X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DClark
    • Jan 2006

Processor/pre-amp advice for B&W 804s

I just purchased a pair of 804s plus a Bryston 4bsst. I am coming back to audio after a long diversion. My other system is Quad ESL-63's , Vandersteen 2w sub ,original Theta DS-pre and a Audio research D-70.

I want to gradually build an audio/HT system around my new Panasonic 500u PDP. I have been using my Theta as a pre-amp along with a Denon 2900 to play the 804's .

I would love to upgrade the Theta for two channel but, Theta wants $8500.

So, here is my thinking.
    1. Arcam Avp700
    2. Classe' SSp-300
    3. Lexicon MC-4
    4.Linn Unidisc SC
    I am very reluctant to spend the money on the last three since technology improves very quickly. I am primarily interested in two channel for now. Later I will add the matching center channel and rears.

Would my Theta be better for audio than the above? Will the sound be that much better over 1988 DACs? Is the analog section of the Theta viable enough still to be used over the above. First post...Thanks for reading.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I'll make this real quick. I urge you to check out the Bryston SP2 pre/pro before you make any final decisions! You made a good move with the 4B-SST already. :T
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

I just e-mailed Bryston. I want to get my SP1.7 upgraded ASAP.

Comment

• DClark
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply. The dealer where I purchased the Bryston 4bsst has decided that the Bryston price point is too high for our market. He has decided that he is going to focus on Anthem? Doesn't make sense to me!

I was originally leaning towards the Bryston. I'll have to find another dealer.

I hope other folks will post their thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• JKalman
          • Nov 2005

DClark, I love my Bryston SP1.7. If you are going to listen to a lot of music, 2 channel, 5 channel, or both, the SP1.7 bypass modes are top notch. For decoding material my SP1.7 is also excellent. The newer SP2 should be even better at processing because of the new chip. Bryston has a 20 year warranty, and they offer upgrades at a reasonable price. Thus, I'll be able to send my SP1.7 in for an upgrade to the SP2 for a reasonable price. I'll let you know what the cost is when I get a response to my e-mail.

When choosing my preamp processor, the dealer said that if I were going to listen to a lot of music and audio playback was the most important to me, to go with the Bryston because of how great the bypass modes are. He stated that if I were more interested in the theatre sound playback, to go with a Lexicon. I don't know much about the MC-4, but the dealer let me use an RV-8 until the Bryston gear I ordered arrived which uses a higher end chip I believe, and it was great for Dolby and DTS decoding.

Like you said, technology does move fairly quickly, which is another reason I went with the Bryston, like I mentioned above, they have an excellent upgrade philosophy. If you can, find out what the upgrade policies of the companies you will purchase from are. IMHO, you can't lose when you can upgrade an older piece of equipment to its newest incarnation once every few years for 1/4 to 1/5 of the price. Also, Bryston's 20 year warranty is completely transferrable, so if you sell it down the road, the person who buys it can still partake in the product security. Those are the things that made it an easy decision for me. I don't know what your price range is though, so it may be out of the range you want to spend on preamp processor.

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

If the DACs are from the year 1988, I would say, definitely upgrade. Like you said, technology improves very quickly.

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Oh, BTW, I don't want to give you the wrong impression about the Bryston as far as decoding Dolby and DTS is concerned. I feel it is also excellent with soundtrack material as well. My dealer recommended Lexicon as one of the best in the industry because the decoding chip it uses for DTS and Dolby is rated better by a lot of people. Between the RV-8 and the Bryston SP1.7 with movie material, I honestly can't say I noticed any huge differences. So perhaps there is more of a difference when you are using a high end piece like the MC-12. Unfortunately my only experience with the Lexicon gear is the RV-8 and perhaps ten minutes of watching a movie on the MC-12. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you demo the stuff first and are happy with it (which I'm sure you would have done anyway).

Comment

• DClark
                • Jan 2006

Thank you very much JKalman for your informative post. I really like your reasoning about the Bryston product. I thought when I purchased the Theta upgrading would be possible,which it is, except I have missed 5 upgrades....thus the 8500 cost. I am anxious to hear how much the upgrade will cost.

