X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
    Upon further inspection the official photos of the 800 series look like they are photo shopped.Could this be possible?
    Right clicking on one of the high resolution photos (802 Diamond Cherrywood Grill Off), selecting properties and then details, brings up the following info, some of which is as follows:

ORIGIN
    Authors: Phil Sills
    Date taken: 2009/12/02 09:45PM
    Program name: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

CAMERA
    Camera maker: Hasselblad
    Camera model: Ixpress 528C - Hasselblad H1
    F-stop: f/19.7
    Exposure time: 1/125 sec.
    ISO speed: ISO-100

I think that it's safe to assume that some touching up could have been done.

Comment

• Skyblue
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ShadowZA
      Right clicking on one of the high resolution photos (802 Diamond Cherrywood Grill Off), selecting properties and then details, brings up the following info, some of which is as follows:

ORIGIN
      Authors: Phil Sills
      Date taken: 2009/12/02 09:45PM
      Program name: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

CAMERA
      Camera maker: Hasselblad
      Camera model: Ixpress 528C - Hasselblad H1
      F-stop: f/19.7
      Exposure time: 1/125 sec.
      ISO speed: ISO-100

I think that it's safe to assume that some touching up could have been done.
      Heh, a $24.000 camera (with lens) and people thinks the speakers are expensive
      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wildmda
        • Jan 2009

What does anybody know about the mundorf silver, oil crossover that was added?

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by timjclark
          I'm not crazy about the chrome around the flowport...
          The chrome enhancements could be quite noticeable under the grill.
          I would have preferred just the ring around the tweeter to establish the new D series.
          The omission of black ash veneer is a real disappointment as well, not being given a choice over the glossy piano black.

Too much "Bling" is not always a good thing. :roll:

Comment

• JargonGR
            • Feb 2009

Glossy is not good for front projection systems.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by style
              ...And the stand from the 805S are the same for the new 805D?
              if no the 804D can be a attractive alternative.
              It is the same except for the color.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

I really don't get the criticism about the looks of the new 800 series. They look fabulous to me, silver rings and all. :T

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                  • Mar 2008

Upon further inspection the official photos of the 800 series look like they are photo shopped.Could this be possible?
                  If you compare the high-resolution photos of the 802 Diamond in rosenut and cheerywood, you will see it is the exact same speaker. One of the giveaways is the tiny defect on the base, which is on both speakers. It is not, however, on the piano black version. So yes, I think at least some of the photos have been photoshopped.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by btf1980
                    I really don't get the criticism about the looks of the new 800 series. They look fabulous to me, silver rings and all. :T
                    That's because you're used to the silver rings on the CM series! :B

Kidding aside, they are still beautiful speakers. And the photos you posted show that the rings can be a bit more subtle under certain angles. Maybe they just take some getting used to. For myself, my only serious consideration for the series is the 805 Diamond, which I previously thought the new design touches took away from being able to match with my 802Ds. But looking at the cheerywood photo here, it looks like it may be okay.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

The silver around the woofers really throws the look of the speakers off for this oldguy.
                      I just can't warm up to it no matter how much I look at it.It's not like I was going to buy it at any rate,just more like seeing a beautiful woman with mud all over her.On second thought that might not be so bad after all,the woman not the speakers.lol.
                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I love the new speakers. The biggest improvement IMO is how the grills attach....
                        B&W

Comment

• 1oldguy
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                          I love the new speakers. The biggest improvement IMO is how the grills attach....
                          I can't see anyplace for the holes anymore.I am getting old.It's like magic. :T
                          I'm not sure how they attach to be honest.

Comment

• Hammie
                            • Oct 2005

Actually, I think those picks you posted make them look really nice! DAMN!!!
                            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

How do the grills attach?

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                How do the grills attach?
                                Magnetic, same as the CM series.
                                SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                  Magnetic, same as the CM series.
                                  Thanks! :T

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

And the best part of the new speakers are that according to the official photos from B&W they don't even need speaker cables to work.... :-)

Comment

• Ken49r
                                      • Dec 2007

B&W website has added a video on the new 800 series diamond.

Link

The older series is no longer there.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

If it were Hi REZ we would be even less pleased with the new look of the cabinets.Even if they are made in Denmark something is clearly different with the quality of the cabinets,and not for the better.
                                        There have been some plant changes but the quality is the same. The 800 and 802 cabinets are "formed" at the remaining (unowned) Denmark plant while the rest are formed in the UK. All the veneers are still selected from the same virgin sources. The black lacquer finish top coats an MDF layer and the process is painstakingly done in the UK. All of the new 800 speakers are designed, voiced and built in the UK.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                          Really surprised about them killing off the 801...
                                          Not enough sales to justify it's continued existence.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                            Do you know if they will still be offering the satin black ash as before, as well as the piano black?
                                            Piano black supplanted the Black Ash for this series.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ChrisssB
                                              It's Great to see you here :T

Best wishes for a great 2010
                                              Thanks the same to you.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wildmda
                                                What does anybody know about the mundorf silver, oil crossover that was added?
                                                I am working on those details but they were not available at the time of the show. Hopefully soon we'll know.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

The biggest improvement IMO is how the grills attach....
                                                  Agreed.

