X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
    :B Yes, the most desired choice is to use the 802Di as the fronts. However, using the 802D as the center would not be the best timbre match, and would take away from the front stage, IMHO. Therefore comes the dilemma. I think I may try the 802Di as the fronts and phantom center, the 802Ds as surrounds, 802N as rears, and then the third 802D in the rear middle, directly behind the listener position. So it's more like 8.x! :B
    Is there such a difference between the 802D and 802Di?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• KyaDawn
      • Mar 2008

I'm reading more and more reports that the 802 Diamond is spectacular. Of course, I can't wait to hear it myself, but I think the 802D is already "spectacular". :B

Some of the supposed improvements of the 802Di such as better crossover components eliminating the mid-bass hump I think can be addressed with EQ with the 802Ds. But if you're a "pure direct" guy, that wouldn't be an option. I'd be happy if B&W really improved the 802Ds, that's a good thing and maybe in a few years I'd want to "upgrade". I know already that size of speaker works great in my room. And I'd certainly be disappointed if the 802Di's were WORSE than the 802Ds, it would seem like B&W went backwards which is no good.

Comment

• AV-OCD
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
        Is there such a difference between the 802D and 802Di?
        Considering that they revised every part of the speaker that actually makes sound (drivers and crossover), I would think so.

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

And I'd certainly be disappointed if the 802Di's were WORSE than the 802Ds, it would seem like B&W went backwards which is no good.
          This is where personal preference and subjectivity play a large role. Even though the new speaker may be technically superior, if you don't care for the voicing of the new model, it could be perceived as "worse".

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
            Considering that they revised every part of the speaker that actually makes sound (drivers and crossover), I would think so.
            I guess we will find out soon and we will see :B
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Audiophiliac
              • Apr 2006

We got some 805SDs in and hooked up today. Had a quick listen on the way out and was impressed! Very nice indeed!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                We got some 805SDs in and hooked up today. Had a quick listen on the way out and was impressed! Very nice indeed!
                Dude, you can't just buzz in here with a comment like that. What a total tease. :P

We need details.

Virtually no one has heard the 805Di outside of the noisy CES show floor.

Just tell me this. How do they compare to the Signature Diamond?

Where are you located BTW.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                  • Apr 2006

I am in Idaho. All the detail I can give you is that I was listening to music from our Kaleidescape server through the Classe SSP-800 and I think a Rotel 15 series amplifier (I do not spend much time on the showroom floor). They were just opened so are no where near broken in yet. And you can tell as with all brand new B&W speakers.

I will try and get some more listening time in over the weeks. My gut says they are everything the Signature Diamond is.....but a hair behind in every area in absolute performance.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

A bit behind on this, but... I can't really get into the look of the new 800 series. Silver rings looks nice on the CM series, but the 800 series already had it's own signature look. To me, the adding silver rings kind of makes it look like a new BMW with silver lining along every door panel and window (you know what I'm talking about... you've all seen it).
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ken49r
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                      To me, the adding silver rings kind of makes it look like a new BMW with silver lining along every door panel and window (you know what I'm talking about... you've all seen it).
                      I've noticed a trend in that all of the new products b&w released as of late include black and silver trim.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Dude, you can't just buzz in here with a comment like that. What a total tease. :P

We need details.

actually, noone heard them on the CES show floor. Just one speaker was on display. the demo was in the room in the mirage. I never had a chance to listen to them though.
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          actually, noone heard them on the CES show floor. Just one speaker was on display. the demo was in the room in the mirage. I never had a chance to listen to them though.
                          Both the 805 and 802 at the Mirage were impressive but it was impossible to draw any conclusions given the program and the conditions.
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                            Both the 805 and 802 at the Mirage were impressive but it was impossible to draw any conclusions given the program and the conditions.
                            Are you getting 802Ds for review so you can compare and recommend if we should upgrade and move the old ones to the side?

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

They're Here In Toronto!

Spoke to a few local dealers here in Toronto and some of them are starting to receive each model from the new line. I'm going to see if i can schedule an audition with the new 802Di.