Thanks again

Comment

• DClark
                  • Jan 2006

By the way,your suggestion to check company upgrade policies was on target. My dealer tried to move me to a Linn Unidisk SC- 1300 off retail. I e-mailed Linn to see if it would possible to upgrade to HDMI since the new units will have this. They responded NO.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                    • Mar 2005

What's your budget? Have you considered Meridian? They are in my opinion the industry leader when it comes to digital and multichannel audio. Their MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) is used in DVD-A. They were also the first to introduce Dolby PLIIx across the board on their products from their flagship 800 series down to their old 500 series. The G series which was just introduced also had built automated room correction and HDMI support. Plus Meridian has their MHR Smartlink interface that allows upsampling on all channels to 24 bit/96 kHz with all audio including DVD-A sent over one cable.

I have a Meridian setup with a 598DP DVD player and a 568.2MM pre/pro. I also have a Bryston 6B-ST. Meridian gear also has support for analog balanced connections. But many with Meridian gear choose to run the full digital setup by having Meridian Digital active speakers in their system. The output from the Meridian pre/pro sends the output in digital out to each speaker channel. Each speaker has a built in D/A converter that feeds the resulting analog signal to built in amps in the speaker. Many of these speakers are either bi or tri amped internally. Truely a state of the art company.

Comment

• DClark
                      • Jan 2006

Yes, I was very interested in the Meridan 568. My dealer's salesperson has said that even though he has attended Meridian's school the complexity of the set-up made him shy away. I know that's one person's opinion and I certainly can't determine his technical abilities.

Grazing the forums of various sites leads me to think that the Meridian CDP/processors would be a great match for the 804's. Also, I've read great things about the Cary 303 and BW.

Since music is number one and theater second, I am leaning towards something like the Arcam AVP-700 and then focusing on a high quality CDP/or external DAC combo.

Thoughts appreciated. TIA

One more thing, how is the Meridian upgrade policy? Can you upgrade units to a higher spec without spending a fortune?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                        • Mar 2005

Hi DClark,

The setup is a bit complex. A lot of it is due to...unforunately...poor documentation on Meridian's part. But their tech support is readily accessible and there is a dedicated forum that has a lot of long time Meridian users to tap off of as a resource: http://www.meridianunplugged.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi . I'm still tweeking Trifield on my system and will spend more time with getting the settings right when I move my equipment into my new sound room. I have N804 towers all the way around with a HTM-1 center.

As far as upgrade policy, Meridian has supported old products in the past and from my understanding the 568 and 598 are still going to get new firmware releases. But things like room correction will not be added as the DSP engines in the 568 does not have sufficient processing power. The old 565 had numerous firmware and hardware upgrades over its product life. The 568 had two hardware upgrades which were changes to the internal DSP chips to step up to the .2 version and then the MM upgrade which gave the 568 MHR Smartlink capability. But many owners found that it was cheaper to sell their older 568.1 and buy a used 568.2MM or even a new one depending on pricing. Like I said, Meridian came out with the 2.5 beta firmware ugprade for the 568 to give it DLPIIx even though the processor is no longer in production. Some owners were upset that Meridian didn't have a trade up policy for owners of recently purchased 500 series gear. They paid near full retail and then had the proverbial rug pulled from under them when the G series was announced. I bought mine not long ago but I got it at as a dealer demo clearance and paid about half of retail pricing.

Their 800 series has shown virtual future proofing as the entire setup is based off of replaceable cards like a PC. Depending on your budget, you can stretch to get that setup and almost be guaranteed to have sufficient support into the distant future.

Audio quality wise, I used to be a die hard 2 channel guy. I have a Classe CDP-.3 in my system and I don't remember the last time I turned it on after I compared the Classe to the Meridian setup.

Comment

• DClark
                          • Jan 2006

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to make the 170 mile drive to my dealer and discuss the feedback. Even though I am not an expert, my last visit seemed to focus on my own leads i.e. I had seen the Linn Unidisc and the Classe SSp-300. Since the salesperson was uncomfortable with Meridian we never ventured into that arena.

I poked around in his used room and saw Meridian equipment. I'll have to see exactly whats there.

Thanks for the thoughts and valuable info.

Comment

• Adz
                            • Jan 2004

I have a Bryston 1.7 soon to be upgraded to an SP2. One of the more important issues for me when buying an HT processor was hardware and software upgrades without having to continually upgrade every time technology changes. Bryston so far has demonstrated that its processor is "future proof" (maybe the only one at its price point and below) which is critical more so now with the much anticipated arrival of DTS and Dolby Digital's next generation HD sound formats. Theta, Lexicon and Meridan do but at considerably higher price points.

