X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

Bookshelfs or floorstandings for dedicated HT room

Hi,

Just wondering for a dedicated HT room if bookshelfs or floorstandings would be better?

Say B&W 805s vs B&W 803s just for HT.

Considering THX recommends 80hz crossover, I don't see much use in having a 3 way for the LCR if all the audio below 80hz is going to the subwoofer???
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Having used the N805's in my home theater and then going to N803's, the difference is huge, much larger sound, more refined, depth of field etc.....
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• William
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
      Hi,
      ...Considering THX recommends 80hz crossover, I don't see much use in having a 3 way for the LCR if all the audio below 80hz is going to the subwoofer???
      THX for the home is mostly a gimmick.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

SoundEngine355,

For HT, having towers for the mains is really best. I've had both bookshelf mains and tower mains. Towers really outshine bookshelfs in HT (and 2 channel).

As for crossover setting, I use 80 Hz with my 802D's. The 802D's sound great and the DD18 sub I have does all the low end work. A beautiful combination. You can look at the specs of your speakers and experiment with the crossover setting to see which works best in your room.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Ash
          • Dec 2004

If this system is purely for HT, then 805s would be amazing.

I used to have 805s as mains, now I have 800s. I listen mostly to music in stereo and in that regards floors stands makes a lot of difference.

However, for HT I was happy with 805s and 800s, Im not saying its the same, its just 805s were very good for HT. I dont think you need to spend on floor stands to be happy with HT.

Remember bigger speakers need bigger amps etc. Also spending less on the mains means that you have more to spend on better sub or receiver, etc. You see to get the best out of HT, you should have a balance in the quality of all the components i.e. speakers, amplification, sub, etc. Spread your money on the entire system, don't let your money be concentrated on the mains.

If you like to listen to music in stereo, then you will find it more rewarding to invest your money in the mains. Fot HT 805s will do great, the money saved instead of getting 803 can be used to get a better center HTM4, now you have a kick ass front speakers.

Comment

• kmcheng
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
            SoundEngine355,

For HT, having towers for the mains is really best. I've had both bookshelf mains and tower mains. Towers really outshine bookshelfs in HT (and 2 channel).

As for crossover setting, I use 80 Hz with my 802D's. The 802D's sound great and the DD18 sub I have does all the low end work. A beautiful combination. You can look at the specs of your speakers and experiment with the crossover setting to see which works best in your room.

Hope this helps.
            Theoretically, why would the 802D's with sub sound better than 805S's with sub when crossover is set at 80Hz? (Yes, I am ignoring the diamond tweeter here.)

Currently I am very tempted to change my fronts from 805S to 803D or 802D. When I auditioned them at the dealer, I think I can hear quite a difference in sound stage and depth. However, I am still puzzled by the theory behind it, since the 805S is supposed to be equal to its bigger brothers from 80Hz and up. I am hoping that what I think I heard was purely psychological and therefore can save myself the money to upgrade.

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kmcheng
              Theoretically, why would the 802D's with sub sound better than 805S's with sub when crossover is set at 80Hz? (Yes, I am ignoring the diamond tweeter here.)

Currently I am very tempted to change my fronts from 805S to 803D or 802D. When I auditioned them at the dealer, I think I can hear quite a difference in sound stage and depth. However, I am still puzzled by the theory behind it, since the 805S is supposed to be equal to its bigger brothers from 80Hz and up. I am hoping that what I think I heard was purely psychological and therefore can save myself the money to upgrade.

kmcheng,

Actually, you nailed part of it by saying the soundstage and depth of the 802D's is bigger and better than the 805S's. First off, the 802D (or even the 803D) has a much larger cabinet. The cabinet, along with two fairly large bass drivers, will make bass response will be much larger, more profound, with depth and tightness, than an 805S. As for midrange, the marlin head makes a BIG difference in this area. Super clean, wide, detailed, and so life like. I had N804s before my 802D's and the jump was astounding in all areas.

