X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Future B&W Speaker Technologies

I've been to four B&W dealers in three states during the past month, trying to decide if I wanted to add different main speakers to my system.

I found it interesting discussing what B&W may come out with in the future, including my desire that they include like an 805D to their 800 Diamond Series line-up. Two of the dealers said their contacts at B&W had eluded to the planning and design of their next 800 Series (or whatever it's going to be called) to be constructed like the XT Series, which "feature an immensely rigid, one-piece extruded aluminium enclosure".

It was said that their current wooden cabinets are very labor intensive, and they have had difficulties keeping up with demand. (this may be a non issue now that the global economy is heading for the cellar).

They also felt the price would probably be much higher.

Is the cabinet on the Signature Diamond speaker made of aluminum?
  • cdika17
    • Oct 2008

From the signature brochure, "To create the main cabinet for Signature Diamond,
    for example, sheets of MDF are bent into shape with effortless ease on a giant hydraulic
    press. In seconds, the flat sheets are transformed into a single, formidable speaker shell.
    After that, things slow down a little."
    Chase

---------------------------------------------------
    Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1

They also felt the price would probably be much higher.
      Right, so reduce the cost of making the product by going with a less labour intensive design, then bump up the price. Good move.

All the more important that I look after my 804s then.

Mind you, you guys get B&Ws for practically nothing in the US (relatively). Until very recently our dollar was almost at parity with the US dollar and we are being charged $22K for a pair for 802D. A friend that just came back from Japan said they are paying about $10k for the same speaker.

I think B&W will continue with the 800 series name as they have worked long and hard on the brand.

It will be interesting to see if they come up with any new innovative driver technology.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

I found it interesting discussing what B&W may come out with in the future, including my desire that they include like an 805D to their 800 Diamond Series line-up.
        Yes that would be awsome for small rooms with a JL Audio Fathom F113

Two of the dealers said their contacts at B&W had eluded to the planning and design of their next 800 Series (or whatever it's going to be called) to be constructed like the XT Series, which "feature an immensely rigid, one-piece extruded aluminium enclosure".
        Just like Apple with their new notebooks cools.

It was said that their current wooden cabinets are very labor intensive, and they have had difficulties keeping up with demand. (this may be a non issue now that the global economy is heading for the cellar).
        The wood cabinet are so nice and yes with what is happening with the economy they might not have any problem supplying the market? But who knows when all goes to crap people spoil themselves. It is kind of like when you have a terminal disease
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas

Mind you, you guys get B&Ws for practically nothing in the US (relatively). Until very recently our dollar was almost at parity with the US dollar and we are being charged $22K for a pair for 802D. A friend that just came back from Japan said they are paying about $10k for the same speaker.
          Someone was saying they cost much more in England too than they do in the US. I don't really understand that?

B&W upped their prices in the US as the dollar slid below the Euro. Now I think they should lower them back down as the dollar has strengthened, but, I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

One of the dealers said that Russia had become B&W's largest market, followed by the State of California. Russia's economy and ours is now falling apart, so I'm wondering where they will get their sales?

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

It's definitely going to be a tough ride for all electronics manufacturers for a while. It will no doubt also slow the advances in technology as R&D budgets get cut to the bone.

I saw this one coming for a long time now. "Is this the end of Tweeter?

Circuit City isn't long for this world either.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by cdika17
              From the signature brochure, "To create the main cabinet for Signature Diamond,
              for example, sheets of MDF are bent into shape with effortless ease on a giant hydraulic
              press. In seconds, the flat sheets are transformed into a single, formidable speaker shell.
              After that, things slow down a little."
              I read about the 800 Diamond Series again and they use bent plywood and wood veneers. I prefer this, only because that is the way speakers and quality furniture have been made for generations.

As you said for the Signature Diamond Series composition, I didn't remember what MDF was right off the bat (having a senior moment), so I looked it up.

Medium-density fibreboard (MDF or MDFB) is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down softwood into wood fibers, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.[1] It is a building material similar in application to plywood but made up of separated fibers, not wood veneers. It is denser than normal particle board.

Large-scale production of MDF began in the 1980s.[citation needed] Its name derives from the distinction in densities of fiberboard. MDF typically has a density of 600-800 kg/m³ or .022-.029 lbs/in3, in contrast to particle board (160-450 kg/m³) and to high-density fiberboard (600-1450 kg/m³). Similar manufacturing processes are used in making all types of fiberboard.

MDF is also known as Customwood or Craftwood.[citation needed] Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind MDF together, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at sufficient concentrations, for at least several months after manufacture.[1][2][3][4] Whether these chronic emissions reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined.

It is a good practice to seal the exposed edged to limit the emissions from this material. As manufacturers are being pressured to come up with greener products, they have started testing and using non toxic binders. The raw materials are ever changing as well. Straw and Bamboo are becoming a popular fiber, due to the quickly renewable resource it presents.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I don't really care what the new products are made out of as long as they sound good.

I personally think the speakers are more expensive than they should be, but they certainly could be worst... look at wilsons prices...and all they do is assemble parts. and paint car colors.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  I don't really care what the new products are made out of as long as they sound good.

I personally think the speakers are more expensive than they should be, but they certainly could be worst... look at wilsons prices...and all they do is assemble parts. and paint car colors.
                  I care how they are made, as that is what contributes to their overall sound. And, if they're going to charge the big bucks for them, I want to know they have some semblance of value in craftsmanship.

To me, it's like comparing mechanical watches to digital. The digital watches may keep better time, but there is no heritage or craftsmanship.

Or comparing a Stradivarius Violin to a Chinese knock-off copy.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

B&W upped their prices in the US as the dollar slid below the Euro. Now I think they should lower them back down as the dollar has strengthened, but, I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
                    Wouldn't that be nice but don't hold your breath. Also with what is going on with the economy I would not be surprised if Classé doesn't shelf their SSP-800 upgrade and say Oh sorry, its the economy!
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"