X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Best Crossover setting for 803D/HTM2D

Hi,

I was playing around with my AVR and see my speakers are set to 100hz crossover, just wondering if this is the best setting for them?

What do you guys run?
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I'm also experimenting. The latest crossover which I'm trying out & liking: For movies I cut my 803D's & HTM2D off at 60Hz & bring in the sub at 60Hz.

For music, my preference is to drive the 803D's full range with no sub (analogue pass-through - with no processing interference) - I'm not there yet, though - busy researching dedicated CDP's.
    Last edited by ShadowZA; 16 May 2007, 10:24 Wednesday.

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

Nick,

Can you hear where the sub is when you cross at 100? A lot of people can. I suggest starting you testing at 80hz. This is kind of the standard.

If your sub is as good or better quality than your main speakers, I would leave the crossover at 80hz. If you sub is of lesser quality than you mains, I would try the crossover at 60hz and at 40hz even.

So much depends on your room, and the quailty of your sub.

If you haven't already, do the crawling for bass thing to find the best location for your sub. And set your phase for flatest response.

Regards,
      Darrell
      Last edited by dmccombs; 26 June 2007, 17:30 Tuesday.

Comment

• hd99yr
        • Apr 2007

I don't have 803d's but I read that 70 is the cut off for where you can hear the base coming from a speaker or a direction. Based on that I have it set at 60.

Velodyne recommends that you double your lowest speaker hz so that would be 70 for the 803D's.

Also depends on how much power the old sub is getting.

Like everything trust your ears and do what sounds good to you.
        " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• nick.h
          • Jan 2006

thanks guys. Currently I don't have a subwoofer. Saving up for the ASW855, but at the moment even if I could afford it I don't have anywhere to put it until the extension is done on the house. expanding the room another 6 feet.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"