• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pazu
    Hi everyone!

Do you know if B&W will show new 800 series to next CES?
    Yes they will.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      Yes they will.

Eric
      You mean the one this Jan, like in 4 week!!!

Comment

• pazu
        • Nov 2009

Yes they will.

Eric
        Fine!

I hope somebody - ken49r? - in this forum will go to CES and write some news about 800 series. It would be perfect to get a lot of photos too!

:T

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Fine!

I hope somebody - ken49r? - in this forum will go to CES and write some news about 800 series. It would be perfect to get a lot of photos too!

:T
          I'm going to CES. Is anyone else planning on going? Would be nice to meet up. :T
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nolan B
            You mean the one this Jan, like in 4 week!!!
            Yes, the one in four weeks.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Who here is going and will commit to plenty of B&W speaker pics?

Also on that note I am always amazed at how crappy amateur pictures are from CES. Its almost like people try to make them look poor and blurry. Strange considering most people are technical who attend, or at least like electronic toys and should be able to use a digital camera.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

From the preliminary info we received, the only cosmetic change will be a gloss black finish will be available. All other changes will be internal and they didn't tell what those were other than all speakers will have diamond tweeters. All of the changes will be "discussed in depth prior to launch" according to the e-mail that went out to dealers.

Eric

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  I'm going to CES. Is anyone else planning on going? Would be nice to meet up. :T
                  Would be nice to meet you but CES is a whirlwind for me. This year, I have only 3 days!

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nolan B
                    Who here is going and will commit to plenty of B&W speaker pics?

Also on that note I am always amazed at how crappy amateur pictures are from CES. Its almost like people try to make them look poor and blurry. Strange considering most people are technical who attend, or at least like electronic toys and should be able to use a digital camera.
                    The problem of CES is you have to squeeze a weeks worth of displays into 4. its very much a rush from one room/display to the next.

Comment

• pazu
                      • Nov 2009

From the preliminary info we received, the only cosmetic change will be a gloss black finish will be available. All other changes will be internal and they didn't tell what those were other than all speakers will have diamond tweeters. All of the changes will be "discussed in depth prior to launch" according to the e-mail that went out to dealers.

Eric
                      Thanks, Eric.

So, do you think that 803D will be with 3 woofer again?

I think it would be better an 803D with 2 woofer only, similar 803S but with diamond tweeter...

What do you think about this?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

Thanks, Eric.

So, do you think that 803D will be with 3 woofer again?

I think it would be better an 803D with 2 woofer only, similar 803S but with diamond tweeter...

What do you think about this?
                        I don't know yet. All that was said in the e-mail was all speakers will have diamond tweeters and there are changes made to improve performance that are internal with more details to come. The did tell us what the line up will be and judging by the price of the 803, I think it will have 3 woofers. Here is the line up.

800 $24,000.00/pr US
                        802 $15,000.00/pr US
                        803 $10,000.00/pr US
                        804 $7,500.00/pr US
                        805 $5,000.00/pr US
                        HTM2 $5,000.00ea US
                        HTM4 $2,750.00ea US

There is no mention of rear speakers and the subwoofer, the DB1 at $4,500.00 US, has been announced already.

Eric

Comment

• Antus
                          • Apr 2008

I am hoping B&W use magnet speaker grill like CM series on the upcoming 800 series. to get rid of the ugly hole while the grill is off.

other than cosmatic change, i would think the major upgrade would be in the crossover. In the current lineup, the 802D and 803D use cheap M-Cap on the high pass mid woofer. i think they might upgrade them with MCap Spreme.

On the higher 800D, it will use even better capacitor like Silver/Gold/Oil on tweeter and/or mid woofer.

On the 801D, if B&W doesn't show it this time, i would think they are working on the newer version. perhaps with 12inch single woofer. The current 15inch woofer is just too big for regular domastic application. It also sound a bit slow when comparing to 802D and 800D.

DB1 looks quite different from the 800 series. and at $4500 each, it's a bit too expensive for 805D users. it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

• JargonGR
                            • Feb 2009

I wonder if it will be possible to upgrade current crossovers in my 800Ds! I really hope so!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

I doubt there will be an 801D replacement in the future. I know that B&W has a desire to have fewer SKUs than they did in the past (a perfect example of this is all of their subwoofers, in all series, will only be available in black moving forward) and the new lineup looks pretty solid overall. I don't think the 801D sold anywhere near the numbers the 802D and 800D did because of its size so I think it's dead.

