X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

M-1 shorted?

Hello to all, I purchased used M1 speakers for surround duty and mounted and wired them. Next, I ran the AV calibration test and it indicated both were out of phase. I rechecked and ran again, same error. I then used an analog ohm meter from the av unit to speakers and it showed a short between positive and ground. Troubleshot short to M1 speaker, removed back plate and ohmed 2 prong connector and it indicated a short inside the speaker.
    Here's the kicker. The speakers work and do not short out the av rx. Installed on another amp and both were OK , no shutdown.
    Is this normal for M1 speakers being shorted? I doubt.
    I'm concerned that I own 2 bad speakers that will eventually blow my amps even though they produce sound.
    Any thoghts ? If anyone has the ability to ohm out there M1 speakers, what are your findings?
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I would think you should be able to measure continuity through the speaker anyway, surely you just have the speakers wired up the wrong way round?
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

When you say a short, what reading are you getting? If there was a short the loudspeaker would most likely send your receiver into protect mode and there would not be any sound. I would not be too concerned about the phase issue being reported by your receiver as it can and does happen. That's why some brands have disabled the phase check as its unreliable.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

You should have resistance on the speakers, but not a short. The ohm level on an analog meter will probably be some where between 5-10 ohms.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Speakers don't have a resistance, they have an impedance - which is very different. Ok, so they do have a resistance, but a speaker voice-coil is a piece of wire, so it's resistance always close to zero. What you are measuring with your meter is the DC input resistance, which will be derived from whatever components are in the circuit. This has very little to do with the speakers impedance, which measures the complex circuit of crossover and voice-coil components at a certain frequency.

De careful measuring a speaker with a DC ohm meter - they (usually) work by applying a small voltage, measuring the current, and calculating the resistance with a bit of maths (resistance equals voltage divided by current: R=E/I). This DC voltage will push the voice-coil in one direction or the other, and speakers don't really like DC. Its possible to damage the voice coil like this.

If your speakers sound good, and the amp doesn't do into protection, I'm sure they're probably fine.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"