X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

B&W 804S midrange

is the midrange separate from the rest of the cabinet/in its own "housing" within the rest of the cabinet? I'm asking in regards to the 804S not the nautilus 804 but the newer 804S to be clear. thanks
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • multivac
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BWLover
    is the midrange separate from the rest of the cabinet/in its own "housing" within the rest of the cabinet? I'm asking in regards to the 804S not the nautilus 804 but the newer 804S to be clear. thanks
    As far as i know there is separate chamber that "houses" the midrange unit.

The midrange unit is "suspended" from the cabinet using a clever system based on elastomer isolators and a drawbar "clamping" system.

This system is simple but effective.

Comment

• Horacio
      • Jan 2005

I don't think it's sepaprate. I believe there is a piece of wood (about 3/8" thick) that sort of makes a separate chamber, but as far as vibrations go I wonder how isolated it is. It sounds outstanding, though. I would say the midrange is the highest point of the 804s (I own a pair).

If you have a B&W dealer you, I've seen 804s with an open side that B&W uses as marketing. You might be able to find one and see exactly how it's made.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

haracio how are the 804s' bass wise?
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• multivac
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Horacio
          ..... I believe there is a piece of wood (about 3/8" thick) that sort of makes a separate chamber,
          Well, that piece of wood just below the mid-range unit creates a separate chamber :T

Originally posted by Horacio
          ..... but as far as vibrations go I wonder how isolated it is. It sounds outstanding, though. I would say the midrange is the highest point of the 804s (I own a pair).
          The isolation system that i described in my earlier post is very effective !

Comment

• Horacio
            • Jan 2005

Mmmm...compared to which speakers, with what amplification, and in what kind of room?

I don't mean to come accross as a smart ass...but these are areally important factors to keep in mind, I believe.

Bass is very controlled and is "significant" (whatever that means, right?). These are not big bass speakers, though. 803s deliver more bass, for example.

The 804s don't go very low. My room frequency response curve drops sharply below 35 Hz. You could add a good sub for stereo (eg; REL Storm III / $1000 used) which I believe would make a big difference.

In my case, moving from a Rotel RB1080 to a McIntosh MC275 made a huge difference. While I loved the 1080 I don't think it was up for the task with the 804s (the issue being quality of power and not amount of power).

Finally, my room is 30x15x8 feet. Speakers are in the middle, very far from the back wall.

Bottom line: To me, bass is good. Midrange is great. Highs are very good with the right amp matching.

I hope this helps!

Comment

• Horacio
              • Jan 2005

[QUOTE=multivac]Well, that piece of wood just below the mid-range unit creates a separate chamber :T

Well that is correct, to some extent. That thin piece of wood isn't preventing vibrations from the woofers to be transmitted to the midrange. That piece is likely acting as a diaphragm, in a reduced scale. This is what I meant with isolation. Yes, multivac is right, air cannot move from one chamber to the next, but the air on one chamber will likely move air on the adjacent chamber.

Nevertheless, all this rationalization isn't worth much to me (even though it comes from me!! ). To me the bottom line is how they sound, and they sound good to me. Try to audition and let your ears and wallet decide. Do you like it and is it worth that money to you?

Cheers,

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

[QUOTE=Horacio]
                Originally posted by multivac
                Well, that piece of wood just below the mid-range unit creates a separate chamber :T

Well that is correct, to some extent. That thin piece of wood isn't preventing vibrations from the woofers to be transmitted to the midrange. That piece is likely acting as a diaphragm, in a reduced scale. This is what I meant with isolation. Yes, multivac is right, air cannot move from one chamber to the next, but the air on one chamber will likely move air on the adjacent chamber.

Nevertheless, all this rationalization isn't worth much to me (even though it comes from me!! ). To me the bottom line is how they sound, and they sound good to me. Try to audition and let your ears and wallet decide. Do you like it and is it worth that money to you?

Cheers,
                Well, this is easily testable. Just feed a 40-60Hz tone into the 804s and see what you can feel (with a finger or a vibration meter) on the midrange cone compared with the side of the cabinet. I would be surprised if there was not substantial isolation.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Charlieu
                  • Oct 2008

The room will really determine this. I had them in a 11 X 15 X 8' room and the bass was great. I moved them to a 19 X 25' room with a vaulted ceiling and they needed some help from a subwoofer.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"