2 will catch up soon...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh yes, Peter, very soon indeed. (hint: Santa's coming)

Savannah, (welcome, BTW, if I haven't said so already) :banana: I think Peter's right. I would put whatever budget you're planning towards upgrading the pre/pro, and keep the 2205 for now, which is a solid amp and will do well for you. Amps don't become obsolete with new technology the way processors do so quickly now! If you're interested in Halo, put the budget towards a new C1/C2 and the new hardware about to come out.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Savannah
        • Dec 2004

Upgrade Parasound Equipment

Chris
        Ho Ho Ho
        What hardware upgrades are planned for the C1/C2 and when do you anticipate them?
        Thanks

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Savannah
          What hardware upgrades are planned for the C1/C2 and when do you anticipate them?
          I don't know what's planned, but my favorite software upgrade would be a 1/3 octave EQ for each channel with automatic calibration. My favorite hardware upgrade is definitely OSD on component...

In any case, I really hope fore the EQ. That's something I really miss. The OSD is nice, but I really not necessary at all... (Soon I will know the menus by heart anyway, and can navigate all the menus without seening anything...)

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
            • Aug 2003

I want HDMI inputs, DVI inputs, component upconversion, Macintosh compatibility, USB inputs for software updates, component OSD, DPLIIx, and updated DACs. The C1/C2 is great and all, but Parasound's gotta get their a$$ in gear before they seriously piss their customers off, waiting in the cold while all other companies zoom by with their latest and greatest updates.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Savannah, nothing has been confirmed officially, so it's all rumors. But everything that Nicholtl has mentioned above has been discussed with the company as possibilities for Halo gear, whether it be in the form of software upgrades that should come out next week, or hardware upgrades that may happen here at the end of the year or so, either installed in the C1/C2, or available via an outboard additional unit.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                USB inputs for software updates.
                I sure hope that they don't spend any money and effort on this. My laptop does not have an USB port, only RS-232. My Vigatec scaler has RS-232. RS-232 is the industry standard.

You can get an RS-232 card cheap...

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                  • Aug 2003

Hey Peter, not arguing here, but more laptops than not have USB ports, and a USB port is cheaper than an RS232 port, I'm pretty sure. Cheapest RS232 port adapter I could find was like $100.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                    Hey Peter, not arguing here, but more laptops than not have USB ports, and a USB port is cheaper than an RS232 port, I'm pretty sure. Cheapest RS232 port adapter I could find was like $100.
                    Here's one for $22: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm. I bet you can find one for less than that if you look around...

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Actually, if we're going to discuss this, I'm okay with the current RS-232 port, as long as it remains available for update and control use. If the port gets used to control some sort of outboard processor with the upcoming hardware upgrades, then it might be a bit disappointing.

My laptop doesn't have a serial port, only USB. I bought a USB to serial adapter, though, for something like $20 at Best Buy, which works great. I use it all the time to update both the Halo control software and the MXEditor program for the MX-700 remote.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                        Actually, if we're going to discuss this, I'm okay with the current RS-232 port, as long as it remains available for update and control use. If the port gets used to control some sort of outboard processor with the upcoming hardware upgrades, then it might be a bit disappointing.
                        I think Parasound chose RS-232 simply because of the fact that popular (home) automation controllers like AMX and Crestron also are RS-232 based. (Or did they all upgrade their gear to USB only?)

If Parasound adds an outboard processor that requires high speed or real-time datacomm, USB probably will not be adequate anyway. In this case they will probably provide a specialized high bandwidth card that you can plug into the expansion slot of the C1/C2...

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                          • Aug 2003

True, firewire might be the standard at that point. And sorry, i stand corrected, I guess RS232 ports come a lot cheaper than I thought! Silly me. Whatever the case, I really, REALLY would like Macintosh support. I'd rather use my Mac dual 2Ghz G5 or 17-inch Powerbook G4 than my 400mhz Compaq Presario piece of doodoo peecee.

Comment

• bhuskins
                            • Aug 2003

The next standard for control will be TCP/IP via an Ethernet port. This is by far the "coolest" way to control something and is definitely the new industry standard. Companies have a long way to go to get there though…especially with the audio side of things. Products like the Escient Fireball can be controlled via TCP/IP now and a lot of the projectors on the business side of things include an Ethernet port as well. Lutron now includes an Ethernet port on their processors and there are plenty of other products out there. Anyway, this would allow anyone on the network (or a control system like AMX with access to the network) to access and control any gear that is on the network.

Brent Huskins
                            Media Design

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"