X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krb
    • May 2007

What to play first...

I'm just about to complete the building and assembling of a new 7.1 system. Wiring is completed and rear speakers and plasma are mounted. I take delivery of the front speakers and components later this week:

703 fronts
    HTM7 center
    CWM650 sides
    CCM65 rears
    Martin Logan Abyss sub
    Rotel RSX-1067
    Marantz DV6001 DVD,CD,SACD, DVD-A, (bunchofotherstuff)
    Panasonic 65" plasma
    Sonos ZP100

Naturally, I'm pretty fired up.

I have scads of music I'm excited to play, but as I've never had a HT setup worth speaking of I don't own very many DVDs. So, what are your recommendations for DVDs with which to run my new system through it's paces?

Thanks,

-K
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Congratulations on the new system KRB and welcome to the forum.

If you have done this sort of thing before you will know that there may be a degree of tweeking involved to get things sounding just right. For that reason I would be starting with something that you are familiar with.

Others may disagree here but in my experience there will be a run in period for your gear (partly from the system, partly from learning to listen to a more revealing system - hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs here ie. telling you the bleeding obvious)

It depends on your taste in movies, but if I was pushed to pick a movie I would go with Master and Commander - I love the bit at the beginning below decks with all the atmospheric creaking and the footsteps on the deck above that you could swear were coming from your attic or ceiling space.

It sounds like you are primarily into multi-channel sound. If however 2 channel audio is also a priority I would start there and get that set up just right first.

I am sure that others will be able to suggest lots of SACD DVD-A titles. You may want to give us an idea of your taste. The question about "what sounds best" has been done in previous posts and there tends to be a pretty standard list of audiophile favourites.

Don't forget to post a photo or two on the photo thread above. We are a bunch of sticky beaks around here so we love to see what others have done.

cheers
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Hi krb,

Welcome to HTGuide Forum.

The best music DVD to show off your new system is Eric Clapton's "Sessions for Robert J". I have about 150 music DVDs and this one stands out from all the others. I'm a bit short of time at the moment so I'll post my reasons for making this recommendation shortly.

Briz, you said you would probably buy this DVD. Have you? No pressure...

Nigel.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bigburner; 07 May 2007, 06:19 Monday.

Comment

• pbarach
        • Feb 2007

He says he has scads of music to play, so he's looking for movie DVD's, I think, rather than DVD-A's. There are probably dozens of lists like that to be found here and there on the internet, including lists of useful subwoofer demos (depth charges, etc.).

A lot of people like "Master & Commander," which has very involving surround involvement even in quiet scenes, loud cannon fire, nicely photographed visuals ranging from dim, candle-lit sequences to sunny outdoors shots. It's not a movie I'd watch 20 times for its value to world cinema <g>, but it's a good demo disc.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

the openning of gladiator or saving private ryan are two choices.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• krb
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
            It depends on your taste in movies, but if I was pushed to pick a movie I would go with Master and Commander - I love the bit at the beginning below decks with all the atmospheric creaking and the footsteps on the deck above that you could swear were coming from your attic or ceiling space.
            Thanks, I'll check that out.

It sounds like you are primarily into multi-channel sound. If however 2 channel audio is also a priority I would start there and get that set up just right first.

I am sure that others will be able to suggest lots of SACD DVD-A titles. You may want to give us an idea of your taste. The question about "what sounds best" has been done in previous posts and there tends to be a pretty standard list of audiophile favourites.
            I'm not primarily into multi-channel sound, but I already have lots of 2-channel audio.

Don't forget to post a photo or two on the photo thread above. We are a bunch of sticky beaks around here so we love to see what others have done.
            Will do. Thanks for the rec!

-K

Comment

• krb
              • May 2007

Originally posted by pbarach
              He says he has scads of music to play, so he's looking for movie DVD's, I think, rather than DVD-A's. There are probably dozens of lists like that to be found here and there on the internet, including lists of useful subwoofer demos (depth charges, etc.).
              That is what I asked for... however recommendations for multi-channel audio would be good too; I have none of that.

Originally posted by pbarach
              A lot of people like "Master & Commander," which has very involving surround involvement even in quiet scenes <snip>
              Briz recommended this too. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Comment

• krb
                • May 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                The best music DVD to show off your new system is Eric Clapton's "Sessions for Robert J". I have about 150 music DVDs and this one stands out from all the others. I'm a bit short of time at the moment so I'll post my reasons for making this recommendation shortly.
                Thanks, I've not heard this one I'll take a look. It gets high marks elsewhere too.

Comment

• Dave999
                  • Mar 2007

For audio, Monster makes several high definition super disks. There is one for Genius Loves Company, and a few others. They sound great in either two channel or multi channel. They are not SACD or DVD Audio.

Kill Bill is good for demonstrating both video and audio.

Hero is also a good sound demo disk.

Good luck and enjoy your new system.

Comment

• Gremal
                    • Apr 2007

I don't know of any existing 7.1 content.
                    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• krb
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Gremal
                      I don't know of any existing 7.1 content.
                      Me either. But that doesn't make it invalid to create a 7.1 capable system. The Rotel should be able to utilize all of my speakers with a 5.1 or 6.1 signal.

Comment

• Ted
                        • May 2006

I like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan or Most of Band of Brothers (If I picked one disc, it would be disc 2 with parts 3 & 4 "Carentan" and "Replacements"). I think there is quite a few good parts in Pearl Harbor too.
                        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dmccombs
                          • Sep 2006

Black Hawk Down
                          U-571

Comment

• KRC
                            • Aug 2004

A really good one from beginning to end is "Das Boat". Another for surround information is the Pixar movie "Cars". Of course there is the DTS version of Top Gun. One for DVD music is Rush R30. I could go on and on.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"