So far they only received Rosenut.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

Are you getting 802Ds for review so you can compare and recommend if we should upgrade and move the old ones to the side?
                                800Di first but, probably, 802Di eventually.
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by scanido
                                  Spoke to a few local dealers here in Toronto and some of them are starting to receive each model from the new line. I'm going to see if i can schedule an audition with the new 802Di.

So far they only received Rosenut.
                                  What dealers in Toronto have you been to that have the new 800 series?
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ljs1228
                                    • Apr 2008

I think that Audio One on Steeles Street will have the new 800Di's in as soon as any other dealer in Toronto, if not sooner. They are great to deal with and have always been good to me. I've got a set of the Signature Diamonds on order with them and will take a listen to the new Diamond series when I pick these up.

Ljs1228

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                      800Di first but, probably, 802Di eventually.
                                      When?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

When?
                                        ?? Soon. No additional information is available.
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ljs1228
                                          I think that Audio One on Steeles Street will have the new 800Di's in as soon as any other dealer in Toronto, if not sooner. They are great to deal with and have always been good to me. I've got a set of the Signature Diamonds on order with them and will take a listen to the new Diamond series when I pick these up.

Ljs1228
                                          I have never been there.. I have got most of my stuff from Regency Audio in Markham.. I guess I need to get out there sometime soon.
                                          Main System:
                                          B&W 801D
                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                          B&W CM7
                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• scanido
                                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                            What dealers in Toronto have you been to that have the new 800 series?
                                            audioexcellence in richmondhill

Comment

• Awoujol
                                              • Feb 2010

We need details.

My dealer has received their pair of 805Di's and they are amazing. They compare very well to the signature diamonds. Not the same (think about it, it would be crazy) but they are in another league compared to the S models. If all the other speakers in the line have made such a leap forward: good job B&W :T

Edit: Their model was also rosenut. It seems cherrywood is going to be the last color to arrive at stores.
                                              Speakers: B&W 802D, HTM3S, 805S
                                              Amps: McIntosh MC402, McIntosh C2300
                                              On Order: B&W 802Di

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Awoujol
                                                My dealer has received their pair of 805Di's and they are amazing. They compare very well to the signature diamonds. Not the same (think about it, it would be crazy) but they are in another league compared to the S models. If all the other speakers in the line have made such a leap forward: good job B&W :T

Edit: Their model was also rosenut. It seems cherrywood is going to be the last color to arrive at stores.
                                                My dealer said cherry wouldnt arrive until may.
                                                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Awoujol
                                                  • Feb 2010

I was told my 802Di should arrive somewhere in april. So let's hope they don't add another month

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                    • Aug 2008

I was told my 802Di should arrive somewhere in april. So let's hope they don't add another month
                                                    Thanks for the brief update on the 805Di. Your dealer's comments certainly sound promising.

What color are you waiting on? And where are you located?

Comment

• style
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Feb 2006

Hallo Tim,

I have made me too a request for a pair of 805Di ops: ops:

Is really good: the 805S is a good speaker but the 805Di is great!!!

and extra CA2200 is too in the next 10 day at my home :B

I give you more news ...

Greetings Omar

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style
                                                        Hallo Tim,

I have made me too a request for a pair of 805Di ops: ops:

Is really good: the 805S is a good speaker but the 805Di is great!!!

and extra CA2200 is too in the next 10 day at my home :B

I give you more news ...

Greetings Omar
                                                        May we all hope that the wait is not too long. I was told to expect mine in the middle of this month, but I've been in this hobbby long enough to know that it will probably be longer.

Comment

• Awoujol
                                                          • Feb 2010

Thanks for the brief update on the 805Di. Your dealer's comments certainly sound promising.

What color are you waiting on? And where are you located?
                                                          Cherrywood and located in Belgium. And that were my comments. I've been listening to them for a couple of hours this weekend and was realy impressed by the improvements. And the silver rings are very stylish an hardly noticable. On pictures they look cheap and ugly but in real life they make it work.