The speakers are attractive but the new surrounds are attention getters compared to the previous series. If you're the kind that likes them clothed then you'll hardly notice the difference.

BTW, the rings aren't exactly smooth chrome finished but rather cut anodized aluminum that incurs a reflective surface among the flow port and midrange/bass drivers. The tweeter is satin.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Great to see you James. :T Hope that 2010 will be a good year for you & the family.

This is jumping the gun but I'm curious to know if there might be any advantage to modding the "now previous" 802D's with updated crossovers (including better capacitors) - without changing the drivers. Of course the new range have new crossovers AND new drivers.

My initial thought on this is "probably not". Reason being is that the new range has been voiced with new crossovers + new drivers. If a mod is to be successful then it would have to include the new "bigger magnet" drivers.

Just a thought.

Comment

• Mikael
                                                      • Aug 2007

I find that the new look groves on me, but I think it's a dame shame that they didn't go all the way with the new 805 and htm2 and used the same 7" mid/bass driver as in the Diamond Signature speaker that sounds so awesome.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                        • Apr 2008

I wonder if there's a third party company that will use the quality of the new crossover but tuned for the older series that would work

Comment

• bwsound
                                                          • Jan 2010

Curious about the specifications of the new 800 series, are you guys at CES given any information about Frequency response and other details?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                            • May 2004

The reason I was surprised about the 801 removal is that it have always been the reference monitor for a lot of studios. The volumes may not be high, but I am convinced that they outsell the Nautilus that can still be had...

You can of course argue that it is not the same flagship - but 801 is what B&W have always been known for.

Comment

• William
                                                              • Aug 2006

Actually I'm ambivalent about the "new" 800 series.

Dislikes: These are not a "new" series or design (for this year adding new chrome wheels, new paint job and an improved engine control module doesn't make it a new Mustang) but instead a small update that looks to be done more for the sake of having a "new" speaker line (and more importantly to get fresh reviews and publicity) that making any fundamental changes. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a DB test with 802D's and 802 Diamonds (or others sans 804 & 805) would be inconclusive and they would be an exact timbre match. Just moving one an inch or two would likely change the sound more that the design has done.

Likes: It means B&W engineers couldn't find a design improvement (or design fault with the current D's) that would fundamentally change the 800's within the same costs so I can easily resist (well not easily but...) upgrade fever. Also my HTM1D is likely to depreciate far less since B&W will no longer make a timbre matching detected center for the 802 and 801's.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by William
                                                                Actually I ambivalent about the "new" 800 series.

Dislikes: These are not a "new" series or design (for this year adding new chrome wheels, new paint job and an improved engine control module doesn't make it a new Mustang) but instead a small update that looks to be done more for the sake of having a "new" speaker line (and more importantly to get fresh reviews and publicity) that making any fundamental changes. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a BD test with 802D's and 802 Diamonds (or others sans 804 & 805) would be inconclusive and they would be an exact timbre match. Just moving one an inch or two would likely change the sound more that the design has done.

Likes: It means B&W engineers couldn't find a design improvement that would fundamentally change the 800's within the same costs and I can easily resist upgrade fever. Also my HTM1D is likely to depreciate far less since B&W will no longer make a top of the line center.
                                                                I would say your right on the money with that statement.

Comment

• Orb
                                                                  • Aug 2008

Out of interest, has the dimensions or port flow size changed on any of the new models?

Thanks
                                                                  Orb

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by William
                                                                    ... Also my HTM1D is likely to depreciate far less since B&W will no longer make a timbre matching detected center for the 802 and 801's.
                                                                    I'm of the opinion that your HTM1D might even appreciate or at least hold its value given the turn of events.

Comment

• William
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Orb
                                                                      Out of interest, has the dimensions or port flow size changed on any of the new models?

Thanks
                                                                      Orb
                                                                      Looking at the pictures the ports seem to be the exact same design. I would bet that to keep all tooling equipment the same that the dimensions are also the same.

