X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

B&W vs KEF

So while on another forum a member had this to say about B&W. I found it laughable.

Not a big fan of B&W speakers, they lack the midrange... I prefer Kef (which is why I own some).

Aren't B&Ws the ones you can get with the diamond tweeter?
    and

B&W

I'm not a huge fan of them but they are nice speakers. For someone who doesn't care about a true, flat sound they are awesome. They make pop/pop rock music sound good. If you listen to Jazz, classical, metal, or anything not mainstream pop they really don't sound great since they have a habit of hiding the mid range which is where your guitars usually sit. Again, don't get me wrong. They are nice speakers, my second choice if I couldn't get these KEFs. I just prefer letting the speakers naturally produce a flat sound instead of running EQ's to achieve it. I was also looking at a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's I just didn't bite on them.

I have a pair of KEF speakers accentuated by an REL T3, powered by a Carver CT-seven pre-amp (receiver itself needs work so I won't mention it). I'm working with a dealer up here to get a Marantz since they don't carry them. If they can't get it then I'll buy a Rotel receiver.
    :lol:

So much is so very wrong with those quotes I dont even know where to start.
    B&W
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Hhmmm... I thought midrange was one of B&W's strong points? I don't have much experience with all the high end speaker companies but the B&W's I have don't seem to lack anywhere or need any EQ'ing. I run my pre in "pure direct" mode bypassing all dsp, tone controls, and EQ and they sing with all types of music including heavy metal (my all time favorite CD is Metallica The Black Album). And they surely don't seem to "hide" anything. One of the main reasons I even bought the B&W's is because for the last few years I've only been listening to headphones because I could never get those super fine details out of a loudspeaker system that you could hear from a good set of headphones. I find all fine details that I use to only hear with headphones being thrown across the room from a set of louspeakers....yes that includes the midrange. But like I said, I don't have the experience that some people have with all the higher end speaker companies so I can't personally comment on KEF. I do know one thing, the ones I have heard in a store the B&W's impressed me the most and sound most natural/neutral with the highest detail.

How's this for midrange...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDiU5riaQvQ

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

Wow ..that made me have to break out my Pink Floyd CD's again..... ;x(

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

What a joke!!!Invite the guy who wrote this, and make him come and listen to my setup 800d's and 802d's as surround with McIntosh, the day after his Kef's are for sale!

Comment

• KyaDawn
          • Mar 2008

Sounds like a KEF fanboy with a secret B&W fetish! :rofl:

Comment

• robert L
            • Jul 2008

did he listen to B&W speakers with a kenwood reciever from kmart or something, i have 703's with rmb1095 rotel and can u say MIDRANGE!, are u kidding me

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I let the first reply go and just ignored it, his second one I replied with a simple comment "Everything you just spit out is kinda funny. Funny as in false."

Tried to leave it at that, but it gets better.

hmmm I find that amusing as well. Despite what you may think I actually know my audio better than most. I didn't spend two years researching and listening to speakers for nothing (before making my latest acquisition).

The guys where I bought my KEFs agreed with me 100% on the sound of the B&Ws. Maybe those guys are wrong too. Who knows
              and

the product I bought was over $1,000 less. Seems atypical. It's not like selling cars.
              Besides, how much formal training and studio experience do you have? I would bet I have twice the studio experience/training of everyone in here combined. Say what you want about my ears but I'll laugh and disregard.
              After that, I just couldnt stand it any longer. Im one to think arguing on the internet is an uphill battle and just let it go, but I kinda laid into him a bit after that. Hes obviously talking outta his ass with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I couldnt resist. I ended my reply with this.

B&W

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

Not sure if it's allowed, but please link the thread if you can. Sounds too good to be missed!

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by robert L
                  did he listen to B&W speakers with a kenwood reciever from kmart or something, i have 703's with rmb1095 rotel and can u say MIDRANGE!, are u kidding me
                  Hi! I saw that you own 703's. I am considering getting them and actually going to audition them tomorrow. As you know that they are being phased out. How's been your experience?

Comment

• iiaudio
                    • Feb 2008

Well since B&Ws don't have a "true flat sound", It makes me wonder why TONS of professional mastering studios use the 800 series. I guess I shouldn't have put N803s in my mastering suite.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
                      :T

Comment

• Miyuki
                        • Nov 2008

I let the first reply go and just ignored it, his second one I replied with a simple comment "Everything you just spit out is kinda funny. Funny as in false."

Tried to leave it at that, but it gets better.

and

After that, I just couldnt stand it any longer. Im one to think arguing on the internet is an uphill battle and just let it go, but I kinda laid into him a bit after that. Hes obviously talking outta his ass with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

That looks like a nightmare setup. ha ha ha ... funny
                        Miyuki
                        :brunette:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

You don"t even need to be a real person to post on the internet.

