• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Best CD source for 705 - how many $$$?

Hi guys
    I was busy saving up my dollars for my next upgrade (lower 800 series maybe), trying to keep my nose clean, not blow the cash, yarda yarda.... when I came across a picture of the Shanling CD-T100C and started reading the reviews. Now I reckon that would look "real sweet" on the top of my system rack and apparently it sounds pretty darn good, but would it suit my 705s. Would I be over capitalising if I never go to the 800s?

My current source is a NAD 562T DVD player. I figured that a good CD player was a logical upgrade. My almost local dealer was out of Shanling stock when I visited today so he suggested I try this SACD/DVD player with SONY written across the front. This machine had apparantly been super supercharged using gee whizz European components and renamed the JLTi SACD player (they are on the web). The price had multiplied many times (about 4 times), putting it between the Shanling 80 and 100.

Now I still get my 10 year old car serviced by the guys who made it so even thinking of buying a "bitza" goes against the grain. Also I think the dealer over did the sell as he seemed to be saying it was gods gift to the CD. How does that song go "Don't believe the hype".

Anyway the dealer generously let me take it home and it sounds a treat with the 705s. Best way I can describe the sound is "analogue". The female vocals on Sonic Animation's "the nothingness" had an up close emotional impact that I thought the 705s were incapable of. Snippets of my only SACD "Dark side of the moon" also sounded pretty amazing, particularly "money", and I am not that big of a Pink Floyd fan. These are only first impressions, I will need to spend more time over the weekend before I come to a firm conclusion, but it is looking like it is worth spending 705 sized dollars on a good source machine - maybe even an unlikely wolf in DVD player clothing (its pretty ugly to look at).

My question is, what are other people using with their 700 series? Are people spending the same dollars as their speakers on their source component (CD/DVD)?
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"