Eric

Comment

• Antus
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JargonGR
                                I wonder if it will be possible to upgrade current crossovers in my 800Ds! I really hope so!
                                of course. In fact, some dealers actually upgraded the crossover on their demo unit. I have seen one dealer went all out on a 800D model, using multiple MCap spreme on the woofer, silver/oil and silver/gold mixes for mid woofer, and silver/gold/oil on the tweeter.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Antus
                                  of course. In fact, some dealers actually upgraded the crossover on their demo unit. I have seen one dealer went all out on a 800D model, using multiple MCap spreme on the woofer, silver/oil and silver/gold mixes for mid woofer, and silver/gold/oil on the tweeter.
                                  If that's true, then I'd be interested in upgrading the crossovers in my 802Ds. Seems like there is no cosmetic difference in the new models, just superior crossover components. That would be fantastic if there was an upgrade option available. :T

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                    If that's true, then I'd be interested in upgrading the crossovers in my 802Ds. Seems like there is no cosmetic difference in the new models, just superior crossover components. That would be fantastic if there was an upgrade option available. :T
                                    That's if anyone could actually hear the difference with a simple upgrade of the crossover components?

Comment

• Antus
                                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                      What i am saying is that dealer offer upgrade as addition service. it will NOT be an official upgrade option from B&W.

the degree of difference is quite big. you must hear to believe it. it was wow!. goes from cheap M-Cap (the white one) to silver/gold/oil is almost like upgrade the amp from Rotel to Classe.

of course thare are other things B&W can play with. for example, silver plated copper voice corn. better internal wiring. better quality phase plug (like the one on Diamond Signature). all these can improve the overall sound without even touch anything in speaker design.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

You would think for a pair of speaker that cost that of a brand new copact car they would have the better equipment to begin with. But then again I understand the penny pinching thing, yet rarely agree with it. Gotta keep those % up..
                                        B&W

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                          That's if anyone could actually hear the difference with a simple upgrade of the crossover components?
                                          I certainly think so. When I demo'd the 800D with the 802D back-to-back, the overall better balance of the 800D and the "muddiness" of the mid-bass of the 802D (which normally is not that apparent, but quite obvious when compared to the 800D) didn't seem to me like it could be just because of the different sized woofers and larger enclosure of the 800D.

I've always wondered if B&W intentionally used lesser crossover components in the 802D to further distinguish it from the much more expensive 800D, and the fact is the 800D does have much higher quality crossover components than the 802D.

I guess we will know when the new models come out just how big of a difference the crossover components make, and I do hope the new 802D will have the same quality caps as the new 800D, or else we may be back at square one. :cry:

Originally posted by Antus
                                          What i am saying is that dealer offer upgrade as addition service. it will NOT be an official upgrade option from B&W.
                                          Yes, I got that. It would be great if I could find my local dealer would be able to offer this upgrade, to at least the same quality crossovers as will be found in the new 802D. I am interested, though, to first hear the new 802D model and hear really how much of a difference it has to the current version.

Comment

• scanido
                                            • Apr 2006

I am going to Vegas that same week as CES. Does anyone know if CES is open to the Public?

I may consider lengthening my stay

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by scanido
                                              I am going to Vegas that same week as CES. Does anyone know if CES is open to the Public?

You need to register. Since this would be late registration, I believe it will cost you $100.

Just put that your an attendee and don't worry about any of the classes if you aren't interested. they arent required.

Comment

• pazu
                                                • Nov 2009

Oh, yes. I know CES is open to the public. Maybe just one day the show is reserved only for the professional operators, I think...

Comment

• dan87951
                                                  • Nov 2005

There was a time when 802's use to be $8000 new. LOL At this rate 802 will be $30k before 2012
                                                  dan87951
                                                  audio guru

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Oh, yes. I know CES is open to the public. Maybe just one day the show is reserved only for the professional operators, I think...
                                                    Nope. Only registered attendees and not open to public.
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• scanido
                                                      • Apr 2006

Ok thanks fellas. $100 seems kindda steep but it's an oppurtunity to do it once in a lifetime right!

Here's hoping that the new models use similar cabinetry as the current so that parts can easily be upgraded ie: since the 804S/803S share the same tweeter and housing, upgrading to the new 804D tweeter would hopefully be possible!!

I would be looking at upgrading all my aluminum tweeters to diamonds, as well as the x-overs!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

Ok thanks fellas. $100 seems kindda steep but it's an oppurtunity to do it once in a lifetime right!

