X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Calling all Black Ash Owners - Scratch

I did see some posts from circa 2004, wondering if anything changed since then?

I have a very minor scratch on my Black Ash 803's, which I feel can be repaired. How can i match the factory finish? has anyone actually done this?

Could I try to contact B&W?

The scratches look almost like pencil marks.
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by atchudy
    I did see some posts from circa 2004, wondering if anything changed since then?

I have a very minor scratch on my Black Ash 803's, which I feel can be repaired. How can i match the factory finish? has anyone actually done this?

Could I try to contact B&W?

The scratches look almost like pencil marks.
    Try an indelible black magic marker.

Comment

• atchudy
      • Nov 2007

I tried a sharpie, and it left more of a purple mark that black.

B&W said this:

Hello and thnak you for your email. You can use a polish called Liquid Gold. Its almost like an Armoral for wood. This will help fill in the small scratches. If the scratches are too deep, you can try a wood wax or wood crayon.

--- Im not sure how that really helps me.

I found this place:

Would the crayon be the best thing? or should I try a dye?

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by atchudy
        I tried a sharpie, and it left more of a purple mark that black.

B&W said this:

Hello and thnak you for your email. You can use a polish called Liquid Gold. Its almost like an Armoral for wood. This will help fill in the small scratches. If the scratches are too deep, you can try a wood wax or wood crayon.

--- Im not sure how that really helps me.

I found this place:

Would the crayon be the best thing? or should I try a dye?
        I was thinking more in the lines of a Marks-a-lot, etc.

Comment

• Grasynoll
          • Mar 2006

I've used a Brite-Mark black (obviously) magic marker for small scratches and it worked great.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Briwax makes a touch up pen that works really well, Woodcraft sells it.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• atchudy
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Grasynoll
              I've used a Brite-Mark black (obviously) magic marker for small scratches and it worked great.
              Any pictures?

Does it blend 100% perfect if you cant feel it?

Comment

• Grasynoll
                • Mar 2006

No pictures but it blends fine. Wipe off the excess before it dries. Thin scratches only.

Comment

• Chunky
                  • Sep 2006

I had a few scratches that I wanted to remove, and I tried a few methods; here's what worked for me, and what I would suggest:

Liquid Gold: Really more of a cleaner than a scratch filler, even superficial ones. I didn't like the fact that it leaves a slightly greasy sheen.

Briwax: I used clear coat, which is absolutely amazing stuff on pristine surfaces. It does a decent job hiding superficial scratches as long as the cut isn't all the way through the stain. Just be aware that the original formulation contains toluene, which is toxic and requires a well-ventilated space for application. If I were to do it again, I'd probably get the Ebony Briwax; after getting to work with it for a bit, I'm pretty sure this would be the ideal solution for minor scratches and marks that don't need filling.

Briwax Wood Wax: This is a wood wax designed to fill deeper scratches and match color for those cuts that go through the stain to the original wood color. I got the Briwax Antique Mahogany, but the Woodcraft shop actually had another brand (FastCap SoftWax) that came in a nearly-exact match (#20). I used this instead, and unless you know where to look and what you're looking for, it's virtually invisible. As above, I'd finish with Ebony Briwax to really restore the finish.

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

• atchudy
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Grasynoll
                    No pictures but it blends fine. Wipe off the excess before it dries. Thin scratches only.
                    Mine just arrived. i will try it tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"