X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

I for one will welcome a new design, but if the price gets pushed up significantly ill certainly entertain competition.

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

Yes I agree it does remind one of the CM series for sure.
      As I am selling mine at a very low price as it is,with the price hike it will make my 800 a complete giveaway.And I've only tried the 802D's for 14 hours.Doesn't get much newer than that.
      Last edited by 1oldguy; 30 September 2009, 08:09 Wednesday.
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• tim916
        • May 2009

A certain poster's comments are leading me to believe that we will see a refreshed 800 series sooner rather than later. Seeing how the basic design of the speakers is now over 10 years old I think it is time for something truly new.

Comment

• Hammie
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tim916
          A certain poster's comments are leading me to believe that we will see a refreshed 800 series sooner rather than later. Seeing how the basic design of the speakers is now over 10 years old I think it is time for something truly new.
          But do we really? Look at some of the classic (muscle) cars and their styling then look at the recent versions such as the Camaro and Charger.
          Panasonic TC-P65VT30
          Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
          Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
          Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
          B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
          Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
          My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
          Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by louhamilton
            But do we really? Look at some of the classic (muscle) cars and their styling then look at the recent versions such as the Camaro and Charger.
            I agree. "Change" is not always a good thing! :E

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
              • May 2008

I thought the current 800s came out in 2004... I agree, change just for the sake of change isn't good. I would hope the new 800s when they do appear are significantly better, how I'm not sure, but if pricing is really going to go up dramatically, they better sound better...
              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                I thought the current 800s came out in 2004... I agree, change just for the sake of change isn't good. I would hope the new 800s when they do appear are significantly better, how I'm not sure, but if pricing is really going to go up dramatically, they better sound better...

especially since the redesign is probably being done to bring down the cost of making them.

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

lets not be naive. b&w is in the business to make a profit.

With that being said, they may price themselves out of the bracket they are in and that might or might not be something they want to do. I also know they will release a new signature speaker every 5 years. The new CT line goes up the price spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised for b&w to come out with a new statement piece at some point...
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                    lets not be naive. b&w is in the business to make a profit.

With that being said, they may price themselves out of the bracket they are in and that might or might not be something they want to do. I also know they will release a new signature speaker every 5 years. The new CT line goes up the price spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised for b&w to come out with a new statement piece at some point...

While B&W may be in the market to make profit I am a consumer in the market to find value

I may not be afraid to spend top dollar, but i am an informed buyer. :W

Comment

• tim916
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                      The diamond series became available at the beginning of 2005, but the overall designs were basically the same as the models that were introduced in 1998. Of course, the 800 series design is very much one of form following function and I hope that B&W would not change that philosophy, I'm just saying that based on the look of the newer products like the CM series and the DB-1 I think that changes to the next generation will be more radical than those we saw in 2005.

As Nolan B alluded to, I suspect that the cost of producing the current 800 series has become too high. Looking at the price increases that Dynaudio has had to introduce over the last 5 years or so suggests that it is very expensive to manufacture products in Denmark and this would go towards explaining why B&W is going to cease producing the 800 series cabinets there. The question is, is B&W going to continue producing the same type of cabinets in the UK or are they coming up with something new (and hopefully even better)?

Comment

• markov
                        • Sep 2007

Perhaps a major price hike in the 800 series also leaves room for the 700 series to be brought back some day? I think alot of dealers and people always thought the 703 and 804s were too close in price...

Comment

• jamesdaman
                          • Apr 2008

I was told today that you are looking at around 40% price increase on all models. The replace ment for the 805S, for now call it the 805D is ment to be something amazing. From what i gather the new range really is going to be a step up in performance, but you gotta pay for it, in a big way to. They are hoping the market will take the price hike but im alittle unsure. The other downer is that putting the diamond into all of the range means driving these new speakers is going to need a nuclear reactor to get anything out of them. I have a quad 909, and it drives the 804s quite well from what im told. My 909 might find the new 805D abit of a challenge as its got the diamond tweeter. So its not just a 40% prive hike in speakers its all the other costs as your going to need even better amps and sources to get the best from these new speakers.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

the price from B&W with all new or "only" a pair of speakers go upthis is sureat 100%.

the new price will be at the begin of he bew year. if the new"serie" is avialba later is another thing but the price go up with the new year.

the 805D?! or this "basis" model will be anywayvery amazing. -> hey, the actual serie is not "shit" is one of the Best serie today and tomorow available. :T

Style

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                              • May 2008

If this info is true, I would say we are watching the start of a move "upmarket" by B & W witht he 800 series, leaving more room for something between CM and 800s, a "new" 7 series perhaps. They would obviously then trade volume for profit with a higher end 800, then try to make up volume in other series.