Here's hoping that the new models use similar cabinetry as the current so that parts can easily be upgraded ie: since the 804S/803S share the same tweeter and housing, upgrading to the new 804D tweeter would hopefully be possible!!

I would be looking at upgrading all my aluminum tweeters to diamonds, as well as the x-overs!
                                                        If you go, don't get too caught up at the LVCC. Go see what you want and head over to the Venetian. The top 2-3 floors have systems of EVERY price range that you might not get a chance to see or hear otherwise.

Comment

• pazu
                                                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                          Nope. Only registered attendees and not open to public.
                                                          Oh, yes. I forgot to write open "to registered public".

ops:

Comment

• joetama
                                                            • May 2006

If you go, don't get too caught up at the LVCC. Go see what you want and head over to the Venetian. The top 2-3 floors have systems of EVERY price range that you might not get a chance to see or hear otherwise.
                                                            This...

My first year I went I didn't even know about the Venetian, then the last time I went my brother and I spend 2 days just in the Venetian.
                                                            -Joe

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2006

Oh, yes. I forgot to write open "to registered public".

ops:
                                                              Even that requires a consideration of the definition of "public." Formally, the public is not admitted but, if you pay the entrance fee and represent yourself as having some commercial/financial/technical connection with the industry, you can register. Not difficult.
                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                              _______________________________
                                                              "Music in the Round"
                                                              Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                              http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dan87951
                                                                There was a time when 802's use to be $8000 new. LOL At this rate 802 will be $30k before 2012
                                                                :lol:
                                                                Yup, and the JBL Gotham 213 used to be 7k! Now its 12k.

Cost go up, gotta keep that margin % up... :roll:

Such is life..
                                                                B&W

Comment

• Aquarius
                                                                  • Oct 2008

OK, it's official now. New 800 series are on their way. Besides sky-high new prices there will be some major improvements.

Diamond tweeter on 805 and 804 are most significant upgrade, but upgrades in crossovers are also welcome. But there will be also some changes on mid-range drivers (stronger magnet, some kind of dual configuration or so). This will not affect 805. Cabinets (this time made in UK) stays unchanged.

Price of 805D in Europe - 6600 US$ (Can't believe it)
                                                                  Price of 805D in America - 5000 US$

Guys, I need green card as soon as possible. Who wants to merry me?

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Talked two my two closest dealers and only one of them knew about it. He wasn't to thrilled about them going all diamond since that means pricing his two best sellers out of reach for most. His were exact words were something along the lines of B&W getting rid of there best sellers 805 and 804. Even though they haven't gotten rid of this model he said you double the price on anything that quickly and there goes the customer base. When I filled in the other dealer who was out of the loop he claimed he's not suprised about the serious price increase, he said B&W was "never shy about price increases." He's actually thinking of dropping B&W as it just doesn't sell he claims, "there pricing themselves out of the market". I'm thinking o great, there goes another one. I already lost my local dealer as they went out of business now the closest one 40 miles away is thinking of dropping them!
                                                                    dan87951
                                                                    audio guru

Comment

• style
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2006

Hi Aquarius,

I live in Europa too and is always so, more expensive vs. USA

the b&w805S at today in europa are at €. 2600/2700 WITHOUT stand....
                                                                      well in Switzerland chf. 4000.- for a pair of 805S and chf. 690.- (for the stand) 8O .

chf. 4690.-- at today are $. 4580.52 !! (official price)
                                                                      B&W Group is a decrease of 6% max....the dealer is caught selling more downward loses the authorization to have the products B&W...

sure you can have 15-20% off .... not easy but possible, Conlie right knowledge and with one eye closed ...

Think that there are fake buyers who tell you if I do 20% off purchase
                                                                      different products ... the dealer who gets groped spend so much more ......
                                                                      well, so in Switzerland.. :cry:

Style

Comment

• leej
                                                                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
                                                                        Talked two my two closest dealers and only one of them knew about it. He wasn't to thrilled about them going all diamond since that means pricing his two best sellers out of reach for most. His were exact words were something along the lines of B&W getting rid of there best sellers 805 and 804. Even though they haven't gotten rid of this model he said you double the price on anything that quickly and there goes the customer base. When I filled in the other dealer who was out of the loop he claimed he's not suprised about the serious price increase, he said B&W was "never shy about price increases." He's actually thinking of dropping B&W as it just doesn't sell he claims, "there pricing themselves out of the market". I'm thinking o great, there goes another one. I already lost my local dealer as they went out of business now the closest one 40 miles away is thinking of dropping them!
                                                                        Maybe, his best selling 804 and 805 could become the new 704 and 705, leaving the 800's exclusively diamond, while new 700's become the non-daimond series. It's hard to believe that B&W would just toss out these popular speakers, along with dealers, like this.
                                                                        Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                                                                        B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• WelshOne
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2009

