X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
    Wow, that's amazing, especially since he didn't like B&Ws before. Did he ever hear the 800 series before though? "thin, metallic, grainy" I have heard being used to describe the CM series, but never the 800s. I wonder if this was his first experience listening to the 800s and particularly the diamond tweeters.

"It was the opposite of a gasp, an involuntary exhale. Air was literally (not figuratively) pulled from my chest. For the first time in my listening experience, I did not need to intentionally engage my imagination of soundstage. The orchestra was virtually in the room just eight feet away. If I didn’t know better, I’d think the speakers were just props and a full-size orchestra was behind the black-cloth wall. It was that real."

I hate to sound smug, but I hear this every time I put on a well-recorded disc with my 802Ds! :B
    I could not agree more, let's see how the new 802Di sound? Yes the current 802D sound great
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by swayback
      Tim,
      Reviewing your prior HT guide, you had a lot of floorstanding models. Do you think that the 805Di's will provide enough mid to low range since they lack the woofer or woofers that the 804 and 803 speakers have?
      Swayback
      After going through all of those floorstanders, I came to realize that they were all overkill both because A) I always use my JL sub for both music and movies, and B) I don't listen loud enough to need more upper bass output than is offered by a high-quality 6 to 7" driver. I was reminded of this while recently auditioning a pair of Canton Reference 9.2 stand-mount speakers. This is a two way about the same size as the 805Di, which uses a 6.5" mid/bass driver. I didn't care for the overall character of those speakers, but they certainly didn't leave me wanting for more bass. In fact, I could have easily lived without a sub for most music with the bass output from those speakers. I don't know if the 805Di's will have the bass extension of the Canton's, but I'm confident that they will play low enough for an 80Hz x-over to the sub.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
        After going through all of those floorstanders, I came to realize that they were all overkill both because A) I always use my JL sub for both music and movies, and B) I don't listen loud enough to need more upper bass output than is offered by a high-quality 6 to 7" driver. I was reminded of this while recently auditioning a pair of Canton Reference 9.2 stand-mount speakers. This is a two way about the same size as the 805Di, which uses a 6.5" mid/bass driver. I didn't care for the overall character of those speakers, but they certainly didn't leave me wanting for more bass. In fact, I could have easily lived without a sub for most music with the bass output from those speakers. I don't know if the 805Di's will have the bass extension of the Canton's, but I'm confident that they will play low enough for an 80Hz x-over to the sub.
        Yes Tim we can always do with less, but some of us want more
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
          Yes Tim we can always do with less, but some of us want more
          Been there, done that.

Comment

• audiomatters
            • Apr 2009

In fact, I'm still waiting for resolution to a problem with one of my speakers. Six weeks after the initial report of the problem, I'm being told that it is probably due to user error, and the only way to get the speaker fixed is to send both of them back to the UK (they are not B&Ws) at my cost. This is estimated to be $2400 to fix what I know to be a bad resistor in the crossover, which is a $5 part. Ludicrous.
            Hi I always buy from larger more complete companies like B&W because I got tired of buying speakers from a company that didnt make their own drivers and then if I needed one they couldnt get them because the oem stopped making that driver.

I saw you have your speakers on audiogon how did you get them them fixed? Did you have to send them or was it a cheap easy fix like you thought and you did it yourself? Just curious.
            Mike

Comment

• Freddie40
              • Jun 2009

I listened to the 801Diamonds today in Denver. First problem was that I didn't bring my own music, the room blew, and I wasn't impressed with the electronics. That being said I loved the speakers. The sound was outstanding, great highs and lows. I didn't listen to the long enough to really write a complete review so I will stop here.

But, they are here

Dave
              Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• AV-OCD
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by audiomatters
                Hi I always buy from larger more complete companies like B&W because I got tired of buying speakers from a company that didnt make their own drivers and then if I needed one they couldnt get them because the oem stopped making that driver.

I saw you have your speakers on audiogon how did you get them them fixed? Did you have to send them or was it a cheap easy fix like you thought and you did it yourself? Just curious.
                Mike
                Swapped out the x-over board and all is good.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Freddie40
                  I listened to the 801Diamonds today in Denver. First problem was that I didn't bring my own music, the room blew, and I wasn't impressed with the electronics. That being said I loved the speakers. The sound was outstanding, great highs and lows. I didn't listen to the long enough to really write a complete review so I will stop here.

But, they are here

Dave
                  Did they have the rest of the line in too? Or was this just a special showing of the 801?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                    • Mar 2005

Dave; Did you mean 800s? I thought they weren't making the the 801s in the new series like no more HTM1Ds.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                      Dave; Did you mean 800s? I thought they weren't making the the 801s in the new series like no more HTM1Ds.
                      Yup. No 801 in the new line.
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Freddie40
                        • Jun 2009

I'm sorry, I meant the 802 Diamonds, my mistake. I am assuming that they had the rest of the line also.