I love the current wood of the 8 series, I know some prefer Piano Gloss etc. but when I look at Wilson and Hansen and some of those big metal (or whatever they are made of) painted boxes they just don't do it for me.

vs.
                              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                • Apr 2008

I did ask directly about a new 7 series and didnt get a direct answer. But what i did ask is if there is a new range will it basicly be the current 800 rebadged and i sort of got an angreeing grunt. Im guessing they will take the 800 change the design and reduce the production cost and sell them at a smaller profit to shift volume. But who knows

Comment

• olilugo
                                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                                  I was told today that you are looking at around 40% price increase on all models. The replace ment for the 805S, for now call it the 805D is ment to be something amazing. From what i gather the new range really is going to be a step up in performance, but you gotta pay for it, in a big way to. They are hoping the market will take the price hike but im alittle unsure. The other downer is that putting the diamond into all of the range means driving these new speakers is going to need a nuclear reactor to get anything out of them. I have a quad 909, and it drives the 804s quite well from what im told. My 909 might find the new 805D abit of a challenge as its got the diamond tweeter. So its not just a 40% prive hike in speakers its all the other costs as your going to need even better amps and sources to get the best from these new speakers.
                                  You know if I think about it the difference in price between the 803s and 803d is about 50% right.
                                  If what you are saying is true, the they will have the 805d, 804d and the 803d and so on the 803s will go away
                                  and the price will move accrodingly so the 804d will cost 6K us.

wow I am so happy I got my 804s before this change.

Comment

• boarder1995
                                    • Sep 2009

I'm currently shopping for B&W's and perhaps should be closer to pulling the trigger on a set rather than waiting for the "new" designs. Of course most thought the 800N series was great, then the D series came out and WOW. Just wonder if it'll be a huge sound improvement this time or more of a visual update. Either way, that alone kind of makes me want to wait. It seems at though it's one or the other. Not that the visual updates don't improve sounds, but this last upgrade was very minimal visually, but made huge improvements in sound through the diamond tweeter, crossovers, etc.

I also talked with my local B&W guy and he didn't have any tidbits of information for me, although he had been looking online for information. I was actually informing him on some rumors. So, I don't think I'll be finding out anything locally...just here on the message boards.

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

and

new pictures from AlesDSL

we go see what go see B&W..

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by style
                                        and

Is that supposed to be the redesign?

doesnt look much different to me.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

and

Gad. The rings are what I hate about the CM series.
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• multivac
                                            • Dec 2006

and

Style,

How reliable is your source ?

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                              • Apr 2008

From what im told the new 800's should look totaly differnt so im not to sure about this pic

Comment

• style
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2006

is a lottery.....

we go see THE NEW B&W at the right time... before we can only immagine, supposition,...

Style

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                  Gad. The rings are what I hate about the CM series.
                                                  Funny...the rings are what I think make the CM series look sharp!
                                                  Brad

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                                    Funny...the rings are what I think make the CM series look sharp!
                                                    De gustibus......... For me, the shiny rings recall cheap auto speakers or no-name home speakers with decorative but useless doodads all over them.
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

De gustibus......... For me, the shiny rings recall cheap auto speakers or no-name home speakers with decorative but useless doodads all over them.
                                                      I agree cheesy, plus who wants shiny rings for front speakers, just so the light is reflected back right in your eyes like a mirror!!
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

If this is in fact the speakers, I see grill-mount holes. Do you keep your grills off?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                          If this is in fact the speakers, I see grill-mount holes. Do you keep your grills off?
                                                          I think the illustration is Photoshopped. I usually keep the grills on but not always.
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          _______________________________
                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

I think the illustration is Photoshopped. I usually keep the grills on but not always.
                                                            Im confident it is. you can tell where the b&w logo is on the base. there is almost a perfect black rectangle that isnt consistant. but it is still fun to hypothesize.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2004

+1
                                                              If you have something good, you don't need to sugar-coat it, right?
                                                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                                +1
                                                                If you have something good, you don't need to sugar-coat it, right?
                                                                well I agree and dont.

regardless of the rings and if you like them or not a high end speaker should look good. No way would I but something of that size in my place unless it looked as good as it sounded. I guess the problem is looks are purely subjective.

