X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

7.1 or stick with current 5.1

I have 800D fronts with N802 rear speakers, HTM2D center, and Velodyne DD12. For HT, I have a Denon 5085, Clasee CAM/350s amp for front 2 channels. I am thinking about going from a 5.1 system to a 7.1. I hear it is important to have similar rear speakers (not as important as fronts). I don't have the room for 802 rears so here are my options:

1) Stay with 5.1
    2) Go with 2 805w/Stands in rear (keep the N802s for the sides)
    3) Sell the N802s and go with 4 805s for side and rear

Any other thoughts/recomendations???
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

My question is, how utilized do you think your 802's are actually getting used as rear speakers? Can you truely tell the difference between those and 805's, and the difference, you hear, do you think it is significant to warrant the cost?

I currently have N802 as L/R, NHTM1 as center, ASW850 for sub and 4 SCM1's for surround and rear and for me, this is the ultimate setup in speakers and will last me until they die. I am exstatic with HT use and multichannel audio sounds great as well. Then again, I've not heard multi with 802's in the back...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
      • Mar 2005

I kind of migrated to this... I liked the N802s (Which I had first) so when the 800Ds came out I decided to buy them and move the N802s. I don't think this level is required for rear channels but not sure if a move to 4 lower priced speakers would be better.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Viper, I think your N802s are under utilized in surround duty. Unless you are a multi-channel music aficionado I would consider either sticking with the 5.1 scenario you have now and wait or move to the four 805Ss for 7.1 playback.

Surrounds in home theater applications are primarily for sound effects and not critical listening. I definitely would not recommend mixing the N802s and the newer 805Ss for 7.1 surround. One more thing to consider is that there is nothing discretely recorded in 7.1 channels at present. So you will be faced with matrixed surround channels in Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES decoded soundtracks.
        Last edited by RebelMan; 29 September 2005, 19:08 Thursday.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kirium
          • Sep 2005

Depends on how much multichannel music you listen to, i.e DVD-A and SACD. If you didn't listen to it at all, your 802's are being wasted, and 4 N805's would be the go. If you do listen to a bit or alot, perhaps the 802s would be better served at the rear and some N805's for the sides would fill the gap at the side and your 802's would be great with multichannel music and rear surround effects.
          Last edited by Kirium; 29 September 2005, 12:13 Thursday.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

For my room layout, my side speakers are close to 90 degrees from the prime listening spot. That left a lot of empty space behind me. What I noticed 7.1 added was sound. It filled the empty space. Most of the time I can not notice anything is coming from the back, I just notice a full sound from around and behind me. If your 5.1 is filling the space good, you dont need 7.1, just save your money.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

I think your room size will dictate how much benfiot you can get out of it ... if its on the tiny side stick with 5.1 if large then 7.1 will add quite a bit of dimension I think.

In terms of speakers ... they should all work - but think the room will play a much bigger part.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

SR 10 Viper,

If you did a lot of 5.1 SACD and DVD-A listenning - i'd say keep the 802 rears for that.. However if (as for 99% of people) it's movies, stereo or ProLogic IIx 7.1 then all of the 7.1 formats work best with identical or near identical rear and surround speakers for seamless panning and sound stage...

I'd seniously consider the much underated B&W SCMS which is just as good sounding as the 805S and optimised for on wall placement - creating less intrusion into your romm... 4 of those give an awesome sound stage...

Besides you could just about get these with the trade in on the older 802s...

Geoff

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                  • Mar 2005

My room is 24x16x8 high. I have about 4 feet behind my couch in the back.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

`I would stick with what you have. Especially if you are listening to DVD-A or SACD. I have 802D's for L/R and 804S' for surrounds and that's already overkill for surrounds.

I listen to either Stereo or HT so its either LR or 5.1 for me. No SACD or DVDA.

I think your N802's are overkill but what the heck !! There are no 7.1 DVD's really so why change those beauties for something less ?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"