Dave
                        Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Freddie40
                          • Jun 2009

BTW: Listen-Up in Denver has only the 802 Diamonds (Rosenut) and 804Diamonds (Piano Black). The chrome rings around the drivers are barely noticeable.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                            • Dec 2008

BTW: Listen-Up in Denver has only the 802 Diamonds (Rosenut) and 804Diamonds (Piano Black). The chrome rings around the drivers are barely noticeable.
                            I think that is akin to saying one is barley pregnant.You either are or aren't. :T
                            For my tastes those rings would be a complete eyesore.
                            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Highroller
                              • Jan 2010

Freddie,

Did the dealer still have 802D's to compare to the 802Di's?

I'm sorry, I meant the 802 Diamonds, my mistake. I am assuming that they had the rest of the line also.

Dave

Comment

• Freddie40
                                • Jun 2009

They only had the 802Diamonds.

Dave

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                  I think that is akin to saying one is barley pregnant.You either are or aren't. :T
                                  Um, while the rings are purely a subjective thing, your analogy is wrongly applied here. What you're implying is that if you don't have 20/20 vision then you're legally blind. :W I think if it barely noticeable then it's not gonna bother someone unless they keep focusing on it.

I'm curious why you're so vocal about this considering you're not in the market for them (are you?). Seems as though B&W has wronged you and you're doing everything to prevent others from liking them. :B

Cheers.
                                  -H
                                  Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                  Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                  B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                  Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                  Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                    OG -

It's quite clear what your stance is on the aesthetic changes to the line. I suggest that you e-mail B&W with your feedback, as continually repeating it here isn't going to change anything.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                      • Dec 2008

Im just old and jaded.lol
                                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• dan87951
                                        • Nov 2005

I still can't get over the new pricing structure... 5k for 805's 7.5k for 804's laughable! lol I'm just glad there is enough people on here to pay the new price so I can get a used pair some day.
                                        dan87951
                                        audio guru

Comment

• mjb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

I'm pleased I got mine when I did too... I don't like the new silver rings, and I don't like the new pricing.
                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• RedRock
                                            • Jan 2010

Certainly no one is happy with the price increases. However, even considering the recent increases, I'm finding that B&W's 800 Diamond series is not that far off from their competitor's (e.g., DALI Euphonia, KEF Reference, Sonus Faber) high-end equivalent prices.
                                            B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                                            B&W HTM4Di (center)
                                            B&W SCMs (surround)
                                            Arcam AVR-600
                                            Arcam DV-137
                                            Arcam irDock
                                            Velodyne Optimum-10
                                            Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• RedRock
                                              • Jan 2010

Although I haven't seen the real thing yet, I like the look of the new 800 series. IMO it's a more contemporary, clean look, especially with the magnetic grills. All this hate and discontent regarding the silver rings reminds me of Chris Bangle's controversial "flame-surfacing" design effort on the entire BMW series. Despite Bangle's designs, BMW sales continue to be quite strong. I believe B&W will be as successful with their new line.
                                              B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                                              B&W HTM4Di (center)
                                              B&W SCMs (surround)
                                              Arcam AVR-600
                                              Arcam DV-137
                                              Arcam irDock
                                              Velodyne Optimum-10
                                              Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
                                                I still can't get over the new pricing structure... 5k for 805's 7.5k for 804's laughable! lol I'm just glad there is enough people on here to pay the new price so I can get a used pair some day.
                                                I agree.. That is why I bought my 804s when I did, even though technically I wanted to wait a least another year..

That said, if the new Di speakers generate ~5-10% performance increase, then this is acceptable cost/performance at the price point IMO.. In general in high end speakers it's not unusual for 50% additional cost, 5-10% performance increase...
                                                Main System:
                                                B&W 801D
                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                B&W CM7
                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

Hy,

Today I spoked with B&W Switzerland over the "little 805D/04D":

if pay sell my 803D to go with a set 805D response was no.
                                                  if the sound is really good the response was AMAZING!!! Never listen so one speaker! the 805S dont have any chance. 8O

and the problem the have a copy of this great speaker (in europa).....

have a 804/805D is much more easy vs.a pair of 803D and bigger models

In Europa before that the new line will be available in "normaly time" we must wait all the pre order = around 2 months
                                                  After we can have the 80xD in a paar Week...

