X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tore_v1
    • May 2010

How small room can 803D be used in?

I've got a rather small room right now, 3*4m, and I've got the following setup:
    DDDAC (five towers) (movie/music server connected with USB)
    Sota Comet, RB301 and a Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity A308cr pre
    Muse Model Three Hundred mono's

The room is rather small, and I'm not likely to get a room very much larger, albeit I'm moving a few months to a new location, and I hope to get at least 4*5m, or 20 sq.meters (215 square feet according to google).

I'm going for a set of B&W speakers as I can get a very good price, also with Dali-speakers too. I've almost decided on either of the middle three models of the 800-series, 802, 803 or 804 Diamond.

The question is now - am I going completely insane trying to get 802 playing in such a small room? How about 803? The 804 is also an option, but I must admit I want the extra punch and size the two larger ones will give me.

I will have the chance to audition all, wich I will, but I've got a good offer on the 803D now, the old model, and I wanted some second opinions as to what I can expect in a rather small room. I will do some accoustic treatment, but there will be limitations to how much I can put into the room as it will be my living room as well as music room/film room.

All comments will be appreciated.
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

I think you'd be better off with the 804 + any competent powered subwoofer. Otherwise I don't think the room will be necessarily too small for the 803, I've had big 15"s in a smaller room, you're just going to have a real tight sweet spot to work with otherwise.... The nice thing about the separate sub is you can keep room modes confined to one bass driver (at least the lower bass, crossing over higher than the normal 80Hz helped be a lot in a smaller room) -- having a powered sub just gives you more flexibility with fine tuning plus I'm fairly sure will dig deeper with more power than a 803D. The main problem with a sub is getting that seamless integration which like TV calibration, can be very difficult without some type of testing tools (test tones/SPL meter). I think most 2-channel guys shy away from using a sub because they can't easily get that seamless integration and toss the idea away because the flip-floppity sound draws too much attention to when the sub is used.

Comment

• Horacio
      • Jan 2005

I'm a 2-channel guy and use a sub, and love it!! You are right, though, integrating takes time and effort. I have 804S + Rel Storm III in a 10x4.5 meter, and can't say the bass is shy. I'm still treating the room with more bass traps as I figure out to sort of hide them away because it's also the living room. Haven't had success at hidding the two 1.5m tall x 0.4m diameter tube traps!!! But I did get permision to keep them!!

I have not tried the 802D in such a small room, but my GUESS is it will be too much.
      Also want to highlight a very important point emig5m made: having a separate sub so you can detach it's position from the main speakers is especially important in small rooms, were room modes have a larger imapct. The best location for the speaker is likely not the best location for the woofer, or subwoofer here, so it will be a compromise. You will reduce the extent of your compromise by having a separate unit for the sub. Just my thought, of course.

Horacio

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
        • May 2010

It is like car audio. If you play it loud, it would be boomy, windows shaking & ear drum cracking. If you listen it at low volume, it sounds just like 804d or 805d and the potentials of 803D were not released. So why would you need 803D, but it does look better though.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I'm not qualified to comment on the sound differences , but if you get the opportunity to enlarge your listening space do you want to buy new speakers again? I'm of the school of thought that you get the best you can afford (not always biggest)-but I'm poor.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

Tore,

I sent you an email.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"