So much of what is out there is questionable, although 95% of the time I take people at face value.

I think there should be more disclosure so people can get a feel for where the advice is coming from. Thats why i put my system info up so people know my bias/listening experiences (in my case a lower 800 series owning OTT cable nutter with a really nice little amp) If people disclosed stuff like "trade member" or "NY hifi club member" it would give a better idea where folks are coming from - although everyone is biased to some degree.

Of course the disclosure thing will never happen so reader beware.
                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• robert L
                            • Jul 2008

they r awsome, be sure they r heard with great amp though like one of rotels, im also using rsp1068 pre amp wich helps big time as well, im on concrete floor so i added the asw750 sub and WOW! the bass is sweet on its own though dont get me wrong but i just needed more, good luck u wont be disappointed

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                              • Jun 2006

When you get to the high end, it is just different flavors and they are all spectacular. To say that B&W, KEF, Revel, Wison, JM Lab, etc. are aweful or bad is just a joke.

And it happens here quite a bit too. Afew days ago someone informed me that I chose aesthetics over sound quality by not buying the new diamond series and going with the terrible outdated and underperforming Signature 800's.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Yeah, my 804s would eat your 800 signatures for lunch. Nothing but IKEA eye candy those things. But I am generous, I'll do you a swap if you pay for the shipping.
                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wgriel
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                  When you get to the high end, it is just different flavors and they are all spectacular. To say that B&W, KEF, Revel, Wison, JM Lab, etc. are aweful or bad is just a joke.
                                  You are quite right. The high-end KEFs seem to be excellent speakers and would be worthy of comparison with B&W 800 series.

I am of course a big B&W fan, but I can understand someone liking things a bit different.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wgriel
                                    You are quite right. The high-end KEFs seem to be excellent speakers and would be worthy of comparison with B&W 800 series.

I am of course a big B&W fan, but I can understand someone liking things a bit different.
                                    Oh, make it clear that I am not knocking KEF, rather the reasoning that was used. You know, since B&W has horrible Midrange and I like my music flat and all.

:rofl:

Now how do KEFs look on the other hand...... :W
                                    B&W

Comment

• Dmantis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jun 2004

Some people don't know how to describe what they hear. Some have no idea what they are talking about.

Some should leave well enough alone.

Comment

• joetama
                                        • May 2006

I have learned posting on car audio forums that there is really no good way to make people who don't know stop talking...

So anymore I just close the window and stop posting...
                                        -Joe

Comment

• marky mark
                                          • Feb 2008

[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                          picture is worth a thousand words
                                          well done

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                            • Jun 2006

Oh, make it clear that I am not knocking KEF, rather the reasoning that was used. You know, since B&W has horrible Midrange and I like my music flat and all.

:rofl:

Now how do KEFs look on the other hand...... :W
                                            Oh, I know. I was on a forum where a guy had a chance to buy new 802D's or a pair of mint condition 6 month old Revel Ultima Salon II's for the same price. I am obviously a B&W fan (love that midrange) but I highly recommended buying the Revels. Just too good of a deal to pass up and have your heard them, really impressive speakers and more comparable to the 800D's than 802's.

At least we can agree that other brands out there are outstanding too. :T

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                              Oh, I know. I was on a forum where a guy had a chance to buy new 802D's or a pair of mint condition 6 month old Revel Ultima Salon II's for the same price. I am obviously a B&W fan (love that midrange) but I highly recommended buying the Revels. Just too good of a deal to pass up and have your heard them, really impressive speakers and more comparable to the 800D's than 802's.

At least we can agree that other brands out there are outstanding too. :T
                                              Traitor! :B

Haha...I haven't heard the Salon II's, but would love to. For some reason, I've seen quite a few used pairs on Audiogon recently, usually for less than $14K (there's two listings now). Another website has them new for just over $16K. For a speaker that's just over a year old, seems like there is a lot of turnover.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                Traitor! :B

Haha...I haven't heard the Salon II's, but would love to. For some reason, I've seen quite a few used pairs on Audiogon recently, usually for less than $14K (there's two listings now). Another website has them new for just over $16K. For a speaker that's just over a year old, seems like there is a lot of turnover.

Wasn't at all impressed with the bottom end I heard from them. I was much more impressed with with a 30 year old pair of B&W Matrix series speakers (801). The Revels were great in their sweet spot , but the B&Ws had a huge sweet spot and better lows. Go figure.
                                                P.S. The Revels were driven by a monster Bryston (14BSST?) and had a pair of subs. The Levinson preamp helped a lot , but not enough. YMMV
                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"