X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Bi-amped my 703, wow!

I have compared music in a normal and bi-amp setup, with the 703 and a Rotel 1075 (5x 120W), using the surround channels to bi-amp, and the difference is awesome! I know it's only passive bi-amping, and the 703 are not that difficult to drive, so I never thought to try it...

After a first experience a few days ago with the 704 and a Denon receiver in another room, where bi-amping using spare surround channels "brought back the music" to an otherwise non-musical system, I decided to try it on my audio system, 3x703 and Sony SCD and Rotel 1068/1075.

After several A/B comparisons, I finally understood: bi-amping brings high frequency sounds back into the open (not drowned out by low frequencies), the bass drums hit more sharply, the mid-range is clearer, vocals stand out instead of being mixed with other sounds. My 703 felt "taller" and "leaner", its like seeing clear water instead of slightly muddy water. I feel the amp is preventing low and high frequencies from interfering with each other. Going back to normal setup made me want to "swallow to clear my ears" to hear the clarity again. The jump in clarity is comparable to the jump when upgrading my Denon universal player to the Sony sacd.

So I have left the L/R channels bi-amped, the center 703 in normal setup, and the 2 surround speakes disconnected. Surround sound can wait, clarity is what I want for now.

Ideally, I need a 2nd Rotel 1075 to bi-amp all channels equivalently, but just before christmas vacation, my priorities are elsewhere unfortunately!

I don't think a more powerful amp (like the 1095) would bring such a difference, I am using it well below it's rated capacity: I think the difference is caused by the separate amplification and the feedback dampening in the amp, and to a lesser extent the cables (nothing special about my cables, but I never tried by-wiring alone).

It's just like B&W claims http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...tion/local.faq

Christophe
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well you could use the 1095 to push the lower bass drivers and the 1075 to push the mid/highs... that would work out the best.

But another 1075 would work out equally as good. I biamped my 1095 and when listening to 2ch music the only thing I didn't like is it seemed to loose focus on instruments. As in it changed the imaging of the sound. It was enough that I quite the bi-amping to just a regular sound. I'm one that likes my vocals locked in the center and bi-amping seemed to remove that. Now it could be the fact that even though rotel says there's no such thing, but that the 1095 does in fact process the signal slightly differently for the "surround" vs. "L/R mains" going through it. I don't know.

I do agree with you I liked the increased volume, the pressence of the speakers is much more powerful and the over all sound was better, it was just the imaging that I thought broke down.

Now two 1095s... I'd be all set.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

csuzer: are you using an external crossover or are you sending the ful range signal to the speakers and using the B&W internal crossover?

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
        csuzor: are you using an external crossover or are you sending the ful range signal to the speakers and using the B&W internal crossover?
        Just passive biamping, full range to the amps and speakers. Just like B&W recommends. Finding an active cross-over that would match the n-th order requirements of the drivers, is too difficult for me.

Comment

• tboooe
          • Jun 2005

thsnks for the reply. i was wondering if there is a way to passively biamp with a 2 ch preamp. I only have 1 pair of outputs. Is it possible to split each channel into 2?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
            Just passive biamping, full range to the amps and speakers. Just like B&W recommends. Finding an active cross-over that would match the n-th order requirements of the drivers, is too difficult for me.
            Thats good to know, I was wondering if thats how most people do it, or if they go the difficult route.
            Good to hear!
            B&W

Comment

• asrovnal
              • Jan 2005

Please see my post under "Outlaw Audio vs Rotel to power 703s" Thanks

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"