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                    • Aug 2008

While I'll pay it, I too think that high-end speaker prices have gotten out of control. You can buy some really fun stuff for the price of the 803D. Like this:

Triumph Daytona 675 - $9229

Hmm, a sophisticated racing maching that is built from thousands of intricate and custom parts, or an veneered MDF cabinet with vibrating cones and domes? Sure seems like the speaker would cost a helluva lot less to make than a motorcycle.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

While I'll pay it, I too think that high-end speaker prices have gotten out of control. You can buy some really fun stuff for the price of the 803D. Like this:

Hmm, a sophisticated racing maching that is built from thousands of intricate and custom parts, or an veneered MDF cabinet with vibrating cones and domes? Sure seems like the speaker would cost a helluva lot less to make than a motorcycle.

yes, but name 1 b&w owner that died from listening to his/her speakers... There are many reason why people die every day from riding motorcycles. its never a matter of if you are going over, it is when and how bad...
                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• emig5m
                                                        • Aug 2008

Hmmm... That's why I have one of these.... I hate to invest money only in one hobby. Gotta split it up and have fun with other things. :T

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                        yes, but name 1 b&w owner that died from listening to his/her speakers... There are many reason why people die every day from riding motorcycles. its never a matter of if you are going over, it is when and how bad...
                                                        Very true. I've been hurt countless times riding bikes. Dislocated shoulders are the best! Gashes down to the bone aren't too bad either. :B But then again, like someones signature said-- "I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death". :T

Comment

• garak
                                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
                                                          Hmmm... That's why I have one of these.... I hate to invest money only in one hobby. Gotta split it up and have fun with other things. :T

Very true. I've been hurt countless times riding bikes. Dislocated shoulders are the best! Gashes down to the bone aren't too bad either. :B But then again, like someones signature said-- "I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death". :T
                                                          Since we're going way OT, that's why I do this instead of ride. This is SOOO much safer. :rofl:
                                                          [YOUTUBE]cptzicsoIsw[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• dan87951
                                                            • Nov 2005

Oh please you can die in a car crash or walking across the street!! You don't live forever mise well live life to fullest. I have two Buell motorcyles and it has taught me to be a better drive actually because I'm more alert paying attention to the other drivers on the road anticipating there next move. If you wanna live locked up in your house listening to your speakers so be it!
                                                            dan87951
                                                            audio guru

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2003

Oh please you can die in a car crash or walking across the street!! You don't live forever mise well live life to fullest. I have two Buell motorcyles and it has taught me to be a better drive actually because I'm more alert paying attention to the other drivers on the road anticipating there next move. If you wanna live locked up in your house listening to your speakers so be it!

ahhh. but the motorcycle driver is only responsible for some of the accidents. My guess is, more times than not, they are the victem in the accident.

I did my share of fun. I have lost 35% mobility in my right elbow (shattered all the bones) and have a plate w/ 8 screws holding it all together from skateboarding, so don't get me wrong, i'm all for enjoying life. BTW, my co-worker's father was killed from falling off a motorcycle. having a seven month old, and such a tragic accident that close to home makes me chose my hobbies with a different priority.

However, I don't judge others, so i say more power to you. My first day riding a motorcycle, I was jumping dirt ramps on a honda cr250. I know the adrenaline. :T

Comment

• RedWolf
                                                                • Sep 2007

Personally, I do not see the price of the new speakers a critical concern, providing they hold up to their claim of being the world's best loudspeaker. If you do not compare the price to previous models and only to current competition, then they are definitely within the market. I hope that we will be able to close this thread very soon and replace it with real listening experiences for those on the fence.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                  • Apr 2006

Surround Options???

Guys (gals),

That are looking at a new 5.1/7.1 system what would you choose for surrounds?

Since B&W inadvertently ignored this critical speaker position, what choices are there from the new/used market???

I have SCMS which are great speakers BTW, and would use those, but yet again i don't believe they would be ideal to match the new front stage. You could probably use one of the floor standers or the 805di, but what good are those when they are in the way!!! I need wall mounted options!!1
                                                                  Last edited by scanido; 23 February 2010, 16:59 Tuesday.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by scanido
                                                                    Guys (gals),

That are looking at a new 5.1/7.1 system what would you chose for surrounds?

Since B&W inadvertently ignored this critical speaker position, what choices are there from the new/used market???

I have SCMS which are great speakers BTW, and would use those, but yet again i don't believe they would be ideal to match the new front stage. You could probably use one of the floor standers or the 805di, but what good are those when they are in the way!!! I need wall mounted options!!1
                                                                    I have found myself in this position with a good number of speakers I've purchased over the years, and I inevitably end up doing some sort of semi custom wall mount solution and using EQ to tame the bass bloat caused by near-wall placement.

In this case, I plan to use the 805s as the wall mounted surround channels and I'll modify the hole spacing of the bottom plate of the wall mount in the link below to get them mounted.

Since the 805s are not meant for on-wall placement, I expect the bass to be overblown. This is where EQ comes in handy. There are a number of auto EQ options in today's processors that will read the elevated bass in the surrounds and knock it down, or if you have the Classe SSP-800, the bass bloat can be handled with the manual PEQ.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2008

I have found myself in this position with a good number of speakers I've purchased over the years, and I inevitably end up doing some sort of semi custom wall mount solution and using EQ to tame the bass bloat caused by near-wall placement.