I would be happy if they kept the same design, but just added more finish options. i.e. brushed aluminum, piano black, metalic paint etc.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                  • Jun 2009

Well, my dealer was somewhat surprised by my rumors, but was able to half confirm the new series presentation in the beginning of 2010, and the 40% price hike.

So now my order of the 800D's was cancelled and changed to the new series, whenever they're available.

Hey, first to order!
                                                                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• garak
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                                    Well, my dealer was somewhat surprised by my rumors, but was able to half confirm the new series presentation in the beginning of 2010, and the 40% price hike.
                                                                    40% price hike, yikes. 8O

I think that will price me out of the 800 series. I was probably going to get some 802Ds next year. I was willing to pay $14,000, but at $20,000, I think I be content with my 803Ds.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
                                                                      40% price hike, yikes. 8O I think that will price me out of the 800 series. I was probably going to get some 802Ds next year. I was willing to pay $14,000, but at $20,000, I think I be content with my 803Ds.
                                                                      Ok I asked B&W they said they are not about to replace the 800D series. It sells to well
                                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2008

LOL B&W are lieing to you, they are running stock low and are gearing up for the new range. Go to your dealer and see if he can order you in and of the Subs in the 800 series. He wont be able to cos thers None left

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2008

It will be very minimal sonic change with the new 800 series, if they keep the same cabinet design, the current 80xD can be upgraded with the new driver(s) and crossover(s).
                                                                          SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                                          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Jovl
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2009
                                                                            • 16

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
                                                                            By the way this is not the new 800 series :roll:
                                                                            Ah no, tell more ...........

Gr Jovl
                                                                            My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                                                                            Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

#83
                                                                              Hyi guys,

the new design I dont know' but in 2010 is sure at 1000%: the complete Nautilus serie 800 willl be replaced.

I have spoked with Classe Switzerland and is official new models & high in prices!!!

if the new modells are on the net was sure not a great work from B&W....
                                                                              = the 802d in this thread is a photoshop at 9? %

But I don't know to be happy or no but the new model are on the way..
                                                                              The secret from the NEW looks is safe somewhere

Style
                                                                              Last edited by style; 18 October 2009, 03:37 Sunday.

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2008
                                                                                • 212

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
                                                                                Some dealers should keep there mouths shut :M

Why??? We have to know if there will be a new series... We made an order for the 802D and if the new speakers are better :jawdrop: , this is something that will make me :banghead: or ;-x B&W...!!!
                                                                                Last edited by planitismetal; 18 October 2009, 17:31 Sunday.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2009
                                                                                  • 504

#85
                                                                                  Originally posted by planitismetal
                                                                                  Whu??? We have to know if there will be a new series... We made an order for the 802D and if the new speakers are better :jawdrop: , this is something that will make me :banghead: or ;-x B&W...!!!
                                                                                  Well I had my 800D's confirmed for arrival within 2-3 weeks, now I have an order for the new series. ETA unknown, sometimes in 2010 though.
                                                                                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• jericho
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2004
                                                                                    • 280

#86
                                                                                    New does not always mean better

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2008
                                                                                      • 212

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by jericho
                                                                                      New does not always mean better

Exactly for this I wrote "if"...

Comment

• Antus
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2008
                                                                                        • 141

#88
                                                                                        I think it would be logical for B&W to do minor twick. listening to the current model and compariing to other makers in any price range, i don't think a huge improvement in sound quality is even possible.(the current model is considered the benchmark in speaker industry)

I think B&W might just bring the old siginature edition back. (the black tiger eye with shinny clear coat) get rid off the speaker grills (or use magnet type like CM series)

so my educated guess, the new series will be similier to the siginature series with Dimand tweeter. (and selling them at 40% more)

Comment

• JargonGR
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2009
                                                                                          • 95

#89
                                                                                          Ah the hell with it I took the plunge and order a second and final 803D pair today to complete my 7.1 setup. My dealer got a date for delivery on beginning of January 2010 though.

Now what pisses me off is the should I chose to upgrade even further in the future I won't be able to do so. Right now it will be 800Ds - HTM1D for front and 4X 803Ds. But let's say I want to go 802Ds for surrounds I won't be able to in the future and I guess I won't be able to find the pair SCMS I want for height speakers as per Audyssey DSX or Prologic IIz.

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2005
                                                                                            • 484

#90
                                                                                            Hi Guys
                                                                                            Let there be a new B&W 800 series. Just received my new 800D !!!. Don't really care about anything else they may come out with. very happy with my current system. My advice to you, enjoy what you have and worked hard for !!
                                                                                            Cheers
                                                                                            :T Socrat

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"