Although to be fair, the 1.7 / 2 does not have any video switching (or any video circuitry except the display) so a separate video switcher would add to the cost of a full step-up.
                            Adz

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

The SP2 upgrade for SP 1.7 owners has not been set yet but it is rumored, from a Bryston executive, to be about $1400.00. The new SP2 is priced at $4695.00. What you get for this price is the improved digital circuit board and the new micro-processor board. The SP 1.7 faceplate is expect to remain the same, although some discussion suggests that this may change. However, the one thing I LOVE about Bryston beyond the great sound, solid build and awesome warranty is their open door policy. That's right, they actually listen to their customer base.

I have witnessed on several ocassions adamant decisions they made that were later reversed just because of public interest. For instance, some time ago they thought about the possibilty of manufacturing their own source playback device. They abondonded the idea because of the rapid shifts occuring in the market place. Well guess what? They are releasing a hi-end CD transport player and outboard DAC this year inspite of the changes and uncertainties occurring in the industry.

DClark, something that you may not be aware of is that Bryston manufactured Lexicon's power amplifiers. Lexicon commands a very strong reputation in the controller market, as does Meridian. You would do fine by either. Personally, I prefer he musicality of Classe' to both of these when combined with B&W speakers. However, there is something about the Bryston aura that is just very aluring to me. Their passion and philosophy of quality sound reproduction is contagious!

Here are some new features of the new SP2...

• New C-SERIES Cosmetics
                              • RS-232 Software Updates
                              • DSP Firmware Updates via SPDIF
                              • New TI Aureus Audio DSP Chip
                              • 7 x greater Processing Power
                              • 6dB better noise floor
                              • Lower distortion
                              • DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround Decoding
                              • Dolby 96/24 Two-Channel Surround PLIIX Decoding
                              • Four Independent Hi-Pass Subwoofer Crossover Points: o Left/Right Front o Center, o Left/Right Surrounds o Left/Right Backs
                              • 7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in Dolby PLIIX Music & Film Modes
                              • 7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in DTS NEO6 Music & Cinema Modes
                              • 7.1 Surround Effects Decoding from 2-Channel Digital sources
                              • 7.1 Surround Effects Decoding from 2-Channel Analog sources
                              • 96/24 Stereo Decoding 96/24 DTS 5.1 Decoding
                              • 96/24 Matrix Surround Modes in 5.1
                              • Dynamic Range Adjustment per Individual Input
                              • New faster Micro-controller Board
                              • New THX modes – Advanced Cinema, Advanced Music, Advanced Games
                              • New THX Ultra Subwoofer Setting
                              There are other undocumented features that only need the support of software upgrades to enable. This is one of very few pre/pro's that are truly upgradeable (software AND hardware). Bryston also enjoys a HUGE presence in the professional music and movie recording industries. Other than their somewhat utilitarian appearance, you just can't go wrong with them.

My opinion of the "overrated" ARCAM pre/pro's and their combination with B&W's is shall we say... best left unsaid. They do make fantastic playback devices though!
                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• JKalman
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                Although to be fair, the 1.7 / 2 does not have any video switching (or any video circuitry except the display) so a separate video switcher would add to the cost of a full step-up.
                                This is true, and for me it made it an even better deal since most audiophile gear out there hasn't even managed to put HDMI into their equipment yet, heh, which I find extremely annoying. I might buy a Denon AVR just for video switching and then I can use my Denon link with my DVD-5910 as well. I must admit, I find it funny that a lot of the audiophile equipment out there seems to be fairly far behind the technology curve, whether it be DACs or cable IO.

Comment

• JKalman
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                  DClark, something that you may not be aware of is that Bryston manufactured Lexicon's power amplifiers. Lexicon commands a very strong reputation in the controller market, as does Meridian. You would do fine by either. Personally, I prefer he musicality of Classe' to both of these when combined with B&W speakers. However, there is something about the Bryston aura that is just very aluring to me. Their passion and philosophy of quality sound reproduction is contagious!
                                  Yeah, I heard that Bryston wouldn't compromise their design philosophy to make the RV-8 with Lexicon, and this is where their relationship ended, because they wouldn't squeeze more power into an integrated unit than they felt comfortable with for fear of compromising their work, and thus, their reputation.

Well, you know how I feel in terms of which pieces I think are worth buying if you are leaning more towards music playback. My main dealer sells, Classe, Lexicon, Meridian, Levinson, BAT, Bryston, Rotel, Arcam, etc (i.e. - Halcros and other high end stuff way beyond my price point). I am very happy with my setup and worship those bypass modes. If you are going to buy a sweet high end source, you want to make sure you hear that source, and not the flavor of your preamp/processor.

