X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EastCoaster
    • Jan 2006

Sub's L&R Inputs - do both?

Howdy!

Here's another interesting question that I've been chasing recently - what do you think?

My B&W sub has discreet left and right line-in inputs (I think all do, no?). The B&W manual says to connect the subwoofer cable to the RIGHT line-in (Why isn't it the "Left", like so many other subs?).

But here's the question - my subwoofer cable has a "Y" adapter, and I can connect to both L&R inputs on the sub. I tried it for a couple of minutes, but didn't really hear any benefit. Is there any benefit to connecting to both L&R? Do you guys and gals connect to both L&R?

Thanks!
    • Nov 2005

HI East,
    There are several possible scenarios:

SINGLE SUB
    1. LFE: This is a mono signal and it could go into EITHER the L or R. Or it could go to both which gives twice as much signal but is usually no advantage.
    2. L & R stereo: Run L to L and R to R. This lets the the sub amp sum them together resulting in a mono signal.

TWO SUBS
    1. LFE: Being a mono signal it needs to go to both subs either L or R inputs on either sub. It can also go both L & R on both subs but this is not necessary.
    2. L & R stereo: Run L to the L sub and R to the R sub.

Here is the important point to understand. The L & R inputs functionally go to exactly the same place inside the sub amplifier where they are summed together. The amp does not know or care which one is used or if both are used. It's very stupid. It's not as though there are separate L & R amps inside like, for example, a stereo preamp. If that were the case, indeed it would make a difference how the L & R signals were connected. But not for the average sub.

There may be more cases but I can't think of them.

Sparky

Comment

• EastCoaster
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Karma
      SINGLE SUB
      1. LFE: This is a mono signal and it could go into EITHER the L or R. Or it could go to both which gives twice as much signal but is usually no advantage.

Here is the important point to understand. The L & R inputs functionally go to exactly the same place inside the sub amplifier where they are summed together. The amp does not know or care which one is used or if both are used.
      Hi Sparky! Thank you for your great description and generous time! You've reaffirmed what I suspected - that there would be no advantage in hooking up a receiver sub-out to both L&R on the sub-in. I was thinking that perhaps if the sub is getting twice as much signal (or some kind of a L&R signal - which would be odd given it's a mono signal!), that would result in a meaningful advantage, but when I tried it, I couldn't pick it up with my thick ears... I guess I'll stick to the "good book" (i.e., the B&W manual).

By the way, I've been playing with trying to focus the sound field from my four 805's and HTM4 - it's amazing when all five are in focus (it's like music in 3D!) and in comparison, rather drab when I'm outside of that sweet spot. What keeps running through my mind is: "why would anyone prefer 2-channel stereo when one can get a 3D experience?" :

By the way, I ordered the ASW825, which will replace the 700 series one. My neighbors won't mind, I'm sure... :W

Comment

• RNKC
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by EastCoaster
        What keeps running through my mind is: "why would anyone prefer 2-channel stereo when one can get a 3D experience?"
        Because some of us are pureists dammit! :W

Seriously though, when I listen to classical music I find it a little disconcerting to pump it out in 5.1 - I much prefer plain old 2.0 sound. I have a few DVDs that are encoded in PCM stereo or DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 and invariably I find that the 2.0 sound is better on my setup.

Generally I tend to get an almost 3D sound anyway with a 2.0 setup. I can clearly hear instruments placed on the stage both in terms of breadth and depth. So why "artificially" change that with a 5.1 soundstage?

Movies of course are a different matter - 5.1 all the way on those!

Comment

• EastCoaster
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RNKC
          Generally I tend to get an almost 3D sound anyway with a 2.0 setup. I can clearly hear instruments placed on the stage both in terms of breadth and depth. So why "artificially" change that with a 5.1 soundstage?
          I can certainly understand what you're saying, but my "3D" music is coming from SACD content through HTM4 and four 805S, so the soundstage I get is virtually seamless and is all around me... As I mentioned in other threads, it's really like being inside a sound bubble, with the music playing **inside** of me... :T Interestingly, I haven't heard anyone quite describe their musical experience that way, in any of the threads that I've read....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"