My dealer has just dropped selling the 800 series. Now I believe there is no dealer in my COUNTRY (Wales) selling them. WTF

Comment

• boarder1995
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                            • 68

Ya, the new pricing scared me too, but the improvements are intriguing. I went ahead and bought current 803D and can't be happier than I am now while listening to everything from Rachmaninov to Sting to POD. They sound GREAT!

BUT, I am curious how this will help current owners' B&W value out. Also, interested in more about specific model crossover changes and what the FST changes will do sound wise. I'm sure we'll eventually see a promotional DVD (or bluray) out on their new improvements we can't live without.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 786

Originally posted by leej
                                                                              Maybe, his best selling 804 and 805 could become the new 704 and 705, leaving the 800's exclusively diamond, while new 700's become the non-daimond series. It's hard to believe that B&W would just toss out these popular speakers, along with dealers, like this.
                                                                              What 700 Series?
                                                                              -Joe

Comment

• timjclark
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2009
                                                                                • 104

With new 800 series speakers on their way, how much longer will the current 800's (803S and 804S in particular) still be available? How much time will I have to get the current speakers? I realize that there is no definitive answer to this question, I'm just wondering if I need to get to me dealer in the next 2 days or can it wait until 12/21 when I have a day off from work?
                                                                                -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                                                -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                                                -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                                                -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                                                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                                                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• timjclark
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2009
                                                                                  • 104

(snip) The did tell us what the line up will be and judging by the price of the 803, I think it will have 3 woofers. Here is the line up.

800 $24,000.00/pr US
                                                                                  802 $15,000.00/pr US
                                                                                  803 $10,000.00/pr US
                                                                                  804 $7,500.00/pr US
                                                                                  805 $5,000.00/pr US
                                                                                  HTM2 $5,000.00ea US
                                                                                  HTM4 $2,750.00ea US
                                                                                  (snip)
                                                                                  Eric
                                                                                  After thinking about the new pricing matrix, I suspect that the "new 804" will be the outgoing 803S with the upgrades applied to it as opposed to the 804S with upgrades seeing as how there is a $3000/pr price hike.
                                                                                  -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                                                  -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                                                  -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                                                  -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                                                  -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                                                  -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 459

Wondering if there will be some kind of marking to be able to know for sure when you buy a set if it's indeed the new series revision?
                                                                                    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2007
                                                                                      • 1532

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                                                      Wondering if there will be some kind of marking to be able to know for sure when you buy a set if it's indeed the new series revision?
                                                                                      It looks as though they dropped the "D" at the end of the model number so that should be the indicator.

Eric

Comment

• scanido
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2006
                                                                                        • 548

Originally posted by timjclark
                                                                                        After thinking about the new pricing matrix, I suspect that the "new 804" will be the outgoing 803S with the upgrades applied to it as opposed to the 804S with upgrades seeing as how there is a $3000/pr price hike.
                                                                                        That is good logic, considering that the HTM2D would be a better match to a 803S type derivative as opposed to the 804S.

The only flaw with this is, if true, is it would be very hard for one to justify the $2500/pr increase to the 803D for the added woofers.

I think it would be best to combine the current 803D + 804S into the new 803S with diamond tweeter, which would be the best of both worlds, plus it would simplify their line further

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2007
                                                                                          • 1532

I don't think so. The price just for the diamond tweeters, if they are ordered as a part, are $973.89 more than the aluminum tweeter that is in the "S" speakers. Given that the 800, 802, and 803 went up $1000.00 per pair, there is your $3000.00 price hike.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2007
                                                                                            • 1532

With new 800 series speakers on their way, how much longer will the current 800's (803S and 804S in particular) still be available? How much time will I have to get the current speakers? I realize that there is no definitive answer to this question, I'm just wondering if I need to get to me dealer in the next 2 days or can it wait until 12/21 when I have a day off from work?
                                                                                            B&W has run out of some speakers already. The 803S and 805S in Rosenut are gone and they are running low on a dozen other SKUs. For both the 803S and 804S black is the only color not listed as "very limited".

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"