I would definitely make sure you demo everything you are considering. :W

Comment

• Adz
                                    • Jan 2004

The SP2 upgrade for SP 1.7 owners has not been set yet but it is rumored, from a Bryston executive, to be about $1400.00.
                                    Actually they officially announced the upgrade cost a couple of weeks back. Its $1,195.

I must admit, I find it funny that a lot of the audiophile equipment out there seems to be fairly far behind the technology curve, whether it be DACs or cable IO.
                                    This is true. Really only the mass marketers have the resources and the means to keep up with technology changes and do so on a real time basis .
                                    Adz

Comment

• sprakash
                                      • Jan 2005

For what its worth, I have the 804s(prev. N804) and an HTM3S(prev. HTM2) in the front and 602s in the rear mated to a Bryston 9BST. My processor is the Meridian G68J and I am totally happy with the setup.
                                      The room correction in the Meridian has helped a lot. Using the PC to setup the Meridian is not too complex if you are a little computer savvy IMHO.
                                      I strongly think you should look at the Meridian if it is in your price range.
                                      Cheers,
                                      SP

Comment

• JKalman
                                        • Nov 2005

Yeah, room correction is nice to have. I could use some myself. You really can't go wrong with anything you are considering, which is why doing the demos is so important.

Comment

• JKalman
                                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                                          Yeah, room correction is nice to have. I could use some myself.
                                          Though, perhaps, room correction might defeat the purpose of having bypass modes.

Comment

• Adz
                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                            There are other undocumented features that only need the support of software upgrades to enable. This is one of very few pre/pro's that are truly upgradeable (software AND hardware).
                                            Downloadable Parametric EQ software for the SP2 will be released late in 2006. Once the Hi-Def Audio hardware is all sorted out in the industry (i.e., Next-Gen HDMI v3.0), a hardware upgrade to acomodate HD DVD/BluRay would follow but some months later. Still... not bad, eh? Should make it a serious contender and alternative for those wanting to wait and wait for the new Hi-Def receivers and processors.
                                            Adz

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                              • Mar 2005

I wish Bryston would listen to some of their customers and put a HT bypass on their BP-25/26. I had some dialogue with James Tanner who frequents the Bryston Enthusiasts board on Audio Circle. He said they don't have any plans or desire to implement a HT bypass on these pre-amps. Pitty.

Comment

• DClark
                                                • Jan 2006

Thank you all very much for your articulate and informative posts. I am planning a road trip to demo what I can.The high end dealer that I've dealt with for years is listed on the Bryston web-site,but I did not see any Bryston product. When I mentioned Bryston to the salesperson, he tried to switch me to Linn, Classe, or Arcam which he had on hand.

I intend to ask if he plans to stock the 2.0. I'll report back after my trip...hopefully with hardware to drive the 804's

Thanks Again!

Comment

• PavelL
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DClark
                                                  I just purchased a pair of 804s plus a Bryston 4bsst. -----------------------------------------------------------I am very reluctant to spend the money on the last three since technology improves very quickly.
                                                  Can anyone tell me why some pre-pros cost that much? All using third-party DACs and DSP processors.... When costlier DACs can sometimes be found in mass-market products with a lot more features... Selling for a fraction of the upgrade cost of some other "fancier" pre-pros?!?!?... Is it Snake Oil? Or just cosmetics we end up paying for? :evil:

Comment

• JKalman
                                                    • Nov 2005

I just figured out how to use the ignore feature. Yay!

Comment

• JKalman
                                                      • Nov 2005

Thank you all very much for your articulate and informative posts. I am planning a road trip to demo what I can.The high end dealer that I've dealt with for years is listed on the Bryston web-site,but I did not see any Bryston product. When I mentioned Bryston to the salesperson, he tried to switch me to Linn, Classe, or Arcam which he had on hand.

I intend to ask if he plans to stock the 2.0. I'll report back after my trip...hopefully with hardware to drive the 804's

Thanks Again!
                                                      Since you are considering the Linn Unidisc SC for source material, I highly recommend you check out the Denon DVD-5910 for comparison. It's video processing is much better, and its DACs are more current (Burr-Brown 1792s). Though, the 5910 may not have as many dedicated DACs for music playback, and the op-amps might not be as good. Definitely worth a comparison IMO since the Denon is $1.5K cheaper in price.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                        • Nov 2005

The Denon DVD-5910 has also been receiving great reviews, including one from Kal Rubinson when paired with the Denon AVR-4806 in January's Stereophile. That review is what has sparked my interest in possibly buying one of the Denon lower end AVRs for video pass through and further processing of the DVD-5910 audio output (perhaps a 2806 or 3806). I've been very happy with the DVD-5910 myself and currently use it for all my source material.

