X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amarkus1
    • Jun 2005

High-pass filters?

I have been toying around with using a sub for my 802d's since I got my F113. I am using a Krell HTS 7.1 as a pre. Currently I am using it in stereo mode which allows the use of a sub. I find running the speaker as small and sub set at 80hz gives me the best results. But using the HTS in pre mode (Krells mode for pre\pro bypass) achieves a better resolution but does not feed any signal to the sub. Also I will probably upgrade to a good 2-channel preamp with HT bypass some day. So this is where my dilemma lies, how do I run pure 2-channel with a sub without loosing any resolution. The two options I see so far are:

1- Use an in-line crossover on my speaker outs. I would run a filter between my pre and amp on the main fronts XLR cable, then run my pre out main fronts RCA to the sub. I will either run the RCA lines in stereo to one sub or probably ad another sub to run stereo. What I have found for this method is Vandersteen's adjustable crossovers. They will sell them as a stand alone unit which lists for $795/pair in XLR balanced configuration. Has anyone used these or know of a similar product? Do they take away from the sound or resolution?

2 - Use a high end capacitor set to the desired crossover frequency. I am not an electrical engineer so don't know if I have the skill to do this. Anyone try this method? How hard is to set up an in-line capacitor if possible?

3 - Any other ideas?

Now this week I should receive my MC501's to replace my KAV-2250. Maybe these new amps will open my speakers enough where I feel there is enough bass and this is a moot point. But until then any input or help would be much appreciated.
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

Since you've got no replies, I post one.

There is no "right" way to do this. Lots of different options though.

If you search this forum for 802 and subwoofer, or 802 and sub, you
    will find several recent threads on this or related questions.

Sorry, no direct first hand experience. Personally I think the 802 should be fine without a sub for most music - there are of course exceptions, big organs, big drums, some electronica, etc . . .

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"