X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatcat
    • Feb 2005

Original Nautilus set-up

I've posted on this topic before, and appreciated everyone's input very much. Once I'm finally through building this system, I will certainly post pics.

I had originally planned on a B&W 802D/HTM1D surround sound system, powered by McIntosh MC-501s and my MX-135, possibly with the Velodyne 1812 sub just as charity for the neighbors. However, my wife balked at the intrusion of large "ugly" speakers (apparently these speakers closely resemble a very silly Japanese cartoon character over here in Tokyo) and greatly prefers the original sea-shell-shaped Nautilus. So do I, of course, but it brings in a whole new suite of challenges.

First, each Nautilus speaker comes with an active crossover, requiring four amps/speaker. Eight MC-501s would certainly suffice, but the current draw in my urban apartment would be tremendous (plus HT channels to boot), and I wonder how much I would really get out of these amps without proper isolated circuits. In the end, all would share two 15-amp circuits at best. Secondly, I could keep my MC-207 multichannel amps for surrounds, but considering the above power problem wonder if I should just buy another MC-207 and wait on the MC-501s for now as all the available channels would cover me then.

Also, these speakers are clearly ideal for 2-channel. I'm afraid 5 of them that's 20 separate amps!) is a bit much, and there are no well-matched options for surround. I will probably just go with SCMS for surround and skip the center channel (spreading the center channel between L&R), and wonder if a sub is necessary at any level. The Nautilus cover down to 20 Hz well, and have a 12-inch on the bottom. Yet that Velodyne 1812 certainly would be nice... I just can't imagine adding a cross-over to the Nautilus and dropping out the bottom part of the spectrum from the signal. It just feels blasphemous.

Thoughts, anyone? How would you all construct an ideal HT system with the Nautilus?
  • wolfgang
    • Jul 2006

Erm.... one of the multichannels Rotel Class D amp for each speaker would be a simple solution :roll: ..... however, if you have super human audiophile ears, you do need pile up your room with stacks of impressive looking power amps innit.

Comment

• worldys
      • Dec 2005

wolfgang's suggestion might be worth considering, haven't had much experience with digital amps other than rowland 201s but i was quite impressed, digital amps are reported to be much more efficient so it might solve the power problem you would have with so many amps on the same urban circuit

Comment

• Aldo
        • Sep 2005

:frypan: If you put Digital amps on the nautilus I.......

Comment

• Joey_V
          • Jul 2005

Hahahaha!!! ^^^^

Good one Aldo!
          Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
          Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
          System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Aldo
            • Sep 2005

Thoughts, anyone? How would you all construct an ideal HT system with the Nautilus?[/QUOTE]

I think the Nautilus are not a good choice for a HT lover!
            You can build a better HT setup, spending that money in other equipment!
            Now, if you love to hear stereo music wich demands a lot more than HT, IMO there is nothing better than the Nautilus!
            I'm waiting for my Nautilus pair, and I do love HT but my priority is with stereo and the compromise I made for HT doesn't bother me!
            You can't park 8 McIntosh 501 monoblock is a normal house, therefore I recomend you good stereo amps, maybe if you like Mc's the MC252, Just think that (4) 250watts for one speaker are 1000watts, and B&W said that 100watts are enough to drive them. (they recomend 500 for the bass but...)

4 Classe CAM2200 are a very good choice also!
            That way you can spend some money in a good transport, DAC, cables and a good Pre! :B :B

Comment

• dmccombs
              • Sep 2006

Fatcat,

Ohiyo gozaimasu...

Sorry, I can't answer your questions because my brain can't get past the logisitcs of your situation. I used to live in Tokyo and I can't image that setup in a Tokyo apartment (even in a large one). How many mat-room are you placing these?

Yes, (2) 15 amp circuits will be limiting for that number amps, and I doubt your landlord would want to run extra circuits although he may if you plan to be there a while and are willing to pay for them to be run.

If you are contemplating speakers of this size, I am guessing you live near Hiroo or Ebisu. Am I close?

Regards,
              Darrell

Comment

• fatcat
                • Feb 2005

Darrell -- I'm fortunate to be in a new building near Hiroo, with power that is about as good as it gets in Tokyo. Yet of course adding additional circuits here is another matter... it would probably cost as much as the speakers. The living room is plenty big, so no space issues for the speakers.

I may need to hold off on the MC501s, sadly, and use two MC207s (200 watts/channel 7 channels). I will research other power options with the landlord. In NYC, I once ran a line from the apartment below, believe it or not. Now that's a friend.

Aldo -- like you, I'm over 95% music, but would like to avoid setting up HT in another room. Thus the Nautilus would ideally double as HT with just two surrounds when needed (no center -- I'll split the center channel between them). I don't mind compromising on HT, as 2-channel is the main. I might go with just a McIntosh MDA-1000 D-A converter (passed through their MX-135 which is extremely clean) for music. I already have a nice Apogee D-A that I'll give a try as well.

Wolfgang -- a friend once used digital amps with a beautiful pair of Watt Puppy's. He used to be Michael Jackson's sound engineer and is one of the most technically-capable people working in music. There is no question these amps are the most efficient option, but even he was cautious about their sound quality at the moment. They need a little more development to compete. It could be a short-term solution, though. Not quite sure what you meant about the "impressive looking" amps comment -- why exactly do you think people buy the Nautilus? Do you really think anyone buys such a speaker ignoring its looks?

Comment

• wolfgang
                  • Jul 2006

Fatcat,
                  It was a reference to the 'all amps sound the same'' type of debates. I would think whatever amps you end up on your Nautilus would sound wonderful. I am not a rich man so I would have to make some choices and I think I rather spend my budget and time on looking for an good acoustics engineer and spend the bigger portion on getting the room acoustics and certainly five similar speakers so yes it would have to be five identical Nautilus. It is good to dream.

Comment

• fatcat
                    • Feb 2005

I'm afraid I'll have to wait until I one day depart from urban life and rented apartments before I can pursue the acoustic treatment path. It's clearly one of the most important yet least perfected factors, especially with the bass frequencies.

5 Nautili? I think my wife would definitely have a heart attack. But two is a great place to start.

Comment

• ac81017
                      • Aug 2006

I agree with the Jock! Wolfgang! My friend had started with an old JVC, then onto a nad,then a rotel and now he has Classe ;x( . He has has all sorts from Martin logan, B&W 801 matrix, JMlab top model that cost half the price of the snails, and now he has the 800´s ;x( ! He has just sold his sony 9000es, he used his 800´s as a demo in order to sell it, and when he connected the Classe amps again, the difference was very little :rofl: ! Maybe money has not limit for some, but the human brain and ears do have a limit! :T

If you want sound with loads of heavy and mean amps, buy a pa system :lol:

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"