Comment

• DClark
                                                          • Jan 2006

I just thought I would post an update. I have arranged for a home demo of a used 568.2 over the weekend. I've read the manual so I should really be dangerous...LOL. I still haven't located a Bryston dealer with the 1.7. within driving distance.

I plan to review the complexity of the system and see if I"m overwhelmed.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have found a dealer that will sell a G68J new for a great price. Will the differences in set-up/use be alot different between the 568.2 and the G68j? TIA

Comment

• JKalman
                                                            • Nov 2005

I would go with the G68J over the 568.2. For one you will have a warranty, and two it is more current technology. As far as being easier, you can download the manual from their website I believe, and also research its specifications there as well.

Comment

• Adz
                                                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JKalman
                                                              Since you are considering the Linn Unidisc SC for source material, I highly recommend you check out the Denon DVD-5910 for comparison. It's video processing is much better, and its DACs are more current (Burr-Brown 1792s). Though, the 5910 may not have as many dedicated DACs for music playback, and the op-amps might not be as good. Definitely worth a comparison IMO since the Denon is $1.5K cheaper in price.

I agree. The 5910 is a sonic and even more a video marvel. But I'm not sure why anybody would consider at this point in time buying any high end player much less the Denon at $3,500 unless you have money to throw away. Blue Ray and HD DVD which will decode Hi Def audio and video are just about here - this time for real.
                                                              Adz

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                                                I agree. The 5910 is a sonic and even more a video marvel. But I'm not sure why anybody would consider at this point in time buying any high end player much less the Denon at $3,500 unless you have money to throw away. Blue Ray and HD DVD which will decode Hi Def audio and video are just about here - this time for real.
                                                                Because the new format players will likely not process regular/old DVDs with the picture quality of the 5910 for quite some time to come. So if you are not going to throw away your old DVDs, and if you already have a very large collection of DVDs, it has the best video processor on the market for DVDs, something no other player can claim ATM as far as I know. Also keep in mind that when a player comes out that plays DVDs and new formats at the level of quality that the 5910 does it will probably cost more than double the price of the 5910. I also don't plan on getting involved in a format war, so I will be using DVD only until I get the Playstation 3, at which point I will start buying BluRay discs. IMO BluRay is a much better format, and HD-DVD was designed with cheapness in mind.

Someone running the Xbox360 department at Microsoft must suffer from mild mental retardation. They now plan on offering an addon HD-DVD player, which won't be used for games because it would mean a lot of extra development costs for companies who would have to make the games for both formats, the HD-DVD format and the normal DVD. I see that as being a huge waste of money when you can buy a dedicated HD player which will likely work a lot better and not cause overuse of your Xbox360.

One thing that I find more problematic about the new formats vs. the 5910, is the issue that some preamp/processors only having inputs for one set of 5.1 analog cables for 5.1 bypass. Using a switchbox to remedy this situation can often cause degradation of the analog signal. This is the main issue I will have in the year to come. Though I must admit, I'm very excited that I will possibly be able to buy an Ayre C-5xe next week, which will allow me to listen to all my music even when I send the 5910 in to the manufacturer for an upgrade to 1080p output.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                                  • Mar 2005

I just thought I would post an update. I have arranged for a home demo of a used 568.2 over the weekend. I've read the manual so I should really be dangerous...LOL. I still haven't located a Bryston dealer with the 1.7. within driving distance.

I plan to review the complexity of the system and see if I"m overwhelmed.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have found a dealer that will sell a G68J new for a great price. Will the differences in set-up/use be alot different between the 568.2 and the G68j? TIA
                                                                  The best way to setup the 568.2 (or for that matter any Meridian Pre/Pro) is to have a computer/laptop handy. The setup program is a pretty nice GUI that you can download from Meridian's website. You will need the 9 pin serial cable that comes with the 568.2 to connect the computer to the Pre/Pro. I think the serial cable is a null modem cable. There are a lot of different setup options on there. First step is to program in your speakers and their distances from the listening position. Then you can configure the processing presets.

The G68 will have MRC which is Meridian Room Correction. Allows the G68 to auto calibrate the processor to the room's acoustics. The addition of a 5.1 analog input and more 2 channel inputs. Not sure what else is different between the G68 and the 568 as I haven't entertained the thought of upgrading. As JKalman said, if you can stretch the budget, I would get the G68 as it's the current model, has a warranty, and will definitely be supported into the near/distant future with firmware upgrades and any hardware updates. The 568 can be had for cheap and is a bargain if you can find one in good condition. With me being a 568 owner, I know that support for the 568 will probably come to an end soon.

