X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

How do I cat proof my speakers?

So, I have a new 3.5 month old kitten. I thought he was going to be ok with my speakers as he never really showed any interest in them.

..Until last night when I watched a movie. First attack he managed to destroy the tweeter on my center channel, and on the second attack he managed to put a nice little scratch on the baffle of one of the mids on the center.

He hasn't touched my floorstanding 603s or 601s yet however.

My question is: How do i prevent more damage?

I figure putting the grilles on is ASKING for him to claw them up as it seems like a big scratching post. I realize it woould probably be easier to replace the fabric on the grilles than it would be to replace anything else on the speaker, but I don't know what to do.

I plan on locking him out of the livingroom while I watch movies until I figure it out, but I'm soon going to be living in a studio apartment, and i can't exactly lock him in the bathroom everytime i turn on the tv.

It's going to take a while to train him not to mess with my speakers, but I need to prevent him from doing any further damage, and declawing isn't an option

(Not that it would do any good, he bit the tweeter with his mouth, not his claws).

Would that sticky tape on the grilles be a good deterant? Anyone have any hints?
    My gear
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Congratulations on your new kitten! I love cats.

Well, the most effective method is to get metal grilles. Your kitty can't claw through those.

Otherwise, loud sounds are the best deterrent. Clap your hands loud and say "NO" when Kitty tries to attack your speaker. You could try citrus spray too.

What movie were you watching? One with lots of outdoorsy type sounds (birds chirping etc.)? I've had cats that would attack my speakers when they made bird-like sounds.

I would put the grilles on, since they're cheaper to fix/replace than the drivers.

Comment

• Kyle
      • Jan 2005

I was watching Mr & Mrs Smith, the machine gun fire from the center channel is what set him off.

I am a bit heartbroken about the center, but it's only money, right?
      My gear

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

kyle, all of the suggestions have merit. I have 2 Siamese, however only one of them shows an interest in the speakers - once again the center channel. Fortunately the metal grills on the 700 series are cat proof, as are the 705s on stands. I am more concerned about scratches on the vener and claws through the fabric of my projection screen. My 3 year old is an attention seeker, he sits behind the center channel and looks back at me waiting for me to yell at him. He only ever goes near the system when I am watching movies so now I make sure he is out of the room or is on someones lap before the movie starts. A water spray bottle also works (I use a mist spray in case I miss and get the speakers)

No speaker was harmed in the taking of the attached picture
        Attached Files
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Kyle
          • Jan 2005

I wish I had metal grilles! I'm planning on picking up some spray bottles as well. I may try my cloth grilles on my 600s with some of those double sided sticky strips on the bottoms of them, hopefully that will be enough to deter him from destroying anymore expensive toys

I'll post a pic of his damage later on so everyone can wince

Here's a pic of my little bastard:

My gear

Comment

• Somphon
            • Aug 2005

Kyle, I feel for you! I have 2 persians and a pair on stand. So far, only on my JM Lab 707 had the pleasure of dubbing as scratching post and has not upgrade herself to the 805. I also have a lot of antique furnitures.

I often says 'NO!' very loud, but the funny thing is, one never touch it again while another only does it once in a long long time as compare to other furniture. I think my 'NO!' was from the bottom end of my heart before it sank to the ground, so they knew I meant it!

Good luck!

Comment

• bcgator
              • Nov 2004

Hi Kyle,

I'm a cat owner also, I've got 3. This may seem like a tangential suggestion, but cats like to have their own space and territory. Something you might try, that almost always works (and for a multitude of reasons) is one of those carpeted cat condos that you stick in the corner of the room. Buy one that is multi-level, with some height - cats like to be able to survey their territory.

You can easily get your cat to enjoy it immediately by introducing the condo to him/her with some catnip sprinkled on it.

This will accomplish a few things...first, you'll give your cat a "home base" from which to relax and survey the area. Second, when you are going to sit down and watch a movie, simply sprinkle some catnip on the condo first....the cat will run over, get all excited, roll around in it and play. Which will easily distract him from whatever you're doing. Plus, in the case of males, oftentimes the cat will tire himself out and just crash on the condo and sleep for a while.

Again, this may seem completely tangential to the idea of keeping the cat away from the speakers....but what it does do it give your cat something else to pay attention to, lounge on, and call his own. Not to mention, those carpeted condos are the perfect scratching posts. People often ask me how I was gutsy enough to buy Natuzzi leather furniture with 3 cats - the carpeted condo makes it possible. Sounds simple, I know, but worth a try.

BTW, everyone else's suggestions are outstanding as well, including the single clap and yell, and the water spray bottle. Cats are extremely intelligent, and you've got yours at a young enough age to train it easily. Just be patient, and remember....cats don't do what you want them to do. Cats do what they want to do. The trick is to give them something they want to do more than they want to mess with your speakers, and that they'll enjoy more than being yelled at.

Eric
              bcgator

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kyle
                So, I have a new 3.5 month old kitten. I thought he was going to be ok with my speakers as he never really showed any interest in them.

..Until last night when I watched a movie. First attack he managed to destroy the tweeter on my center channel, and on the second attack he managed to put a nice little scratch on the baffle of one of the mids on the center.

He hasn't touched my floorstanding 603s or 601s yet however.

My question is: How do i prevent more damage?
                Return him. :lol:
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Parsonsk
                  • Nov 2004

how do you cat proof??
                  get rid of the damn thing, that's a good start!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Scratching Post

I have a cat that used to scratch the covers of my old 703S'.

I bought a scratching post and put it directly in front of the speaker. It has a string and ball at the top and wrapped with cord tightly all around. He loves it so much that he has never gone back to the speakers.

The point it that its natural for cats to fulfull the instinct to "sharpen" their claws and a scratching post is like Nirvana for a Cat. He will never look at the speaker again. If he does a quick firm "NO" and nothing at the scratching post, he will pick it up right away. :T

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

Parsonsk has the only viable solution to all your problems.

GET RID OF IT.

I found that a .22 slug made all the difference! ! !

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Scratching Post Image

Come on guys cut the guy some slack. !! Its his family pet. ;-x

I mean if its not, get rid of it of course. If It is then try the scratching post. It worked for me.

Here's an image, right in front of my cherished 802D's. If I saw the cat scratching the 802D I don't know what I would do, but it would be something the Cat wouldn't forget. :f>

But the truth is as soon as the scratching post came, all the cats attention went to it and nothing else. Its very natural instinct to use it.

Attached Files

Comment

• brac
                          • Aug 2005

I would consider putting up an electric fence around the cat!!!!!!! The speakers are just to cute to lock up....

Comment

• Kyle
                            • Jan 2005

Heh, oh i thought about the electric fence.

My problem isn't so much scratching (he seems to really like the cardboard) but rather the good old fashioned curiosity. I mean that little tweeter spitting out all sorts of strange noises? What animal wouldn't want to chew on it

So far so good with my cloth grilles on and a squirt bottle. He is sitting here next to me and doesn't seem to have a care in the world other than licking himself.
                            My gear

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"