X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x43x
    • Sep 2007

Help me pick 700 series HT speakers

So here's the story...

My H/K AVR85 died a few weeks ago after 10 years of service. I started looking for some new components and with my price range, the Onkyo 905 had the right amount of technology with the HQV Reon processor and HDMI 1.3 switching, THX Ultra 2, etc. I got a good deal on it so I placed an order and should have it soon.

Then I thought with the new receiver, I should look into updating my rear speakers since they are on the wimpy side. After looking at speakers for the surrounds, I soon found myself thinking about upgrading everything. My entire speaker setup are 10 year old Boston Acoustics and I think are in the running for an upgrade. I started looking into the B&W speakers after seeing them years ago and thinking that when I had the money, I would get some.

Originally the 600 series were my objective, but after listening (and seeing)the 704's, I think I like them better. So I have a few questions for the current B&W enthusiasts...

1. Onkyo receivers with B&W speakers? I know the Rotel components are the optimum match, and maybe after Rotel comes out with 1.3 HDMI compatible switching I will consider upgrading, but I don't want to get something that will hinder my enjoyment of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's for the time being.

2. Suppose I bought the 704's and HTM7 for the front three, what should I use for the rears? I live in a condo so currently I have my rears near the ceiling to accomodate a window on one side. I could run some longer cable and go further and down the wall and use some bookshelf speakers either on a shelf or on stands. There are also the DS3's which I could run close to the ceiling still and save some $$ too. If I opted for the bookshelf rears, would I need to get the 705's or could I get the less expensive 686's or 685's and still get good sound?

3. I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII. This should compensate for the lack of deep bass in the 704's. Any reason they wouldn't be a good match?

Most of my use for the system will be 90% movies, 10% music. The music I listen to is mostly hardcore punk, metal, and hip-hop. Here are some pictures of my current setup so you can get a better idea on my room limitations. Thank you for any and all input!

• Iggurk
    • Jun 2006

Hello!

If you listen 90% movies don't spend too much on the rears, it's only 10-15% of the sound, just for surround effects.
    If you have space issue you can perhaps consider the CM series too.

704 & HTM7 is the perfect match for HC IMHO.

For the amp I'll recommand you to listen to a Rotel 1075 or 1095, and also to the new digital amps too, the latest are great for HC, and you'll save space too.

Onkyo is rather good with B&W, especially with 60x series, a bit weak for 70x, but if you just use it as a pre it's ok.

Denon will also release soon new pre, with several hdmi 1.3, etc...

Regards
    Yves

Comment

• x43x
      • Sep 2007

Thanks for your input. I went and bought a used set of 704's and just ordered the htm7 center and ds3's for the rears. For right now I will just use the Onkyo receiver to power the speakers, but if the right price comes along, I'll pick up a 1075, and wait for a future Rotel Pre-Pro that has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for.

Comment

• pbarach
        • Feb 2007

center channel

Originally posted by x43x
        Here are some pictures of my current setup so you can get a better idea on my room limitations.
        I can't tell you how to do this, but I am certain that your sound will improve if you didn't have your center channel speaker in the middle of that glass shelf. I doubt if you're getting the best clarity of sound and frequency response when you have an area of hard glass right in front of the speaker, and all of that glass to transmit vibrations from the speaker back into your equipment.

Another thing to consider is whether you're getting the best from your left and right speakers by having them so close to the wall. If it's possible to move them out, you will find a much deeper soundstage is possible.

After you get your new speakers, you might want to play around with the degree of toe-in. With my 704's, imaging got much better when I used a laser pointer to aim them so that the tweeters were pointed at a spot about a foot behind where my head normally was during listening.

I did find that a sub was necessary with these speaking for music--I know it would be essential in an HT setup. I haven't heard the Carver unit. I use an M&K sub and I set the crossover at 50 Hz, which gives the most even response curve in my system.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by pbarach
          I can't tell you how to do this, but I am certain that your sound will improve if you didn't have your center channel speaker in the middle of that glass shelf. I doubt if you're getting the best clarity of sound and frequency response when you have an area of hard glass right in front of the speaker, and all of that glass to transmit vibrations from the speaker back into your equipment.
          I agree - try movign the Centre forward right to the edge of the glass shelf. Just adjust the centre chanels distance in your processor to be a little closer and the sound will blend in...

Geoff

Comment

• pbarach
            • Feb 2007

Geoff's suggestion is a good compromise to getting rid of the glass shelf and relocating the electronics beneath it. I would again suggest moving the speakers away from the wall.

Also, ideally, the "sweet spot" should be at one point of an equilateral triangle, with the front speakers as the other two points. All of the speakers in the system (except the sub) should ideally be equidistant from the listening spot, which means that the center would end up a little farther back than the front speakers. This arrangement generally gives the best imaging and most seamless soundfield in front.

Comment

• x43x
              • Sep 2007

I didn't realize the glass would cause problems. It looks like I would be better off getting a seperate audio rack and a stand for the center channel. Would the Anchor speaker stands help out with the floor standers on carpet?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"