X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

Reflections on the System Photos

HI All,
    As a recent new member to the forum I need to do some catching up. I have been going through the thread that shows pictures of members systems. Boy, most are beautiful and some are out of this world. The amount of thought, effort, knowledge and money represented by these systems is heart stopping. Of course, I can't forget the actual rooms where these systems are housed. Beautiful indeed.

I am going to get some friends to look at the pictures. They really have no idea where HT can and does go. It's a treat for me. For them, it will be shock.

You are obviously and justifiably proud of your systems. I am too. Therefore, I feel very nervious about the remainder of this post. I hope my comments will stimulate thought which will make a difference.

That said, I have some observations. These are just my opinions that have no more value than that. It is frustrating to see the limitations we must face when trying with all our might to get great sound out of the rooms we have available. Architects should go to special classes to teach them the needs of an audio aware society. Nooks here, alcoves there, doors where they don't belong, walls that are too short, etc., etc. Most houses that are not specifically designed with audio or HT in mind make life very difficult for us. So we do the best we can to adapt the rooms to our needs. It's too bad.

Next, I see many rooms where the priorities are geared towards the beauty of the room rather than audio. And they are beautiful. Many of the rooms appear to be very bright with very little or nothing to soften reflections or even out the base response. Bare floors, bare walls, lots of glass. Not only will these rooms sound bright but the incredible imaging for which B&W speakers are famous will be defeated.

The other common problem I see is the lack of space for the speakers. Good imaging almost always requires that the speakers be brought out into the room away from the rear and side walls. Two feet is probably the minimum but three would be better. I realize this is not always possible for a number of reasons but it should be the goal. My 805's are three feet from the bedroom wall behind the speakers and about 4.5 feet from the side walls. Believe me, I don't have much space to work with. The bedroom is 15 X 12 X 8 feet. This gives about 9 feet to my listening location sitting on the matress with a pillow between me and the back wall (right, my room is not as nice as yours, for sure!). The point I'm trying to make is that the speakers, to perform their best, require us to adapt to their needs.

Please don't take my comments as criticism. I am looking at the issue as a professional problem. In general, the systems are beautifully selected, intelligently executed, and thoughtfully staged. Most I would love to have just as they stand in the pictures. But I would make changes to some of them for the sake of great audio which is clearly within reach.

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; 21 December 2005, 00:50 Wednesday.
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

You are speaking from an audiophile first that probably doesn't deal with a significant other telling you what to do with the room. More often than not, the audiophile is only one member of the room and they are required to work around the other members of the room. Although I like the look of sound absorbtion panels, most don't.

Architects will never adapt rooms for audio unless you go somewhere like Rives. Of the entire population that has some amount of AV gear, I would say less than 5% is hardcore audiophile that care about speaker placement, or even good sound for that matter. Because of this, designers haven't even thought of designing rooms around sound.

There is a another rant on audiogon about dealers and the internet and high end audio dying. This post is parallel to that one. High end audio is not dying. It's a very small niche in a niche market. It's a hobby. If you take away the products, the hard core guys will become DIY guys. My point here is that so many people could care less if their speakers are pulled out into the room or not. So, of all the photos that you see here, only a few of them are probably serious dedicated listening rooms where only the audiophile enters. The real world takes over and usability takes over.

You happened to find one of the sites where the 5% hangs out......

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Rolex,
      LOL!! Boy, you hit the nail on the head. I definitely am a long time hard core audiophile. The only significant other I must consider is my parrot who happens to like good sound. At least so he says. Awkk.

I'm not interested in validating others excuses. I know everyone has their own priorities and I acknowledge them. But, my goal is to reach those who need a gentle push into great sound.

In my career as a high end repair shop owner and chief technician I have have had a lot of contact with the audio public. I find three common mistakes. First, and most important, is folks do not trust their ears. Next, people think that a hi fi system is a collection of individual pieces rather than viewing it as a system where each piece complements the others. Last, most completely underestimate the role the room plays in the final sound. I will continue to address these issues.

Sparky

Comment

• Rolex
        • Mar 2005

I agree, no validating to be done. I am geeked moving to a dedicated listening room in a matter of months. First one ever. It happens to be my room, where no one else will go.. Which means you can bet my speakers will be 3 feet off the wall, with sound absorbtion panels in place. Should be fun. If you take the 5% that are hardcore audiophiles, and pull out the ones that don't have to share a room with someone else, the list gets many times smaller. If only everyone had the ability to have a dedicated audio room.. The world would be a better place..

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Rolex,
          I agree big time. Congrats on your room. That's very exciting for sure.

Sparky

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

Dedicated rooms are hard to come by, and in some cases, out of our reach. I'm envious of anyone who has one or a spouse who is willing to let them modify their home to that extent.

Several people here have commented that room treatment makes a surprising difference in sound quality. I'd love to read more about that, because I have almost no experience and no idea where to start. One other member here did post some information on this subject, but other suggestions would certainly be welcome. One thing is constant : we all love to improve the sound quality of our systems!

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI grit,
              A good place to start is to do some searches on this forum. Next, post your questions. There are many here who can get you going. But first do the search.

Sparky

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Since we are talking about dedicated rooms here, I thought that I would post this link, you can learn alot by looking at the details that were put into designing this room. I know I did, and will be utilizing some of the ideas into my design.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Rolex
                  • Mar 2005

It's true that is one magic room indeed. I've read that article a few times, learning something new each time. It has made me think, though. How many people would want to go outside everytime they wanted to listen to their stereo? It's an incredible room, but probably wouldn't see much use from me, as I wouldn't want to have to travel to that place just to throw a cd on.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Ha! Ive seen that room before, maybe 6 months ago, I saw a bunch of completed pics of it.
                    Its really cool to read that and see how it came about! I knew it was a spendy room looking at it before, but knowing everything that was put into it!...
                    WoW!
                    B&W

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"