X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shtali
    • Oct 2008

Question regarding sound card - B&W 685

Hi,
    I have an HTPC with an onboard sound card.
    I have Rotel PRE 1070 + POWER 1070 + B&W 685
    The quality of sound coming out of the HTPC is much worst then a stand alone CD player.

I am considering buying a sound card + external DAC (as several distinguished members have recommended to me in the past..).

I am looking at the following:
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

It has some kind of external I/O console.

Is that a DAC? or do I need to buy an external DAC on top of that?

Thanks,
    Shai
  • newguy987
    • Nov 2008

I use a htpc for music as well as movies. All you need as far as I understand is a sound card-whether on board or separate, that can pass the information "bit perfect" to your receiver. I use the creative fatality pro with a spdif and fiber out. I use the fiber connection and it works pretty good. A simple way to tell if you are getting a bit perfect pass through is to play something in your htpc that is in dts. If the receiver shows a dts signal, then it's working. If not you'll have to change some settings on the comp. Hope this helps. As far as quality for sound cards, it really shouldn't matter as long as it's capable of the bit perfect transfer via optical or coax.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

A decent sound card and a good dac is your best bet. You don't have to have the BEST sound card out there if you have a really good DAC. After all it's just sending the information (which is important mind you), but it's the clock in the DAC that really makes the difference.

I'd spend a LOT more on the Dac than I would on the Sound Card, probably 80% of the total funds towards both.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• videophile
        • Sep 2008

I think you may do away with a soundcard if you get a USB DAC. Just connect the DAC directly to your PC via USB.

Have anyone tried Benchmark USB DAC, Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 and Cambridge Audio DACMagic? I'm considering Cambridge Audio because of its price but how's its performance vs. the pricey Benchmark and Musical Fidelity.

Comment

• shtali
          • Oct 2008

Haven't thought about a USB DAC. I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"