X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

B&W CM-7's (Review Of Sorts)

Well I read the posting guideline and I'm good to go for my first post. I wish (and probably should) be posting something along the line of asking for help picking my new reciever or pre-amp amp, but I'm going to jump in with my impresssion of the CM-7's.

I'll preface with I know very little technically, only what my ears tell me mostly at this point. I do have a pair of CM-1's upfront at the moment (that's a different story), the rest of my current speakers (Sub and 2 Surrounds) are 8 year old Polk RT series.

I have demo'ed the CM-7's twice, each time they were attached to a Rotel RSX-1057 in 2 channel mode, no other speakers contributing to the sound. CD's and DVD were played on a Rotel RDV-1092. I did noticed that they were what I think bi-amped?

The first time the speakers had only been in the store for a couple of days and were in the "break in" process. This trip I only listened to CD's.

The first time I came away thinking the following -

1. The sound was very centered, there was a rather large center channel sitting on the floor in front of the equipment console and I would have swore much of the sound was coming out of it. I even went up to it once just to check.

2. While the sound was very centered, I didn't feel the sound really moved much outside the width of the speakers, it seemed the sound ran very parallel and somewhat straight with the speakers. I don't know if there is a technical term for this, but it didn't seem to fill the room much. Of course you could hear it through out the room, but from my listening position (front center 10' out) the sound seem to be coming right at you.

3. I felt they were a little sharp to the ears or a little bright on treble, or the highs?

The second time (week and a half later) I came away thinking -

1. First, the Fifth Element was playing to channel and I surprised how well it sounded. The two speakers handling all the movie sound. It was very clear, easy to distinguish noise from dialog and all. I wish I would have payed a little more time to listen, it was fairly impressive.

2. High tones were a little softer, less edgy?

3. Sound still seemed very forward directional, sound was not spacious. I did get up and move to the outside of the speakers and it seemed as though I was standing outside of the speakers.

I couldn't wait till the CM-7's came out as I looked forward to the front matches for the CM-1's. I'm going to maybe listen to them one more time, but unless something has changed with them I won't be getting them, kind of dissappointed. I was really hoping the CM-7's were going to be winners, but I think I'll look at some other brands for my fronts. Price is something to consider (1800 a pair is getting up there for me) but if they would have wow'ed me (either time) I would have bought them on the spot. The CM-7 seem ok but didn't wow me like the little CM-1's did. 704's a bit too much dollar for the budget.

I will follow up if I listen to them again and also what I look at in addition to the CM-7's.

Again, keep in mind thoughts from a greenhorn. :roll:
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

Welcome.
    Interesting observations. I have two questions for you.
    1) Were you listening to things you knew well? Soundstage depends alot on the recording. Did you find the cm-7 to have a smaller soundstage than the cm-1?
    2) If the cm1 wow'ed you, have you considered using them front and rear?

Comment

• wolfgang
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for that. Personally I find it is still a good idea to keep all speakers with the same tonal characters for a surround set up. Less distracting then when having a different sound coming from the front and from the back channels. See if you could borrow them back home for a weekend. Then compare again with 2 sets of different speakers to see if you like the effect.

Comment

• greenhorn
        • Feb 2007

I was listening to music I was familiar with for the most part.

As far as the sound stage, I do feel the CM-1's have as large or larger soundstage and the CM-1 opens the sound up earlier if that makes any sense. The music sounds a little more formed as opposed to separate sounds.

I seriously considered CM-1's for fronts and rears, but at volume for extend periods they seem to get a little pushed? My old little Denon AVR-1400 was rated at 65w per channel and if I was to stay in that range I might go CM-1 front and rear. As I'm upgrading the reciever I'm hoping to go into the 100+ at least for the front for 2 channel listening. As ggod as the little CM-1's are, I think there is room figuratively and literally) for some a little stronger up front. If I was in need of a compact system, had a smaller space I would recommed CM-1's all around 110%.

As far as loaner stuff it hasn't been suggested or offered? I think they only have 2 pair of CM -7's, one on the floor and one in boxes so maybe they are to keen to loan them out yet? i'm going to hit another store soon that I haven't been to yet and see what they got going on.

I felt the Bass on the CM-7 was good, don't know if the "bung" was in or not, speakers were about 4' + or so off the wall. CM-1's do Bass better than expected, but it's still a bit of a little guy.

Comment

• fordster
          • Feb 2005

Have a look at this review on B&W's website - http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...=766&secid=971.

It seems to refer to a similar issue that the reviewer solved by using the foam port bungs which they say improved the imaging.

If you like the CM1s why not use them all round but add a good subwoofer (or even two!) to reinforce the bottom end and provide the missing bass. That should also help with the volume issue. Or maybe take a look at the XT series (XT4 for fronts and XT2 rears) but you'd need a very good amp to drive those as they're not an easy load.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"