To be very honost, the 805S is not that great as a speaker. It's great for surrounds but in a stereo setup it's way too colored.

Comment

• style
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Feb 2006

Hoi Awoujol,

To be very honost, the 805S is not that great as a speaker. It's great for surrounds but in a stereo setup it's way too colored.
                                                            Svp. can you explain?

I have the 805S as surround ok, but I have listen the 805Di in Zurich with a CA2200 and as stereo is a great speaker!
                                                            ok, is not a 802Di but hey is a lekker en mooi speaker!! :T

groenten Style

Comment

• Awoujol
                                                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by style
                                                              Hoi Awoujol,

Svp. can you explain?

I have the 805S as surround ok, but I have listen the 805Di in Zurich with a CA2200 and as stereo is a great speaker!
                                                              ok, is not a 802Di but hey is a lekker en mooi speaker!! :T

groenten Style
                                                              You should not confuse the 805S with the 805Di in my statement. I find the 805S great as surround speakers but not as stereo speakers. The 805Di on the other hand is a great stereo speaker. The 805S adds too much while the 805Di is clean and has a great stereo image.

I think the price increase is 100% justified. They made a great bookshelf that will be loved by many audio fanatics.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                • Aug 2008

Cherrywood and located in Belgium. And that were my comments. I've been listening to them for a couple of hours this weekend and was realy impressed by the improvements. And the silver rings are very stylish an hardly noticable. On pictures they look cheap and ugly but in real life they make it work.

Awoujol -

Sorry for the confusion. That is even better that your post was of your own personal experience. Thank you.

So now we wait. :roll:

Comment

• Awoujol
                                                                  • Feb 2010

Awoujol -

Sorry for the confusion. That is even better that your post was of your own personal experience. Thank you.

So now we wait. :roll:
                                                                  I suppose dealers in your region should start receiving their demo models? If you've ordered 805Di, you're one of the lucky ones. Those should be available before all other models.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2008

B&W Website Updated

Maybe I'm a little slow to the party, but the 800 Diamond section of the B&W website now lists all of the different models and there is explanation of the new tech, like the quad magnet on the tweeter. Just a few days ago, there was only a "coming soon" message.

Seems like the gears are in motion . . . .

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Maybe I'm a little slow to the party, but the 800 Diamond section of the B&W website now lists all of the different models and there is explanation of the new tech, like the quad magnet on the tweeter. Just a few days ago, there was only a "coming soon" message.

Seems like the gears are in motion . . . .
                                                                      Thank you :T

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2008

It's interesting they are still showing the Kevlar FST midrange from the previous series in the "Technology" section. Actually, most of the photos could be from the last series except for the capacitor and the dual magnet bass motor system.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

It's interesting they are still showing the Kevlar FST midrange from the previous series in the "Technology" section. Actually, most of the photos could be from the last series except for the capacitor and the dual magnet bass motor system.
                                                                          Aren't the FST the only drivers which remain the same, other than the silver bullet change??

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2008
                                                                            • 268

Originally posted by scanido
                                                                            Aren't the FST the only drivers which remain the same, other than the silver bullet change??
                                                                            I'm not sure, but the photos still has the black bullets which are from the previous series.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2008
                                                                              • 568

HTGuide member "Style" was kind enough to pass along a link to me via PM for the enveiling of the 805Di and 804Di on a French audio enthusiast forum.

Courtesy of "Style" and GoogleTranslate, I pass it on to you all ....

They plan to review the 805Di as compared to the 805S in post #2 in the future.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2009
                                                                                • 504

HTGuide member "Style" was kind enough to pass along a link to me via PM for the enveiling of the 805Di and 804Di on a French audio enthusiast forum.

Courtesy of "Style" and GoogleTranslate, I pass it on to you all ....

They plan to review the 805Di as compared to the 805S in post #2 in the future.
                                                                                Very nice. So far, I'm mostly impressed by the translation software

But very very nice pics. Review forthcomming I hope.
                                                                                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2008
                                                                                  • 568

It does much better with French than German or Finnish I've found.