I would not agree that the 802D's and the 805S's are the same at 80hz and above. I do not think your reaction to be psychological. The 802D's are simply better in every way over the 805S's. I've heard the 805S's and I think they are excellent performers, especially for the cost. But 802D's and the 803D's are simply bigger and better.

BTW, I also cross over my 802D's at 80hz. I let my Velodyne DD18 handle the low stuff.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by htsteve; 21 February 2009, 08:39 Saturday.

Comment

• Charlieu
                • Oct 2008

(Still ignoring the diamond tweeter ) From 4KHz up, the 805s is putting out the same sound as the rest of the 800 series. From 80Hz to 4KHz, the 805s is doing it all with one driver while the rest of the series is using the FST and multiple woofers. Going back to just theory, having multiple drivers built to handle specific portions of that 80Hz - 4KHz range should result in better sound. Throw in room size though, multiple drivers may overwhelm a smaller room and result in worse sound than the single driver on the 805s.

What you heard at your dealer wasn't psychological, those two models are superior in sound to the 805s. The question is if they will be that much better than the 805s in your room at home. (No longer ignoring the diamond tweeter) My guess is yes.

Comment

• kmcheng
                  • Jan 2008

Many thanks to Charlieu and and htsteve for two great posts! Unfortunately, your posts will probably cost me several thousand dollars.

Here is another dumb question related to floorstanders vs. bookshelves. Do floorstanders really need bigger amp? For example, the 805S's sensitivity is 88 db spl, whilst the 802D is 90 db spl, which means the bigger speaker is actually more efficient. In that case, why would the bigger speakers need a bigger amp? I note that this is a very popular sales pitch, and I think my current amp's 150W per channel into 8 ohm is quite plenty. Is my dealer's attempting to get more money from my pockets, or does he have my best interests in his heart?

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

I think 805 bookshelves with a sub would be just fine for HT. I am using bookshelves
                    in my HT setup, and it sounds great. If the setup is just for HT I don't think you
                    need to spend the $$ on a floor standers unless you want to.
                    Greg

Comment

• kmcheng
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by GregLett
                      I think 805 bookshelves with a sub would be just fine for HT. I am using bookshelves
                      in my HT setup, and it sounds great. If the setup is just for HT I don't think you
                      need to spend the $$ on a floor standers unless you want to.
                      Yes I agree that the 805S are fantastic for HT. I have the 805S with the PV1, and the bass is very well taken care of. From my personal experience, I do not see how in pure HT usage the towers speakers can be better than the 805S with the sub properly tuned. The OP would possibly be happier if he uses the money designated for the more expensive tower speakers to buy a second sub instead.

Comment

• Charlieu
                        • Oct 2008

Here is another dumb question related to floorstanders vs. bookshelves. Do floorstanders really need bigger amp? For example, the 805S's sensitivity is 88 db spl, whilst the 802D is 90 db spl, which means the bigger speaker is actually more efficient. In that case, why would the bigger speakers need a bigger amp? I note that this is a very popular sales pitch, and I think my current amp's 150W per channel into 8 ohm is quite plenty. Is my dealer's attempting to get more money from my pockets, or does he have my best interests in his heart?
                        This is drifting off the original topic, so I'll make this short. B&W publishes recommended amplification power for their speakers. The fact that they give you a wide range for output power lets you know that many other factors come into play other than just the speaker itself. You are going to have to experiment and find out for yourself.

Comment

• htsteve
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Charlieu
                          This is drifting off the original topic, so I'll make this short. B&W publishes recommended amplification power for their speakers. The fact that they give you a wide range for output power lets you know that many other factors come into play other than just the speaker itself. You are going to have to experiment and find out for yourself.

I agree. In addition, I will say that since towers have bass drivers, and these need the power, that, in general, more power is needed to drive towers. But, not all power is the same, so some research, demo and experimentation is usually needed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"