X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prairiedude
    • May 2012

Upgrades

Hi folks, pretty new to the forum so excuse me if this post doesn't quite belong here. I was wondering if I'm the only one getting sick and tired of new technology changes forcing us to buy the lastest gear because our current gear is no longer compatable. For example purchasing a new receiver for hdmi to gain blu-ray codecs, or buy a very expensive blu-ray player. Are other people tired of it to a point where they no longer buy the new stuff?? Are people saying I've had enough of surround sound, when 2 channel(properly positioned) sounds just as good if not better. I"m just looking for opinions, or am I the only one that doesn't have XX amount of money to spend every time there's a new change in technology???

My situation: Arcam avr300 receiver
    Option 1 - expensive good quality player with analogue outputs
    Option 2 - new receiver, same quality - even more expensive
    Option 3 - my current Arcam setup with a cheaper sony or pani player and forget and the codecs.
    Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
    Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
    Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
    Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
    Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
    Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I kinda' disagree about the 2 channel sounding as good for movies as surround. However, if that is what you believe and prefer I would go with option 1. If you are planning on adopting surround sound and getting the speakers to do it, then option 2 is probably best.

Like you, my Amp does not have HDMI and I frankly am perfectly happy with the sound I get from Dolby Digital and DTS. If I absolutely had the money and the desire to try the Hi res audio, I would just get a good BD player that internally does the decoding and send it to my Rotel that way. I'm not in a super rush though to be honest!!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

I was in the same boat until recently. Bought an OPPO 95 to act as my decoder for HD audio. Fed it to my expensive at the time Rotel 1098. Just sold the OPPO 95 because I am not really much a two channel listener and really the new HD codecs were not that much of an improvement over DTS and DD. Bought an inexpensive, relatively, Anthem MRX 300 receiver to act as a pre/pro. Sound improvement due to ARC absolutely worth it. Good EQ and room treatment is the way to go in my opinion.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Hi Prairiedude,

I'm an old fashioned 2-channel stereo guy but I'm really enjoying the hi-rez audio on Blu-ray concert discs. I bought an OPPO BDP-95 to take advantage of the new codecs. My research concluded that the OPPO provided the best quality sound at a reasonable price, and it features a particularly good stereo output.

It's hard to describe the advantages that hi-rez audio provides. It's not like a veil has been lifted or any similar cliché you can think of. It's just that the new audio has greater density, and this makes for a better listening experience. That's the only way I can describe it. Dynamic range is sometimes better too, but that's not guaranteed because it depends on the mastering.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Well said Nigel !!. "Density" is a good way to describe it. The essence of this forum is the pursuit of great audio and video. That usually means buying and selling stuff until you find what you think is a 'holy grail' of sound. That usually means upgrading one way or another. So to answer the original post, no I'm not fed up of new technology changes because they usually amount to better performance!.

.....except for the new Ikea stuff of course!!! Hehehe!!!
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"