703 Mid-range driver seemingly 'blown' and dealer query...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azsyno
    • Oct 2005

703 Mid-range driver seemingly 'blown' and dealer query...

Hi all,
    I spent some time playing with my system parameters this morning. In Low Freq. Test mode I was trying to determine the source of a knocking'ish sound and isolate it to the frequencies at which it occurs most often.

Low and behold, it's the mid-range driver on one of my 703's and the noise happens at about 56-70Hz. Sounds like a portion of the vc. coil has separated and now it's a low level sound quality issue.

Anyone ever had this happen? The speakers are about 6 months old - at most.

I called the store where I purchased them. They'll be happy to test them and repair if necessary but it'll take them 2-5 weeks to get the right driver in stock. Meanwhile they're saying they are unwilling to demo me a set of speakers (of any type).

Wtf? :M

I have about $8k worth of equipment from these guys and don't really feel like being without speakers for this long. I'm even willing to look at 800 series speakers - to BUY.

So... tell me what you think on both issues if you care to...

Thanks in advance. ;x(
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If they told you 2-5 weeks without calling B&W first I would go off. Whenever we have a driver shot we usually have a replacement in 2-5 days...

Kevin D.

Comment

• Miroku
      • Jul 2004

that sounds really crappy of your dealer.

I recently moved to Raleigh, NC and I have only spent about $1000 on various cables from my dealer here and they've let me borrow all kinds of stuff... they let me hold onto a HTM3s for almost a month!

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Unacceptable, they can fly one in if needs be. I would not accept anything longer than 2 weeks, even here in South Africa.

Follow it up with the importer/distributor.

Kobus

Comment

• azsyno
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Miroku
          that sounds really crappy of your dealer.

I recently moved to Raleigh, NC and I have only spent about $1000 on various cables from my dealer here and they've let me borrow all kinds of stuff... they let me hold onto a HTM3s for almost a month!
          Yep... thought so. This dealer seemingly has all that I wanted - great showroom, knowledgable folks, delivery and set-up/system integration with everything you buy (for a small fee), and of course, B&W.

However, everytime I want that 'little' bit extra ie., some tweking to my set-up (with me paying the fee), they hmm and haw about no time, appointment back-up, etc. Now when I have a problem they want me to bring them in with my receipt (said they don't have a computer system that will allow them to look up prior purchases), wait for-EvAr(!), and be without my jewels for a long time.

Were I to buy a set from the 800 series, I don't think they deserve my money. :cry:

Disappointing - to say the least.

Comment

• Loner
            • Nov 2005

Look for another dealer, even if you have to drive farther. What you're dealing with should be considered minor to them. If they're not going to assist you when you're down and out AND you're already a good customer, I'd dump them. Before doing that, I'd speak with the shop owner just to confirm their "policy". If you've already done this, I'd say goodbye and good riddance.
            Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• worldys
              • Dec 2005

doesn't sound like a dealer worth giving more revenue to, if you can find another dealer in the area, mention to them your current problem and that you are conisidering an 800 purchase, i wouldn't be surprised if they offer to fix your problem in a couple weeks (it is really easy for them to just order a new driver and have it covered under warranty at no cost to them), my dealer has loaned me electronics worth 10,000 for over a week hoping to make a sale, that is a good businessman, sounds like your dealer doesn't have a clue about customer service

s

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                • May 2004

Hi azsyno,
                The exact same thing happened to me last month. Watching War of the Worlds, my Krell wasted one of the mid range drivers on my CDM7NT. I took the speaker to my dealer under warranty and he ordered both drivers just in case. It took about 2 weeks to get them in, 10 minutes to change them out. There is a B&W warehouse in Boston that we got the drivers from, they should get to you quicker than to me.
                I spoke to B&W in England first and they were going to send me the drivers directly. Good luck.
                Steel

Comment

• kurtholz
                  • Feb 2005

just call B & W North America, give them the info, they will send you a new driver overnight if you want, even if you have to pay for it, maybe $250 at most my guess, not worth waiting 5 weeks on for any reason

i would for sure, dump the dealer, no matter what they do at this point, poorly run store

good luck

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"