(Yes, I'm so deep into the hobby that I have resorted to reading reviews from other countries.) :roll:

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2008
                                                                                    • 313

Well well well.... I can confirm that B&W 803Di/802Di/800Di uses the same crossover design and components for the Tweeter and Midrange, I would imagine that since the Diamond Series is uses a new woofer design the Woofer crossover will be slightly different.

So anyone that says the 803D/802D/800D tweeter and midrange sounds better than the previous model is lying, its the same drivers, crossover design and components.

Only difference is going to be the woofer bass output.

Reference:

http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med...al_ENG.pdf.pdf (Page 12)

http://www.bwgroup-support.com/downl...bw/800D-TM.pdf (Pages 9, 10, 11 12)

SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                                                    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2008
                                                                                      • 313

Next step is to open up one of these 80xDi bad boys and take a look
                                                                                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                                                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• style
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 1562

:blah: Hallo,
                                                                                        thx Tim for the help over tranlation & Co.

Now I have a 803D/Htmd2D/805S.
                                                                                        Classe SSP800 & CA52000 & CA2200.

I have in order the 804Di: in 10 day they are my home : at first was the 805Di my first idea but with the new CA2200 a 804Di give me a better and great sound.
                                                                                        (I have listen the 805&804Di in Zurich at B&W group switzerland...)

the new 805Di is fantastic 8O , the 805S sound very good but the 805Di is very amazing, another liga (and price is the douple too --> Focal Diablo?!) :twisted:
                                                                                        I have choiced the piano black, my other speakers are in Roseunt but this new color is really "full of charme": the Rosenut is too very good but "the new trend" is the piano black..

My system is placed in a room long 9.8 meter, breight 5.8 , h. 2.9 but is not all the long 10 meter horitontal but in the in the vertical (6x6 but I don't have any wall and the sound go in the all room -> sound loss? is sure a problem to have the top sound....
                                                                                        the rest of the room is a table for dinner with special guests, a library and other old furniture style 1900...
                                                                                        (I am not an ultra-modern design "but mobile value .."
                                                                                        There are also weapons hobby of my father ....
                                                                                        home at 2 levels: 1 where I life and the other for my parents ...

The center speaker like my Htm2d, match PERFECT, with the new serie this is what B&W/Classe say me: go with the htm4Di in place from the "old" htm2D !!! My friend from Classe say or i'm crazy the downgrade from a HTM2D
                                                                                        (14 monoth old) with a New HTm4di!!!
                                                                                        over the htm2Di vs. htm2D : make very no sense, you go wasted only your money!

in Switzerland the "old" 802D are very rare in new , are available in a Demo/exposition models with a great price bit with my thest in my room (like Mars) the 2 little 805 or 804Di give aslo more satisfaction!!!!
                                                                                        Last edited by style; 07 March 2010, 19:07 Sunday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1098

Omar ... Congratulations on your 804Di on order. I'm interested in how you find them once they burn-in being driven by your Classe CA-5200. My thoughts are the same as your friend's: To keep your HTM2D. But then again my opinion is that it is best to listen with your own ears and then decide - impossible to do most times.

Comment

• JargonGR
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2009
                                                                                            • 95

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                                                                            Well well well.... I can confirm that B&W 803Di/802Di/800Di uses the same crossover design and components for the Tweeter and Midrange, I would imagine that since the Diamond Series is uses a new woofer design the Woofer crossover will be slightly different.

So anyone that says the 803D/802D/800D tweeter and midrange sounds better than the previous model is lying, its the same drivers, crossover design and components.

Only difference is going to be the woofer bass output.

Reference:

http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med...al_ENG.pdf.pdf (Page 12)

http://www.bwgroup-support.com/downl...bw/800D-TM.pdf (Pages 9, 10, 11 12)

http://www.bwgroup-support.com/downl...bw/803D-TM.pdf

SoundEngine

Do yo have any clue/theory on why the new models are SO MUCH lighter than the previous?

For example the 800Di are 23 KG lighter than the previous model. What have they done?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"