X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBullet
    • Dec 2005

CLICK with new cables

Today I changed the speaker cables and when I switched the amp on, a big "CLICK" sounded. It only happened the first time.
    Of course the volume was on minimun.
    Anybody had the same experience with new cables?
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

HI
    IMHO this had nothing to do with the new cables. It was probably either your amp. or speakers reaction to reconnection. I would recommend turning your gear off when making connection changes - for yourself and your gear's safety.
    Good Luck
    Eliav
    :T Socrat

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
      HI
      IMHO this had nothing to do with the new cables. It was probably either your amp. or speakers reaction to reconnection. I would recommend turning your gear off when making connection changes - for yourself and your gear's safety.
      Good Luck
      Eliav
      I don't see where you get the idea that he left his amp on, he says below "when I switched the amp on", which implies that he had it turned off when changing the cables.

Originally posted by vBullet
      Today I changed the speaker cables and when I switched the amp on, a big "CLICK" sounded.
      It could have something to do with the cables, perhaps one is faulty and is not aligned correctly (coupler mismatch of some sort) and/or something is grounding with the equipment somehow. There are a few possibilities if it is a problem with the cables.

If your amp was off and you turned it on and heard a clicking, and this is a problem that has only occured since you switched the cables, I would try reconnecting them (with the amp off) then turning it back on again. If it clicks again, try putting your old cables back on again and see if it happens again. If it doesn't then return the cables... You could also try troubleshooting each cable to figure out if one of them is faulty or if all of them are faulty (bad batch).

My amp makes a sound when I turn it on, but it isn't very loud at all, and it doesn't click.

Comment

• vBullet
        • Dec 2005

Yes, but the CLICK was only the first time. Now I've used the system several times and never repetead that noise.
        And all the conections are correct.
        Nevertheless It was only cusiosity. I hope this sound was not a problem.
        Thank You

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Then everything "clicked" !!

Just a joke.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it happened only that one time and you've used it since, I wouldn't worry. I agree with JKalman if it continues to go thru all those steps.

It could have something to do with you and the cables and the ground like an electrical shock you get when you touch something. As you were in the mixture and not later.

But if its working fine........ Then its working fine ?

Comment

• Wizard-of-Odd
            • Jun 2005

Did you unplug the amp or just turn it off? If you unplugged it and your amp has a standby curcuit, the click may have been the curcuit re-energizing.
            Just a guess on my part.

Kevin
            It's fun being the only grownup in the house.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Did the click come from the speaker(s) or the amp itself?

Comment

• vBullet
                • Dec 2005

I unplugged the amp. The click came from the speakers (both).
                PewterTA (Senior Member of these forums) wrote me that happened to him but with the interconnects. And what Misterdoggy says is probable.
                With the new cables I'm very pleased with the mids and hi's but not with the bass. Therefore I'm going to use the former cable for the low frequencies.
                I will tell you if something happens again.

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Just curious, what kind of cables are these?
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• vBullet
                    • Dec 2005

Jamo cable 2 x 2,50 mm (JA-JAM AG250), 3 meters each

Comment

• VikingP
                      • Feb 2005

Hi,

Originally posted by JKalman
                      It could have something to do with the cables, perhaps one is faulty and is not aligned correctly (coupler mismatch of some sort) and/or something is grounding with the equipment somehow. There are a few possibilities if it is a problem with the cables.
                      The speaker cables shouldn't be the problem. If anything was wrong with them, it would be a short, and that would either fry an amp, or just enable its protection mode. And your equipment should always be grounded, so that's not an issue.

What I think it is, is that you temporarily have DC at your amp's outputs (which results in "clicks" and up top mind shattering "booms"). This is due to the amp's delay circuit not being on long enough to mute the outputs. You probably never encountered this before because you always had your amp in standby, and so the DC at output was either absent (in standby most of the amp's circuits are powered) or was very small (and thus the muting circuit would take care of it). So Wizard-of-Odd's guess is correct.

That said, your cables are not faulty at all, and as long as you don't un-plug your amp, the clicks shouldn't reappear. When your amp is on standby, your output stage is most probably un-powered or at least disconnected from the terminals, and if that is the case, speaker cables can be replaced without unplugging the amp and just leaving it in standby. This is true for most consumer audio gear, but it really depends on how the gear's standby circuit is designed, or if it even exists.

Paul

Comment

• JKalman
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by VikingP
                        The speaker cables shouldn't be the problem. If anything was wrong with them, it would be a short, and that would either fry an amp, or just enable its protection mode. And your equipment should always be grounded, so that's not an issue.
                        Yeah, I misread his original post and thought he was referring to component interconnects, in which case the clicking could be caused by mismatching.

Comment

• vBullet
                          • Dec 2005

I agree with everything you are saying.
                          Today I repeated the same operation and nothing happened. Electricity has its own humour.
                          Other thing, I never use the standby possition. Think about it, it's only 3 w or 10 or whatever, and we are millions, so and the end it's millions and millions of watts wasted. That means contamination.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"