X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobcatt
    • Oct 2005

B&W ASW2000 sub setup problems-HELP

I have a wooden built-in entertainment center in my living room. The sub sits in the bottom middle cubby hole on a shelf about 4 inches off the floor. It has about 4 inches of space on each side, back and top and is sitting on it's feet without the spikes. The sub needs to remain in the cubby hole.

On the music side it works and performs well, however on the movie side it sounds to me like it reverberates within the cabinet. I'm not sure if this caused the problem, but now its in the shop for a blown woofer. :cry:

My questions are....

1. Did the sub blow because of over heating and I need to vent better? I felt the air inside the cubby hole and it didn't feel unusually hot.

2. Do I need some type of dampening material behind or under the sub to control the revirberation?

3. Should I use the metal spikes or the rubber isolators on the feet of the sub?

I appreciate any guidance that you can give me.

Thanks,
    Bobcatt
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Placing the sub inside furniture kinda goes against everything I've ever read. I also saw that you said there were no other options.

I'd recommend using rubber isolators on the feet (perhaps spikes sitting on metal discs?). As for the cabinet itself, I'd say make sure the back of the cubby hole is removed.

I seriously doubt your placement caused the problem, unless it's a ported sub AND the port was blocked. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could offer some insight?

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

That sub in that hole may be acting as a semi-bandpass enclosure and causing more problems than you need. If you have to keep it in there, open the back of the cubby hole for ventilation and stuff the cavity with acoustic wool or fiberfill, you could use fiberglass but you dont want that stuff flying around a room.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"