ETA: Oh and I think we're going to have similar systems. I have 4 N804 speakers and an HTM1 center. Velodyne HGS15 and HGS12. Part of the front end gear I'm using is of course the 568.2MM and the 598DP. The Pre/Pro is feeding a Bryston 6B-ST. My rear surrounds are not hooked up yet pending the completion of my sound room. But those will be powered by a Carver TFM-25.

Comment

• DClark
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

ZX10 Guy...Thanks for the tip on the serial cable...I'll make sure the salesperson includes this. Also, JKalman, great tip on the warranty. I E-mailed Meridian with questions about warranty support and have yet to receive a response. I directed the E-mail to the UK site. Maybe I should have directed the E-mail to the US office in Georgia?

If I do pursue the G68, I am really confused about which version to purchase. I am leaning towards the G68J. However, I am wondering whether one of the other models might be more viable like the G68adv which has the video switching and the outputs for the Meridian digital speakers. Maybe the G68adv would command a higher resale value on the used market? Any thoughts appreciated. TIA. Personally, at this point I am not as interested in the video capabilities as music performance.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

First, I would contact the office in Georgia. Phone support is pretty good as I've gotten through to the right people when needed.

Here's a listing of the various versions of the G68 off of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Meridian Forum:

G68J Surround Controller
                                                                      Analogue audio inputs - 1 x six-channel, 5 x two-channel (configurable), No tuner
                                                                      Digital audio inputs - 2 x six channel MHR Smart Link (configurable), 6 x coaxial, 4 x optical
                                                                      Audio outputs - 10 channels digital for Meridian DSP Speakers, 8 channels analogue

G68D Surround Controller
                                                                      Analogue audio inputs - 1 x six-channel, 5 x two-channel (configurable), 1 x internal AM/FM tuner
                                                                      Digital audio inputs - 2 x six channel MHR Smart Link (configurable), 6 x coaxial, 4 x optical
                                                                      Audio outputs - 10 channels digital for Meridian DSP Speakers, 2 channels analogue
                                                                      Zone - Analogue and digital for 2nd and 3rd zones

G68ADV Surround Controller
                                                                      Analogue audio inputs - 1 x six-channel, 5 x two-channel (configurable), 1 x internal AM/FM tuner
                                                                      Digital audio inputs - 2 x six channel MHR Smart Link (configurable), 6 x coaxial, 5 x optical
                                                                      Audio outputs - 10 channels digital for Meridian DSP Speakers, 8 channels analogue
                                                                      Video inputs - 4 x composite, 4 x S-video, 3 x component
                                                                      Video outputs - 2 x composite, 2 x S-video, 1 x component
                                                                      Zone - Analogue and digital audio, composite and S-video outputs for 2nd and 3rd zones

G68AXV Surround Controller
                                                                      Digital audio inputs - 2 x six channel MHR Smart Link (configurable), 6 x coaxial, 5 x optical
                                                                      Audio outputs - 4 channels balanced analogue, 6 channels unbalanced analogue
                                                                      Zone - Analogue and digital audio, composite and S-video outputs for 2nd and 3rd zones

G68XXV Surround Controller
                                                                      Audio outputs - 8 channels balanced analogue

Comment

• DClark
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Hello, I just wanted to update to say the 568.2mm is up and running with my new 804s. I'm using a Denon 2900 as a transport. Set-up is a little cumbersome since the dealer did not have the set-up discs nor the manual. I'm doing setup manually without the computer.I'm using the manual pdf from Meridian.

I've tried to to find the set-up disc software for download but, all that seems to be available is updates to meridian .exe. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I really wish I had a matching center channel to experience Trifield. During this demo period I feel I'm maybe going to be able to test 25% of the processors performance with the limited resources I have available. So far, the sound is great.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005

Go here: http://www.meridian-audio.com/download/components.html

Click on the link for Legacy Configuration Program v2.215 under the windows applications.

As far as Trifield goes, I like it so far. I'm still tweeking it though. From what others have said, you don't need to have a center to run Trifield but I've never tried myself. Also Trifield isn't just integrating the center to create a locked in center image but it also blends in the surrounds for ambience.

Comment

• DClark
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 18

ZX10 Guy, thanks for the tip. I have finally gotten the Legacy program to work Now if I can just find more speakers....LOL

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"