X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Could you go back to nothing?

So audiofreak7's latest topic really got me thinking. The audio world is an addicting and expensive habit. We spend a lot of money on our toys in search for our 'perfect setup' and for the prestigious feel. Agree? And we get so use to what sounds really good that when we hear something that sounds bad, we instantly critique it in our minds. Agree? So let's say something bad happened (hurricane, financial, etc) and you had to sell, get rid off, or lose everything... would you feel the need to build it up again to be back in your status.
    Yes
    21.62%
    No
    78.38%
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Been there and had to do that. I was recalled to active duty in the Navy for nearly two years during Desert Storm. My military pay couldn't nearly begin to cover my total expenses, so many things had to go, including my Audio gear. I've built back slowly ever since, as life's other little prioritys seemed to come ahead of my audio gear this time around. I've been reluctant to go all out because those losses were painful and I don't ever want to experience that again. I've finally gotten to the point where I will allow myself to go all out.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Everytime I think about that, I just go to my sisters, or friend's house that doesn't sound as good as mine and am thankful I know what good quality music/movies can sound like.

Their's aren't a $50 setup, but it's not mine either. Makes me happy that I have it and I'm thankful each and every day.

Heck, even if I watch a new movie over at someone's house... half the time or more I'll come home just to listen to it on mine and get that smile on my face of how good it sounds.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

$50 might be a little low but, give me a $75 pair of grado sr-60's and a decent enough cd player (or mini system) and I'm about 80% of the way there in terms of comparable soundquality.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by george_k
          $50 might be a little low but, give me a $75 pair of grado sr-60's and a decent enough cd player (or mini system) and I'm about 80% of the way there in terms of comparable soundquality.

Good point!
          The old Boston Acoustic A40 ($99) and a Yamaha Natural Sound Integrated - 40 watts - $199 circa 1982 - and you've got something fairly good going on right there.

that's only $298.oo
          add a cheap Techniques Turntable $99 and an Apex DVD ($39.00) you're under $440 and kicking ass!

(I'm being serious) kind of...

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

I've worked hard and waited for years to build up to where I'm at. The tell-tale sign for me was about 10 years ago when I sold my old B&W 600 series 5 channel system to a friend. I ultimately replaced them with Boston Acoustics speakers. Every time I heard his system (my old speakers), I almost cried. Finally brought them over to my house one day to A/B them. It wasn't my imagination, or the room, etc.

The second thing that makes me think I'd never be happy is that I bought my B&W 703's (HTM7, 705's) and Rotel gear thinking I'd be MOSTLY watching movies. I'm so amazed by how it sounds, I've upgraded things (dedicated CD player, and am now considering the 1080 amp) to improve the 2-ch music. I never use to sit down and listen to music... my equipment changed that AND what kind of music I listen to.

Could I go back? I'd probaby just quit deliberately listening to music, and just leave it as background noise.

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I would hate to not have my system, but if I didnt it wouldnt kill me. As far as a cheap system I think I have you guys beat here, this summer I went to a garage sale and found a pair of B&W 600's, a Rotel 955 CD player, Marantz 2220b Tuner, and a Audio Control Octave stereo EQ. All for $25.. Makes a nice system for my garage.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                I would hate to not have my system, but if I didnt it wouldnt kill me. As far as a cheap system I think I have you guys beat here, this summer I went to a garage sale and found a pair of B&W 600's, a Rotel 955 CD player, Marantz 2220b Tuner, and a Audio Control Octave stereo EQ. All for $25.. Makes a nice system for my garage.

You should recieve some sort of award for that!
                That's probably the coolest garage-sale-audio pick-up story I've ever heard.

(And I've heard some whoppers) Hands down you win.

Comment

• george_k
                  • Jan 2004

Soundgravy,

I agree, hands-down you win. I don't think most people even have that much of a setup in their living room let alone their garage.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Btw, I meant something like some $50 stereo from Walmart or something. One of those little stereos. Even portable wouldn't do it for me. $50 would only cover the CD player.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

uh, scuze please, but how is this a B&W topic. I think they are soldout of 50.00 stereos.
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jeff
                        • Dec 2004

Lex, I think it's just because some of us visit this B&W site
                        so often, it's like a second home. When we want to talk, it feels natural to do it at "home" and among friends.

Jeff

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I remember my first "Stereo" I "made"........

I was about 12ish...

Had a pair of old old old car speakers... where they came from who knows? Then I had a beat up old portable CD player... Now, i took the faulty earbud headphones.. cut the ends off, and "disected" the wires.. hrm.. 2 wires in here.. must be "+" and "-" right? Well, hooked them up to the speakers.... WOW they work!!! It was like that for a day or soo.. then i noticed the wafferdales or whatever my dad had in the basement... They were in an inclosure! BRILLIANT!

Now here is where it gets interesting... found a cardboard box... used for crating something, so it had a cardboard lid that was removable.... cut holes in the lid, and put the speakers in it... WOW! They sound better!!!!

Then I got brave the next day, and took my dads 15" woofers out of his cabinets to see what the deal was with them? How they looked inside... hrmmm some sort of packing... interesting!

And here is where I got all "scientific" I took some crumpled up newspaper and filled my speaker cardboard box with it!!

I was so proud of me free "stereo" for my bedroom... I always wanted one.....

Now could I go back to that!? NEVER ! But hey, i was 12 and didnt know a thing about anything... I just took apart everything that I had to see how it worked!
                          B&W

Comment

• caleb
                            • Aug 2004

DISASTER STRIKES ! ! !
                            Of course I could go back to a cheapie system - better in my opinion to at least have some sound to listen to rather than sing to myself.

If you heard me - you'd agree! ! !

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

A good song on a $50 system will always sound better than a poor song on a $50k system.

Comment

• Eliav
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                So audiofreak7's latest topic really got me thinking. The audio world is an addicting and expensive habit. We spend a lot of money on our toys in search for our 'perfect setup' and for the prestigious feel. Agree? And we get so use to what sounds really good that when we hear something that sounds bad, we instantly critique it in our minds. Agree? So let's say something bad happened (hurricane, financial, etc) and you had to sell, get rid off, or lose everything... would you feel the need to build it up again to be back in your status.
                                I would. However, I would have to be realistic and probably restore other things first ( home, car etc.) personally, I have been in training for many many years, I have dreamed about my "high end" system for a long time, I have only recently graduated, and bought my first house, my first new car, and believe it or not, our very big house is half empty ( no furniture yet except for the kitchen and kid's bedroom) The HT with B&W came first ( thanks to my loving wife), now it's time for furniture, and then hopefully HT upgrade again....
                                Eliav
                                :T Socrat

Comment

• caleb
                                  • Aug 2004

Spot on the mark big burner.

Comment

• RNKC
                                    • Jun 2005

It's far more important to me to have music in my life than go without. So yes, if disaster struck I'd go with the $50 unit. Would I miss my Nautilus setup? Of course. But I would satisfy myself in the short term at least by knowing that I had something.

Comment

• JKalman
                                      • Nov 2005

When we die, we all go back to nothing.

For me it is decent gear or it might as well be the car stereo...

I started out with a Carver system and JBL speakers at 14. Ye ol' Sonic Hologram hath ruined me for life.

In absense of good gear, I just listen to the radio in the car or an occasional CD in the car as well. With great gear, I find excuses to sneak down to my listening room to experiment with the sound, or to just relax and listen to music.

I could go back, but I wouldn't appreciate it, the music would just be background noise, or enjoyment based on mental/emotional attachment instead of pure enjoyment of the sound.

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

Not on my watch.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"