In this case, I plan to use the 805s as the wall mounted surround channels and I'll modify the hole spacing of the bottom plate of the wall mount in the link below to get them mounted.

Since the 805s are not meant for on-wall placement, I expect the bass to be overblown. This is where EQ comes in handy. There are a number of auto EQ options in today's processors that will read the elevated bass in the surrounds and knock it down, or if you have the Classe SSP-800, the bass bloat can be handled with the manual PEQ.
                                                                      I run one set of 805s in my familyroom for my 2 channel listening, and they are in a bookshelf...I am amazed at how good they sound considering the poor placement. The other set I have are on stands away from the wall in my diningroom, and while they sound a little better (more air, soundstage) it is closer than you would think. I think you will be fine with that setup Tim.

Mike
                                                                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

they do have a solution... its called the CT series. I'm starting to think that b&w will reserve their 800 series for optimal 2 channel performance, and pacify people that want to use it with surround sound with lower end centers but no wall mounts. those that want wall mounts will need CT, CI or other custom install models...

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2008

they do have a solution... its called the CT series. I'm starting to think that b&w will reserve their 800 series for optimal 2 channel performance, and pacify people that want to use it with surround sound with lower end centers but no wall mounts. those that want wall mounts will need CT, CI or other custom install models...
                                                                          No Isometric-Hexoctahedral Carbom (diamond) tweets on the custom line though.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

No Isometric-Hexoctahedral Carbom (diamond) tweets on the custom line though.
                                                                            I know. frustrating isn't it? If you follow the logic though, it looks like the way B&W is leading us though...

to me, it really appears that diamonds are targetted for 2 channel playback...

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2008
                                                                              • 568

I know. frustrating isn't it? If you follow the logic though, it looks like the way B&W is leading us though...

Yep, I follow the logic. I just wish it weren't so. I'd scoop up a set of SMCSDi's in a heartbeat if they made 'em.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 1676

There is so little worthy movie content out there, that two channel music listening has become the only thing worth spending time enjoying, for me at least.

Comment

• boarder1995
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2009
                                                                                  • 68

Multi-channel music would be the only justification for me to have diamonds beyond the front L&R. Movies also use the center heavily, so perhaps there too, but I can't see having surrounds with diamonds as that important, imho. However, if I upgrade my diamond fronts ever, I'd possibly just move them to the rear and then have diamonds all around...totally against what I've just stated above. My wife's even asked if we should upgrade the rear at some point to have the same metal microphones on top as the frotns have.

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 646

Originally posted by boarder1995
                                                                                    Multi-channel music would be the only justification for me to have diamonds beyond the front L&R. Movies also use the center heavily, so perhaps there too, but I can't see having surrounds with diamonds as that important, imho. However, if I upgrade my diamond fronts ever, I'd possibly just move them to the rear and then have diamonds all around...totally against what I've just stated above. My wife's even asked if we should upgrade the rear at some point to have the same metal microphones on top as the frotns have.
                                                                                    IMO the most ideal multichannel system utilizes the same exact speaker for each and every channel.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

Originally posted by beden1
                                                                                      There is so little worthy movie content out there, that two channel music listening has become the only thing worth spending time enjoying, for me at least.
                                                                                      Well that is too bad, I enjoy tremendously multichannel music with five 802s :T

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2008
                                                                                        • 268

Well that is too bad, I enjoy tremendously multichannel music with five 802s :T
                                                                                        Nice! Now a little dilemma test. You're gifted two 802 Diamonds to turn your 5.1 system in 7.1. However, now you have three 802Ds and a pair of 802N and 802Di each. How would you arrange your 802s for your 7.1 set-up? :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                                                          Nice! Now a little dilemma test. You're gifted two 802 Diamonds to turn your 5.1 system in 7.1. However, now you have three 802Ds and a pair of 802N and 802Di each. How would you arrange your 802s for your 7.1 set-up? :B
                                                                                          Well, I would do the following

- 802Di in the front L/R with one 802D in the center

- 802D at 90 degree angle and

- 802 N in the back

Now you just need 7 CT-600M and a nuclear reactor to power them all :B

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2008
                                                                                            • 268

:B
                                                                                            Well, I would do the following

- 802Di in the front L/R with one 802D in the center

- 802D at 90 degree angle and

- 802 N in the back

Now you just need 7 CT-600M and a nuclear reactor to power them all :B
                                                                                            Yes, the most desired choice is to use the 802Di as the fronts. However, using the 802D as the center would not be the best timbre match, and would take away from the front stage, IMHO. Therefore comes the dilemma.

I think I may try the 802Di as the fronts and phantom center, the 802Ds as surrounds, 802N as rears, and then the third 802D in the rear middle, directly behind the listener position. So it's more like 8.x! :B

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"