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                                                        wonder why they left "the B&W 801 speaker is the ONLY speaker that I have found..." in the vid...
                                                                        Does that mean the "newer" shinier 801 will see the light of day sooner or later? Hmmm. Anyway if the all-important middriver is the same in the "new" old series then I personally won't bother swapping my 802d for 802 diamond. Personally I'd go Nautilus 802 anytime. I might give 805 diamond a try though

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PavelL
                                                                          wonder why they left "the B&W 801 speaker is the ONLY speaker that I have found..." in the video...
                                                                          Does that mean the "newer" shinier 801 will see the light of day sooner or later? Hmmm. Anyway if the all-important mid driver is the same in the "new" old series then I personally won't bother swapping my 802d for 802 diamond. Personally I'd go Nautilus 802 anytime. I might give 805 diamond a try though
                                                                          I have a feeling your right about the mid driver.They have it just about perfected hence the reason there was no need to change it.The difference will be fractional.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

The major focus of this update was better integration between drivers. There is a seemleas more natural transparency that the existing diamonds do not posess.
                                                                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 204

I have a feeling your right about the mid driver.They have it just about perfected hence the reason there was no need to change it.The difference will be fractional.
                                                                              I believe I read in B&W "whitepaper" (the one they used to publish in the past...) that the FST driver is a compromise solution, not a pure piston-like driver (supposedly their diamond tweeter is). Some say that the simpler two-way Signature diamond sounds noticeably sweeter in the mids... :roll: I heard them at a show and can attest to that (but unfortunately those were brief listening sessions, with different amps etc. and in a different room. I wish I could give them a listen at home...).

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2005
                                                                                • 204

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                The major focus of this update was better integration between drivers. There is a seemleas more natural transparency that the existing diamonds do not posess.
                                                                                you mean the LF drivers' integration with the middriver? mid-to HF was near perfect with the previous Ds (at least that's what I thought)

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2008
                                                                                  • 268

Originally posted by PavelL
                                                                                  I believe I read in B&W "whitepaper" (the one they used to publish in the past...) that the FST driver is a compromise solution, not a pure piston-like driver (supposedly their diamond tweeter is). Some say that the simpler two-way Signature diamond sounds noticeably sweeter in the mids... :roll: I heard them at a show and can attest to that (but unfortunately those were brief listening sessions, with different amps etc. and in a different room. I wish I could give them a listen at home...).
                                                                                  I demoed the Signature Diamonds in the same room and using the same Classe equipment that I demoed most of the 800 series in. I can second that the mids were "sweeter" and perhaps a bit more detailed. However, the lack of substantial bass, particularly with the kind of music I listen to, turned me off them. I think they would be great for classical and vocals, but for rock and jazz, I don't think they are the ideal speaker.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2008
                                                                                    • 268

Here are some more photos:

Comment

• bwsound
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2010
                                                                                      • 15

Wow what a line up! I quess the metal ring works best with the new black.

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2005
                                                                                        • 204

Nice!!!

Comment

• Orb
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2008
                                                                                          • 147

Here is the price list in pounds.

Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond is available from February 2010, and priced as follows:
                                                                                          800 Diamond £18,500 per pair
                                                                                          802 Diamond £11,500 per pair
                                                                                          803 Diamond £7,500 per pair
                                                                                          804 Diamond £5,750 per pair
                                                                                          805 Diamond £3,750 per pair
                                                                                          HTM2 Diamond £3,950 each
                                                                                          HTM4 Diamond £1,950 each

I just called to see just how much the 802D's are now.Brace yourselves.

802 Diamond £11,500 per pair which translates into $19,627.03 Canadian before our 13% tax.OUCH.

Well if the cabinets are the same, the price increase seems a bit surprising to me considering the machinery/logistics may not have changed much with a lot of the pricing going into the crossover and diamond tweeter on the 805 and 804.
                                                                                          It will be interesting to see if just those changes raise the bar enough for 805 as it seems to be in-between prices of quality standmounts; example of more expensive competitor is Dynaudio C1.

So the price may put listeners off who will settle for a standmount in the £2k to £2.8k bracket, or put it against those who have the cash to also consider £5k standmounts.

And for the 804, well not sure how it will stack up against competitors at that price without changes to its bass.
                                                                                          Depending upon the outcome of my current standmounts, hopefully I shall be able to listen to the 805/804 and Focal Utopia Diablo at the same dealer in March/April, along with Pioneer and Dynaudio C1 and Wilson Benesch Trinity at another.

Edit:
                                                                                          Heh just noticed the dealer with B&W speakers I am looking to visit is selling their ex-demos.
                                                                                          802d for £6,250 , 803d for £4,250.

Cheers
                                                                                          Orb

Comment

• JoeBob
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2009
                                                                                            • 8

what do you think this will do to prices of current 802d's in black ash?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"