X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Advice for CDM 7NT with receiver

I just got a pair of CDM 7NTs as well as the matching center. I also currently use an Integra DTR 5.5 AV receiver just purchased 7 months ago. Now that I have the b&w's I'm wondering if I should upgrade the power source. I'm not at the point where I can do seperates yet, but I thought maybe there is a better option for an AV receiver. I heard the NAD T773 mentioned as a good choice, but I don't want to try something else just to try it when maybe the result won't make much difference. Maybe I should just keep what I have for now.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve
  • Miroku
    • Jul 2004

Arcam avr300

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Hi Steve,

B&W recommend that you power the CDM 7NT with 50 - 150 watts into 8 ohms on unclipped programme. To get the very best out of your speakers you should therefore be looking at the upper end of this range, or even higher. At 85 watts into 8 ohms the Integra DTR 5.5 will do the job but a higher powered amp (or receiver) should deliver superior performance.

However, if your Integra / CDM 7NT combination is delivering quality sound at the volume you want (i.e. no clipping) then you'd have to question whether an immediate upgrade is required.

Comment

• BW4me
        • Nov 2005

Can someone explain what exactly "no clipping" means?
        I'm kind of new at some of this tech terminology and I've heard this but am still unclear. Thanks.

Steve

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Clipping is a type of distortion that occurs when an amplifier is driven into overload. The most common cause is when you try to get more volume out of your system than your amp has power to deliver. This results in the flattening of the signal peaks as if they had been clipped off, and the sound becomes hard and edgy. Clipping is the most frequent cause of burned out tweeters.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

Hi BW,
            I have the CDM7NT's also. I was using 200 watt Outlaw monoblocks and now use a Krell 250 watt Kav250a. The 7nt's love power. the more you throw at them, the better you like them. They can handle it. If your Integra has pre-amp outs, then you can experiment with outboard amps. I would wait until you upgrade to seperates and not waste any time or money on other receivers. There are very few that can hold their own against seperates, and even less that can do it for the same price.
            Jeremy

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"