• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter1234
    • Jul 2016

B&w 804d3 sibilance

Hi
    I own a couple of 804d3's.
    In the beginning i noticed some exagerated s-sounds ( and f's, d's) but to me it didn't sound as a problem beause i really like the general sound of them. Besides i hoped that running in would change this. But now after about 120 hrs of listening it didn't. To me the rest of the sound isn't shrill or whatever but quite natural and enjoyable. The esses dont really sound distorted (i think) just long and loud. I notice it with streaming (i only use flac) and also with my cd player on about all albums. Before i owned cm10's and they didn't have this issue. I would appreciate if someone can push me in the right direction to solve this...
    Thanks in advance.
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Couple of questions, what's the rest of your system, and what kind of music do you listen to? Did you demo the speakers before you bought them and if so did you encounter this at the demo?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Peter1234
      • Jul 2016

Hi Tom,
      My premp is a rotel rc1580 and poweramp is rotel rb1582mk2. I also have an old vintage yamaha ax550 amp which i tried. I have a primare cd 32 player and an Arcam dac. The arcam dac sounds less bright than the cd. But no difference in the sibilance department. I demoed with different dealers and at home. I noticed they were a bit bright but luckely more lively than my cm10's. I only noticed the sibilance when i was listening to Cecila Bartoli (norma opera). After that i notice it on all music :-(

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Ok well I am afraid I can't really help as I have only heard 804D3s once, for a few minutes. I just thought I would ask the questions other people might do so they have all the info they need rather than having to ask it. I know the sound you mention can be like that on my 802D2s when I listen to bad recordings but I suspect that's not the case with you?

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

I have a pair of 804D3s as mu surrounds and they roughly flank the listening couch. 90deg placement. Also, they are only about 6-7 away but I have no issues with sibilance.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            I have a pair of 804D3s as mu surrounds and they roughly flank the listening couch. 90deg placement. Also, they are only about 6-7 away but I have no issues with sibilance.
            What are you using for your mains? (Out of interest not relevant to the thread) 802s?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TomScrut
              What are you using for your mains? (Out of interest not relevant to the thread) 802s?
              3 802D3 for L/C/R. 2 804D3 for SL/SR. 2 JL f113 for subs.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

Nice! Love the idea of three daleks up front!

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Hi, Peter1234.
                  thanks for joining up with us!

V sorry to hear you are not happy with your speakers, though.

have you tried adjusting the toe to get the higher frequency a bit more off-axis from your listening position?

you may be interested in this thread, as it is the only other thing i can offer which may, or may not help, other than replacing your current units.
                  (granted, i doubt many 804 owners would be willing to try this, but at the same time, it is fully reversible.)

LINK
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TomScrut
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Nov 2013

OP, what speaker cable do you use?

Comment

• TimbaLand
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      3 802D3 for L/C/R. 2 804D3 for SL/SR. 2 JL f113 for subs.
                      Lucky man

Comment

• Weetabix
                        • Nov 2009

Hi Peter1234,

Consider sending B&W tech support an e-mail containing your observations, they will assess your installation and formulate some considerations to address the issues you're encountering.

They're pretty clued-up on these issues and will be happy to assist.

regards

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"