X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Banger
    • Sep 2007

600 series

Hi all,

So im pretty new in all this Hi-fi stuff. Though i have been out looking at some speakers. B&Ws 600 series is pretty much as far as my wallet can go. Though im not really sure what the difference between the dm602 s3 and dm601 s3. Are they just a bit different in size?

Oh well besides that, i once heard that the major variables in sound are the speakers and cables? Amp is sort of a secondery. Is that true at all or..?

Thanks!

Cheers!
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Not true at all. While cables can taylor the sound a bit, the wrong amp speaker combo can be disastrous.
    You must get an amp to drive your speakers correctly, or you will be disappointed with you speaker choice.
    So once you decide on a speaker, the next important component is the amp. Next I would say choose
    your pre amp, then your source. Once you have a solid pre-amp-speaker combination, the you can experiment
    with your source and cables.
    Greg

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Banger
      Hi all,

So im pretty new in all this Hi-fi stuff. Though i have been out looking at some speakers. B&Ws 600 series is pretty much as far as my wallet can go. Though im not really sure what the difference between the dm602 s3 and dm601 s3. Are they just a bit different in size?
      Well, they do have different size mid-bass drivers as well. They are both fine speakers, but you will obviously get better bass extension out of the 602s. You could probably consider the new 600 series as well - I think they are priced about the same and they may offer some performance advantages over the S3.

Oh well besides that, i once heard that the major variables in sound are the speakers and cables? Amp is sort of a secondery. Is that true at all or..?
      Well, this can depend, but my subjective take on it is that the biggest variables are:
      1) Speakers and the listening room. Don't forget the room - it's vastly important!
      2) Amplification - this may be less critical with more of the "entry level" speakers than some of the higher end offerings, but still, is important.
      3) Source - some would put this higher in importance and I wouldn't argue.

Bill

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

I agree with the previous posters.
        1-Speakers are the most crucial aspect of your buy, indeed check the new 600 series they appear to be quite significantly improved over the previous gen.
        2-The amp is of course important but most of all if you are buying relative ineffiecient speakers, the 600 are not so you should not have a big problem. A variety of receivers, smaller power amps or integrated amps should drive them well.
        3- Cables are pseudo science, any decent thick gauge speaker wire will do, I use monster cable with excellent results, in 30 or so years of fooling around with this stuff the only time I heard a difference between cables was when thick multistrand cables came into the scene over 20 years ago. Going from 18 gauge to 12 did make a BIG difference, BTW monster came up with the idea (which wasn't really new at all, the fact that resistivity drops with cable size is a fundament of electrical theory).
        4- Source is relative, if you are using a digital signal from the source and doing the processing in the preamp you could use a $50 computer drive for all you cared. However, if you are using the analog connection, then, you want to start looking closely at your player's specs. Even then, however, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a decent player, although companies have tried to separate digital readers by enormous price differentials the difference between the best and the good are very small sonically and only discernible through the most revealing and expensive systems. Truthfully, with a setup of 600's and a midprice receiver/amp you would never tell the diffference between a megadollar CD or DVD player and a moderately priced sony. The only reason I have a CD player at all is for the convinience of a carousel player, I could just as happily play my CD's on my Xbox since I use the Xbox's digital optical audio out.
        Enjoy!

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

My experience has been - speakers, room, source (this assumes your amp is capable of driving the speakers). Changing amps, wires, feet, etc has always been a secondary effect for me. YMMV.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I concur. Media and room acoustics not withstanding, speakers are your most important investment followed by the pre-amplifier/processor, power amplifier (insert integrated amplifier or receiver here also), source player and then "quality" cabling.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• KRC
              • Aug 2004

I am of the theory that what you put in you will get out, so your source is your most important, followed by amplification and then speakers. As others have said, taking care of the room, speaker cables and interconnects, good stand for equipment and speakers will make the next biggest changes. Then you can argue issues about biwire vs biamp vs single, higher grade mains cables etc etc. But the bottom line is junk in equales junk out no matter what you have following.

Kevin

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                The only reason I have a CD player at all is for the convinience of a carousel player, I could just as happily play my CD's on my Xbox since I use the Xbox's digital optical audio out.
                I hope that's not the "only" reason. The Xbox is horrendously noisy. :W

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KRC
                  I am of the theory that what you put in you will get out, so your source is your most important...
                  If you drive your amplifier directly without the middleware of a pre-amplifier and such then this is true but not otherwise.

It has been my experience having spent countless hours comparing various pre/pros with similar and varied sources that the former's impact on sound quality and acoustic signature varies considerably from brand to brand whereas the latter has been minor to negligable in the majority of the cases that I have sampled.

Of course there are some exceptions to the rule but in general the pre/pro owns the signal.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    I hope that's not the "only" reason. The Xbox is horrendously noisy. :W
                    That it is :W Just have to keep it loud

Comment

• Banger
                      • Sep 2007

So what kind og source do you guys use? CD, super cd, LPs or raw music files? Mp3 or most of those compressed music formats are no nos, right?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

My opinion:

The 4 most important variables (and how I weight them in terms of cost) to account for are:

1. Source - software (for critical listening, my favourite is well recorded CD)
                        2. Source - hardware (approx third of total hardware cost)
                        3. Amplification (approx third of total hardware cost)
                        4. Speakers (approx third of total hardware cost)

Acoustic treatments, cabling, etc ... I regard as important, but secondary to above.

My first system consisted of a motor car cassette player & amp powered by home current fed through a transformer using Pioneer 2-way speakers. Every upgrade path was memorable as better sound was enjoyed and celebrated. When finances became available after necessary household expences + savings ... I'd start a planning process of what I'd want to buy and the reasons for it. True appreciation, I believe, comes after a path well travelled and nurtured.

I've owned B&W speakers for over 20 years. I hope to still own B&W for the next 100.

Welcome to the club, Banger. Good luck with your decision & keep us posted.

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Banger
                          So what kind og source do you guys use? CD, super cd, LPs or raw music files? Mp3 or most of those compressed music formats are no nos, right?
                          I currently use CD as a source, I'm going to get a record player at some point.
                          Yea. Compressed formats are a no in my ear. For the speaker range you are looking at, you can get excellent results from moderately priced components.
                          Rotel is an excellent first choice in gear. Cambridge also gets a lot of good
                          reviews, but I have not heard their gear in my rig yet. Both of those companies have gear well within your range.
                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"